Ballistic software, wind meter

Nick 53

Hi all, 

What ballistic software is recommended?  I've tried couple of ballistic apps on ipad and phone but these keep crashing. 

Finally what windmeter are suitable for long range shooting and where to buy. 

Thanks nick 

I have a Kestrel 5700 with the AB ballistics solver. Very good, easy to use and with custom curves, the solutions are very precise.

I do also have both TRASOL and Lapua’s 6DOF iPhone app ballistic solvers. I’ve found both of them to be very good. They’re actually very similar but diverge a bit, mostly with wind predictions, when going out past 800m.

Personally I prefer the Kestrel, not only because of the onboard  barometric, temp, wind etc but also because it’s waterproof and drop proof, to a degree, whereas a phone is too slippery and easy to drop and crack.

Nick,

As per C-22's comments, have found the AB products very good and the custom curves are not expensive.

I've also got Tresol, Strelok (Pro), Lapua's freebie etc. on my phone, they can all be played with, try them see what you get on with, the AB stuffs seems to be most accurate.

T

Most all of them work with a bit of tweaking/truing.  The AB CDM's tend to be the most close to reality, but any of them can be made to work reasonably well.  They're all based on one of two different calculation models, so take your pick.

For reference,  I've run Kestrels (4500 and 5700 AB models), Streak Pro, JBM, Garmin701 AB, and a Revic smartscope.  They all work, if the data going in is good data.

A cheap and good solution is StrelokPro and a Weatherflow wind meter for I guess less than £100. The Kestrel 5700 Elite and AB software is the benchmark however for around £750.  Over the next couple of years I can see this changing as Trijicon have released the Ventus  - (measures wind at 6 points out to 500m). As the tech gets cheaper ( atm around $8.5k ) and better it’s got to be the way forward- 3.5km laser with built in ballistics software and wind reading capabilities.

https://www.trijicon.com/community/post/trijicon-introduces-revolutionary-new-ventus-wind-mapping-and-range-detecting-handheld-device

This is a good video by Richard Utting with some other good options.