Moulded electronic ear protection

I bought a pair of Decibullz which are widely available. Most sellers quote long delivery times though, 2-3 weeks, which suggests none of them carry stock. They're only £25-30 a pair so I don't understand why not.

The instructions said to 'boil water, put it in a mug, drop in an earplug, wait 5 minutes, remove, cool for a minute or two, insert into ear, wait five minutes then remove the earplug "which is now perfectly moulded to your ear shape". Repeat for other ear.' Mine didn't quite go like that........🙄

Boiled water, poured it into mug, dropped in ear plug, waited five minutes, spooned out a blob of molten silicone with the hard plastic bit in the middle, tried to push the flat, runny silicone into something approximating a ball to aid insertion, got close but with half the silicone stuck to the metal spoon (recommended in instructions to prevent sticking), some on my fingers, some still in the mug.

Prodded and poked the now hardening silicone into my ear, realised it was not soft enough, dropped it back into the mug, took it back out, got more stuck to the spoon and my fingers, realised I was down to about 2/3 of the original silicone and that some had blocked the hard plastic canal that should be in the middle but was now offset in what looked like a piece of compressed candy floss.

Tried with the second one, similar result.

Took photos, sent to seller, got a refund.

I'm still searching for something so am keen to see what other answers you get.

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

Something a departed member @braddersonce mentioned stuck with me. 

The moulded plugs are a great idea, but when you put your head on the stock for a good cheek weld it puts undue pressure through the ear and the ear canal isn’t in the same position the mould was taken. 

Having owned and worn a couple of pairs, I can confirm this is true, hence I don't own a pair now

I went through this loop because I couldn't get a cheekweld with the standard types. I tried a DIY silicone and then a professional one ................finally ended up with :

https://www.best4systems.co.uk/peltor-e-a-r-lep-200-eu-level-dependent-earplug-kit.html?msclkid=308ff156b95014efbdf9aef308356844&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA%20Shopping&utm_term=4574930448815345&utm_content=Main%20Group

Wouldn't use anything else now............

Pete

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any advantge for "pure shooting" in having electronics. 

Obviously when your chating to mates ( when we can do that again) its a benefit, but if your shooting on your own, why bother? 

23 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any advantge for "pure shooting" in having electronics. 

Obviously when your chating to mates ( when we can do that again) its a benefit, but if your shooting on your own, why bother? 

Very useful to hear the RCO commands on a range.  Better to have them and turn them down/off and have the benefit of them when you need to hear

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seems to be heavily weighted by those who don’t  use them. I can state in 25 years of using proper moulded anatomical ear plugs I have never had any issues. That is professionally using covert headsets, for shooting and for motor bikes. Get them properly made and they do not deform and are so comfortable you forget you are wearing them. In my experience Your cheek weld doesn’t effect them at all, that’s using shotguns for game, rough and vermin, PSG, rifle target and practical. Never had an issue. Simple. I currently own three sets, 1 sguidgy blockers, 2, a set of reactear V1 and 3, a set of Bluetooth sound ear (for the bike) I have had no need for the electronic shooting ones as the react ear (active valve) work perfectly well for all my applications. 

https://www.ultimateear.com

The only bad press I have heard from anyone about these systems are from those who don’t use them..... funny old thing eh? 

Actually, I have used a professionally installed pair of moulded anatomicals for a few years, and they were OK...........but once I tried the Peltors, I had to have them. The seal is good, the electronics are excellent, and above all, they're comfortable.

The only downside is the cost...........

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, Re-Pete said:

Actually, I have used a professionally installed pair of moulded anatomicals for a few years, and they were OK...........but once I tried the Peltors, I had to have them. The seal is good, the electronics are excellent, and above all, they're comfortable.

The only downside is the cost...........

Pete

I've been thinking of getting a set of these, but wondered which ones you a referring to and where is the best place to get them?

Cheers. Paul

Here you go.....

https://www.earshotcommunications.co.uk/shop/product/3m-peltor-level-dependent-earplug-lep-200-eu-orange/

Pete