Pulsar Krypton FXG50 reviews?

BuckhurstBen

Dear All, 

Been looking at the new front attached thermal from Pulsar but can’t find any independent reviews of it in use fitted to a scope. Has anyone got one yet and could offer any insight as to if it’s any good?
Interested to see if the attachment mechanism is easy enough to enable the unit to be used as a spotter then quickly and repeatedly attached for the shot. Also the clarity of the picture through German glass if the better coatings hinder the picture like traditional Nv add on’s. 

Many thanks, 

Ben 

When you use a front add-on you're looking through your glass scope at a small TV screen which is emitting visible light

The quality of the glass and any lens coatings  in your scope are pretty much irrelevant.

If, for some reason the scope is not passing s much light as you think it should, simply turn up brightness control for the small TV screen.

Ian Blackwood from Blackwood Outdoors has an FXG50 and is regularly posting his findings over on the Nightvision UK forum

Cheers

Bruce

I’ve got one. It’s stunning. The picture quality with the new BAE 12micron 640 sensor is amazing. However you need a low mag scope to see the full screen. So my 3x12 Hawke and  3x12 Nikko  Stirling scopes the screen is slightly magnified but the quality of the thermal is amazing. And it hardly pixelates when you mag up. With my ZEISS 1.8 -14 V8 scope the whole screen fits in the FOV of the day scope  and you can mag up from there. I have just bought a Nikko Stirling 1.5-6 scope which I think will be ideal. The quality of the glass is less important as you are essentially are just focusing on a  high res screen. That being said the quality of the image is sharper than my Pulsar Accolade 2 thermal which is 17micron pixel pitch. They are very good and your day scope zero stays intact. If they does drift with a long menu press of 10secs you can realign your point  of impact with your day scope reticle. Great piece of kit 

Thanks Dr.Rock. Am interested in how the reticle in your day scope overlaps over the thermal screen, do you experience any flickering of the reticle whilst panning or distortion at different brightness settings?  Have a spare 2.5-10 S&B was thinking might suit. Also how easy do you find attaching and re attaching the unit? 

Regards, Ben 

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, Dr:Rock said:

I’ve got one. It’s stunning. The picture quality with the new BAE 12micron 640 sensor is amazing. However you need a low mag scope to see the full screen. So my 3x12 Hawke and  3x12 Nikko  Stirling scopes the screen is slightly magnified but the quality of the thermal is amazing. And it hardly pixelates when you mag up. With my ZEISS 1.8 -14 V8 scope the whole screen fits in the FOV of the day scope  and you can mag up from there. I have just bought a Nikko Stirling 1.5-6 scope which I think will be ideal. The quality of the glass is less important as you are essentially are just focusing on a  high res screen. That being said the quality of the image is sharper than my Pulsar Accolade 2 thermal which is 17micron pixel pitch. They are very good and your day scope zero stays intact. If they does drift with a long menu press of 10secs you can realign your point  of impact with your day scope reticle. Great piece of kit 

Dr Rock

That's a great bit of info thanks.

I take from this a base mag of 5 is not ideal. Do you think it would be seriously limiting or doable? say would you be able to find and shoot a fox at say 60yards with a base mag of 5 please?

Guy's ,  Is the resolution / Spec better than my XP50 even though they are both 640 units ?  Would it be a good option for a spotter as my 2.5x is perfect and I wouldn't want to go any bigger for spotting but would when rifle mounted 🙈

OSOK