Glass bedding

I think most would agree that either Devcon or MarineTex would be the best option for bedding. More so than glass bedding.

I‘ve read numerous comments, articles etc by people discussing Devcon vs MarineTex. Seemingly people prefer one over the other and quote multiple reasons for their assertion. I’m not sure if I’ve come across a definitive study that shows one is better than the other though.

To my mind, it sort of depends on what your chosen ‘applicator’ thinks and feels is best, given their experience of bedding xxx number of stocks.

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

I think most would agree that either Devcon or MarineTex would be the best option for bedding. More so than glass bedding.

I‘ve read numerous comments, articles etc by people discussing Devcon vs MarineTex. Seemingly people prefer one over the other and quote multiple reasons for their assertion. I’m not sure if I’ve come across a definitive study that shows one is better than the other though.

To my mind, it sort of depends on what your chosen ‘applicator’ thinks and feels is best, given their experience of bedding xxx number of stocks.

Thank you I will take a look at both of them, I am planning to do it myself.

Cheers Mark 

Mark,

I personally like grey MarineTex after trying if from recommendation by a known US Gunsmith (and it turns out a couple of good UK ones), it is what the US Marines use (nothing to do with the 'Marine' in MarineTex) when they build rifles.

Have found it very nice to work with, consistency of clotted cream, not too bad to clean up. , does come in small 'one stocks worth' pack sizes - Unfortunately not always easy to obtain in the UK

Here's an article by Speedy Gonzales who's quite a recognised US gunsmith on the merits of different bedding materials:  http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/01/bed-it-right-bedding-compounds-compared-by-speedy/

Brgds T

I don't think one will go far wrong with Devcon, they normally have good products. We have bedded well over 500 stocks in the last years but would not use any of the normal bedding compounds. We blend our own bedding compounds using aerospace approved epoxy systems which lead to several advantages. OK if all bits are at hand however for the odd bedding devcon etc is easier.

edi

10 hours ago, ejg223 said:

I don't think one will go far wrong with Devcon, they normally have good products. We have bedded well over 500 stocks in the last years but would not use any of the normal bedding compounds. We blend our own bedding compounds using aerospace approved epoxy systems which lead to several advantages. OK if all bits are at hand however for the odd bedding devcon etc is easier.

edi

I used to work in aerospace and we used a compound called redux and I was wandering if it would work.

It is a structural adhesive which looks like lemon curd before you mix it

11 hours ago, terryh said:

Mark,

I personally like grey MarineTex after trying if from recommendation by a known US Gunsmith (and it turns out a couple of good UK ones), it is what the US Marines use (nothing to do with the 'Marine' in MarineTex) when they build rifles.

Have found it very nice to work with, consistency of clotted cream, not too bad to clean up. , does come in small 'one stocks worth' pack sizes - Unfortunately not always easy to obtain in the UK

Here's an article by Speedy Gonzales who's quite a recognised US gunsmith on the merits of different bedding materials:  http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/01/bed-it-right-bedding-compounds-compared-by-speedy/

Brgds T

Thank you I will take a look

One point not mentioned so far: are you using the original Sabatti plastic stock? The Sabatti that one of our club members owned looked like the stock was made from a glass-filled nylon. If that is the case, then I would be concerned that any epoxy based bedding compounds might have problems with adhesion. You might be better off changing to a fibreglass or laminate stock or chassis, each of which would be more compatible with bedding materials.

Was looking for a long range rifle but a lesser calibre than Lapmag .I am a lefty but given that I shoot from fixed positions with my long range kit a right handed rifle is not an issue......I looked around for a few weeks to see what was on offer as I really couldn’t be bothered with the cost and hassle of getting one built.....My final choice was the Sabatti Evo tactical in 300 win mag and to date I have no regrets ...Well made ,well priced and sub .5 moa is a winner for me.Stock is adjustable and seems fine for me .Is anybody having problems with their stocks ?

Mark, bedding into a plastic stock is not the greatest. Often difficult to bond depending on what material the stock is actually made of. I have not heard of Redux nor used it. If it is an adhesive it might have different properties than actually wanted as a bedding material. Bedding compounds should be highly filled with metals, minerals and fibers.

edi

2 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

Was looking for a long range rifle but a lesser calibre than Lapmag .I am a lefty but given that I shoot from fixed positions with my long range kit a right handed rifle is not an issue......I looked around for a few weeks to see what was on offer as I really couldn’t be bothered with the cost and hassle of getting one built.....My final choice was the Sabatti Evo tactical in 300 win mag and to date I have no regrets ...Well made ,well priced and sub .5 moa is a winner for me.Stock is adjustable and seems fine for me .Is anybody having problems with their stocks ?

I don't think I am having trouble yet as I am doing load development so I am not sure if it is the load or stock, I am just looking into options for the future

1 hour ago, ejg223 said:

Mark, bedding into a plastic stock is not the greatest. Often difficult to bond depending on what material the stock is actually made of. I have not heard of Redux nor used it. If it is an adhesive it might have different properties than actually wanted as a bedding material. Bedding compounds should be highly filled with metals, minerals and fibers.

edi

I may try to find a chassis that works but as it's a slightly unusual rifle I am not sure how much luck I will have.

I will finish the load development first and if I am not happy I will then look at options but thank you all for your input it gives me an idea where to start