.224 Valkyrie

Another recent one.

Customer wanted a .224 Valkyrie, and we chewed over the pro's and cons of an AR or bolt action build.

The Valkyrie is a fussy round. I hate to say that, but it is, and i'm certain its down to average brass. I keep hoping one of the Gucci brass guys will take it, and we live in hope.

Its a very strange cartridge. The best I can consistently get, after hours of experimentation, is around half inch groups, in either platform. Whilst its no tack driver at 100 yards, the little cartridge belies its long range performance.

I remember shooting my AR at diggle, with a guy either side of me shoot AR223's. It was blowing a gale, and I was holding the V bull at 300 yards with mine. The two guys either side, were getting blown off the target, onto the backer.

Despite running very little more powder than a 223, it will shove a 90 grain, faster than a 77, from an AR in 223, and that's its real beauty.

A friend has hammered gongs out to 800 in wind with his, so there is a very real advantage over a .223 in wind, with it.

Parts are an issue. If you go the AR route, it has to be a 6.8SPC bolt head and mags. If you go bolt route, this action, or the TL3 , is it, in custom. Bighorn do a dedicated bolt head for it.

I believe there are factory guns from moss berg, and possibly remington appearing too.

This is a bighorn Origin, from good old Paddy.

Z5swxpA.jpg

It has a sassen 1-7" cut rifled blank fitted, in Rem Varmint profile, M18 thread and one of my 3 port brakes fitted.

5hY1bRk.jpg

Trigger is a Bix n Andy.

G7X9U2A.jpg

Its sat in an Accuracy International AT stock.

Paint on the metalwork is Magpul FDE.

Paint on the skins is the same, with various other shades .

Skins are a pain....if you are prepared to do them right, that is.

These were degreased, then blasted. Degreased again, then a special self etching plastic primer applied. You then have to get the base coat on, as the primer flashes off.

Into the oven for a low bake. Then another colour, and a low bake, repeat as many times as you have different colours....

Takes a long time.

QqnSNZy.jpg

The magazine is a standard AICS with my small cartridge conversion fitted.

This action is control round feed, so works beautifully with such a little case.

i4iek2D.jpg

The 90's are doing 2900 fps from 26 grains of powder.

It would go harder as their is no pressure there, but I dont want to trash the primer pockets, as the starline brass has a reputation for it.

4 hours ago, baldie said:

It would go harder as their is no pressure there, but I dont want to trash the primer pockets, as the starline brass has a reputation for it.

That’s plenty enough to cruise along at, bet it shoots lovely. I’m seeing 2920 with 85’s in the 223ai with a 25” barrel which is 120fps off the max MV I saw on the ladder test.

I am achieving 2811ft/s with my Remington 700 .223 (20" barrel), using 69gr Sierra MatchKing bullets (shoot it out to 600 yards at Diggle). Agreed however, that it does suffer in the wind. 

4 hours ago, rangerunner said:

My 224 Valkyrie isn’t doing too bad with Hornady 88gr ELD’s. Using 24.2 gr of RS52, 27” barrel. 10 shot group, Av vel 2718 ft/sec.   S.D. 9.3.  0.62 MOA on Fclass face , 

600 yards

47015331-D1B2-4AE9-B4C5-4F2424141371.jpeg

1C92607B-D684-43C9-87F4-8EF44AA1D2EF.png

I need to get me some of them 88's John. Its the Darling bullet in the states for the Valk.

Thats a really nice group.

Running starline brass ?

On 11/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, baldie said:

Another recent one.

Customer wanted a .224 Valkyrie, and we chewed over the pro's and cons of an AR or bolt action build.

The Valkyrie is a fussy round. I hate to say that, but it is, and i'm certain its down to average brass. I keep hoping one of the Gucci brass guys will take it, and we live in hope.

Its a very strange cartridge. The best I can consistently get, after hours of experimentation, is around half inch groups, in either platform. Whilst its no tack driver at 100 yards, the little cartridge belies its long range performance.

I remember shooting my AR at diggle, with a guy either side of me shoot AR223's. It was blowing a gale, and I was holding the V bull at 300 yards with mine. The two guys either side, were getting blown off the target, onto the backer.

Despite running very little more powder than a 223, it will shove a 90 grain, faster than a 77, from an AR in 223, and that's its real beauty.

A friend has hammered gongs out to 800 in wind with his, so there is a very real advantage over a .223 in wind, with it.

Parts are an issue. If you go the AR route, it has to be a 6.8SPC bolt head and mags. If you go bolt route, this action, or the TL3 , is it, in custom. Bighorn do a dedicated bolt head for it.

I believe there are factory guns from moss berg, and possibly remington appearing too.

This is a bighorn Origin, from good old Paddy.

Z5swxpA.jpg

It has a sassen 1-7" cut rifled blank fitted, in Rem Varmint profile, M18 thread and one of my 3 port brakes fitted.

5hY1bRk.jpg

Trigger is a Bix n Andy.

G7X9U2A.jpg

Its sat in an Accuracy International AT stock.

Paint on the metalwork is Magpul FDE.

Paint on the skins is the same, with various other shades .

Skins are a pain....if you are prepared to do them right, that is.

These were degreased, then blasted. Degreased again, then a special self etching plastic primer applied. You then have to get the base coat on, as the primer flashes off.

Into the oven for a low bake. Then another colour, and a low bake, repeat as many times as you have different colours....

Takes a long time.

QqnSNZy.jpg

The magazine is a standard AICS with my small cartridge conversion fitted.

This action is control round feed, so works beautifully with such a little case.

i4iek2D.jpg

Nice work!  I have a similar rifle; Origin action, but with a left hand gain twist barrel for the Valkyrie in a JAE chassis.. I think the GT helps with accuracy in the Valkyrie due to the long for caliber bullets, and bullet deformation as the hit the lands.

16055338034713733006049352865248.jpg

On 11/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, baldie said:

Just curious about the primer pockets number of loads before they loosen ect . I have 1 k loaded now in 223 at max loads so this is thought for my wallet.