7.5X55 Swiss headspace guage

martin_b

I think you will be very lucky to find anyone to lend you headspace gauges in the Uk. They are not a licensable item but I have found it impossible to buy them from any UK supplier even if you have a firearm certificate with the caliber you want them for.

Ops have I called it the wrong thing maybe its called a case guage ?  what I'm after is somthing like this 

https://www.reloadingsolutions.com/products/measuring-tools/headspace-gauges/

I allready have 2 x the Wilson  ones in .223 and 6.5CM but getting one in a swiss version seems more difficult.

Martin,

The Hornaday 'C' would work or if you are looking specifically for the Wilson design look up the Chamber specs for the Swiss and determine the shoulder angle then go find a more common cartridge with the same angle perhaps?

One point when reloading for the 7.5x55 Swiss, I'm assuming you are using the ammunition in something like a K31 (brilliant rifle 😎) ? If so be carful not to be too close on setting back the shoulder i.e. .001-.002. From experience this can cause a misfire as the camming function of the K31's action is prevented from fully closing. The firing pin goes fwd but the rifle does not go off. You can roughly tell by looking at the position of the serial number on the bolt, it should easily end up at 12 o'clock. So go for a .004-.005" set back as a suggestion.

Brgds Terry

Martin,

I've been using these from Brownells for getting the shoulder bump where I want it.

Find the shoulder angle and a 30 cal one to suit and you will have something to measure with.

As Terry says above, the 7.5x55 can be critical with the shoulder regarding a click and no bang. Used to happen to me. I'd go with his recommendations.

I always sized the case, turned it 90 degerees and went again. It's what worked for me.

https://www.brownells.co.uk/SINCLAIR-BUMP-GAGE-INSERT-Standard-Mag-up-to-30-Cal-25-Shoulder-Bump-Gage-Insert-SINCLAIR-INTERNATIONAL-Belted-Magnums-749011485

Ive just found this article

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/06/cheap-tricks-how-to-measure-shoulder-bump-using-45-acp-case/

so while I wait for the proper tools to arrive has anyone got a .40S&W case they could send me?  Please!  (or maybe a .38special  i relaod for 6.5CM the 7.5 Swiss)

Martin

I‘Ve 38 spl brass you’re welcome to and can probably cut down and trim square a 45-70 or 40-65 brass to give you the other option ( as it’s a wet Saturday 😉)

PM me

Terry

On 11/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, terryh said:

Martin

I‘Ve 38 spl brass you’re welcome to and can probably cut down and trim square a 45-70 or 40-65 brass to give you the other option ( as it’s a wet Saturday 😉)

PM me

Terry

Sorry mate only just seen this.  I think im Ok now thanks