Wanted if they exist..

martin_b

Does anyone have links to, or know even if they exist..

1: A really small ( pen sized) vacuum  that i can use to clean up the grains of powder that always seem to escape.

2: A Powder pipette. The way i load is that i use an electronic scale to weigh the case, zero the scale then use a Lee drum to fill the case to within say 1 grain of target, then manually make up the difference. What would be handy is if i could trickle the powder direct into the case mouth whilst its on the scale. I see extruded powders being the problem.

5 minutes ago, martin_b said:

1: A really small ( pen sized) vacuum  that i can use to clean up the grains of powder that always seem to escape.

2: A Powder pipette. The way i load is that i use an electronic scale to weigh the case, zero the scale then use a Lee drum to fill the case to within say 1 grain of target, then manually make up the difference. What would be handy is if i could trickle the powder direct into the case mouth whilst its on the scale. I see extruded powders being the problem.

you could try a length of say 10mm pvc pipe into a drum and connect a vacuum cleaner to that (there's quite a few cyclone ideas on Youtube)

I don't think a pipette is likely to work reliably.  Maybe that's why tricklers exist?  I throw and trickle and then use tweezers (!) if necessary. If you weigh the case every time you're resetting scale tare weight or doing sums, isn't that likely to introduce errors in load?  Better to throw and weigh into a pan and decant.

10 hours ago, martin_b said:

Your loading method baffles me. Why weigh the case and then zero the scale to weigh the powder with the case? What is your goal? I'm curious. ~Andrew

It seems an odd way to do it, but you could weigh straight into the case with something like this:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/Lyman_Precision_Funnel_Set.jpg   I use one of these to load in the conventional way, and it's excellent. Around £30 from Brian Fox.

You'd have to tare each case with the appropriate funnel/adapter attached for each weighing. Some means of support to prevent the whole lot from falling over would also be good. Unlike most funnels, this one is cast aluminium so there's little chance of static causing the grains to jump about........then again, it might be too heavy for your balance.

Pete

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Your loading method baffles me. Why weigh the case and then zero the scale to weigh the powder with the case? What is your goal? I'm curious. ~Andrew

It might be that the OP is adjusting each charge to suit internal case volume of each case, derived (though better methods exist) by measuring the weight of each case.

I could only imagine how long 100 rounds might take to load 😭

I think I get what the OP is doing. If that is indeed the intention, it might be better to first sort cases into groups (sort by weight or better to measure actual grains of water each case holds using plasticine/modelling clay in the neck to simulate a seated bullet and, with case upside down, inject water through primer flash hole) and then bulk charge each group of cases in a more traditional way. Saves needing to ‘trickle’ into each case at a time as you simply throw and dump the desired charge weight.

16 hours ago, martin_b said:

The problem I have with decanting the powder is that at every stage when i do it there is a fair risk of the odd grain escaping.

I think this is why and if so it's quite an odd approach.  Each to his own 😉

The OP is a lazy old hamfisted git! 

My logic is you have to have a case to activate the powder messure, that leaves you will a part filled case, 

Now I could decant that into a weighing tray make it up to the exact weight and then refill the case, but my dispraxia and the elastic bounce properties of RS62 means some would escape. Hence why do leave it in the case and top it up direct.

Also I should say i use an electronic scale with a set of calabration weights, and this powder messure

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/lee-reloading/powder-handling/lee-auto-drum-powder-measure.html

I always put down a lint free white cloth (cotton or use a few sheets of kitchen towel) which at least covers the area beneath the scale and at all points where I am transferring the powder to the case.

Any spilt powder can go straight back into the next charge, or I can put it back in the tub at the end.

Like the OP I also use a digital scale.

I normally drop the powder from a lee perfect powder measure to within half a grain (if I'm lucky), or scoop it from a container of some sort, then make up the difference with tweezers (and yes it is to within two kernels but my OCD won't let me do it any other way, and I enjoy working that way).

I also weigh all my bullets and sort my neck turned, neck sized clean and shiny cases, but only when doing load development.

Once I have my load I just grab a bunch cases and bullets make the rounds up and get out and shoot, then blame any poor groupings on my detached retina, the blinding sunlight, unreadable wind, trigger slapping, the wife etc, etc.