Send It Series @ Eskdalemuir 2K Training Range, Saturday 17th October

hellandback

OK, home, pyjamas on, a glass of port and time to reflect on todays Kestrel Ballistics Send It Series competition… Firstly let me say a big shout out to my staff today, you really are the best and we wouldn’t be able to keep this train moving without you, so Thank you…. Also a nod to the competitors, some of whom have travelled from the opposite end of the country to take part… you are awesome and its always a highlight of my calendar to see you all, time and time again. Kestrel Ballistics donated a very fine prize to be awarded via a raffle at the end of the day, one of their new Heads Up Display units, which generated some considerable interest, and a lot of fingers crossed for the presentation! Right then, the comp…. weather was, lets just say ‘changeable’ with either miserable dreicht drizzle or dry almost sunny bits, but changing literally every 5 mins…but then this is Scotland, it was brilliant by October standards, so im grateful, no really, I am! The morning started slowly, as it always does with us, bacon sandwiches to start then safety brief and convoy to the firing point to start the first 5 stages. We utilized our new firing point building for 4 of the 5 stages and this wasn’t the best plan in hindsight, with it being difficult to keep timing and communication on target so maybe a rethink for the next one, however, there was some good scoring, including some solid hits for the BIG SIS at the new BlinkTroll moving target system. We also had a stage on the Shotmarker system, with closest to the Bull being awarded a bottle of Whisky donated by Gareth McClelland (who was unable to attend, unfortunately). An early break for lunch due to a target malfunction (how the hell do you guys keep shooting our targets off???) and then a late start in the afternoon saw us a little pushed for time, but you all came through brilliantly, no mishaps and a final shot rang out around 5.20pm. When laying the Course of Fire I had initially thought the Wobbly Pallets would be a challenge, but that was probably the highest scoring stage (I’m going to make it harder next time, don’t you worry!) and instead it was the Apex which caught most of the competitors out, there you go, that’s why I organize these things and don’t shoot in them, I know nothing. So, all in all a good day, positive feedback from all, the atmosphere was great, plenty of banter and laughter going about and plenty of full tummies, we don’t do anything without copious amounts of food being available.

Scores on the Doors:

Kestrel Ballistics Heads Up Display was won by Mike Barratt

First Place in the BIG SIS with an excellent score of 52/76 JOHN MORGAN HOSEY

Ladies Trophy went to newcomer ALI EUSTANCE

Little SIS was taken by the indomitable RYAN CHARLTON with 67/76

Junior Trophy by KESTER

Closest to the Bullseye awarded to PAUL RATCLIFFE

#senditseries #gardnersguns #eskdalemuir2ktrainingrange #gardnersgunsrifleranges

Well done to all and sorry I couldn’t make it due to last minute changes I couldnt avoid 

Feedback I’ve had from my pals is it was very well run and no negative comments on the staff, Targetry or atmosphere

Looking forwards yo next time 

Its already been said that the morning stages were slow but judging by how much progress the range has made since I last visited for the last comp earlier in the year  I'm sure that will be addressed. 

I think the stages were all very good, a good balance between difficulty and being de moralised😂 and yes the apex roof was my downfall, well that and stage 6 where a couldn't quite twist my old body comfortably enough for a steadylefthand shot. 

I would also say the blinktroll target is probably the best stage/target i think I've ever shot. And the addition of the electronic target for your last shot on one stage was a clever and inventive use of technology to provide a winner of a prize - well done Paul on your shot.

Thanks for a good event.