2k scope

stottycake

Hi guys,

Looking to get a scope for getting out to 2k ,

This will be going on a .338lm,

And I think I'm settled on a march 3-24×52,ffp mil mil,fml1 reticule, and was wondering if any is using it out to 2k,or is it even up to it

I was looking at the stiener t5xi or the m version but after reading up on them it seems the quality leaves a bit to be desired,

Or should I just go s&b pmll,

Budget is £ 2000 ish,

Tia,

Al

S&B  PM11 5-25 x56 FFP  PF4 fine.    20moa rail and 10moa Spuhr mount, zeroed at 200m.  For 285gr ELD-M  I have a come-up of 17.5 mil at the mile and can dial to 2k.   Used numerous times on my .338 at Eskdalemuir with success.  

Magnification is plenty - I feel it's useful to see misses so a wider field of view is preferred to higher magnification.

14 minutes ago, Nocrimp said:

IMHO, definitely a March or a PM2 but why not the 50x or 60x models?

Field of view and brightness of image (potentially hazy at extreme distances) plus there's no need for the extra magnification to hit a one MoA target at 2000.   

I tried a 50x Schmidt and its barely usable at max mag.

I agree with Pops about the 5-25 being quite enough mag

10 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

At 300yds, I use 16x.............

Pete

Pete, not trying to be an ass but what do we learn from that with regard to 2,000 ?

I am comfortable using 12x at 500 yds but I use 50x because I can see the holes and make fine corrections!   I wouldn't dream of using 50x at 1 mile or above for the reasons I posted earlier

Nothing at all................it's all down to what works for you. My partner shoots 16x-20x at all distances. I use 24x at 1000yds......then again, I shoot off a home made bipod, and I'm very happy if I get a 1 MOA group. Gluv hit the nail on the head.......it's all about your twitch coefficient.

Pete

15 hours ago, stottycake said:

Hi guys,

Looking to get a scope for getting out to 2k ,

This will be going on a .338lm,

And I think I'm settled on a march 3-24×52,ffp mil mil,fml1 reticule, and was wondering if any is using it out to 2k,or is it even up to it

I was looking at the stiener t5xi or the m version but after reading up on them it seems the quality leaves a bit to be desired,

Or should I just go s&b pmll,

Budget is £ 2000 ish,

Tia,

Al

Might be interesting to see what the teams were using at the French ELR 1 mile shoot a few days ago.  Personally I'd sooner have the option of 50x and not use it that be struggling with 25x and wish I had more.

I shoot 1000 yard F Class and Benchrest comps frequently and use 35 - 40x most of the time.

I use 50x sometimes and  25x at other times.

I like the option to option to find best image magnification level to balance mist, mirage and light levels.

A 50x scope can be always be used at lower magnification when you prefer.

Not many peiople buy cars that have a top speed of only 70mph.

37 minutes ago, Nocrimp said:

I use 50x sometimes and  25x at other times.

I like the option to option to find best image magnification level to balance mist, mirage and light levels.

A 50x scope can be always be used at lower magnification when you prefer.

Not many peiople buy cars that have a top speed of only 70mph.

I understand what your saying but a high mag scope on lower magnification is going to pass less light (for a given objective) and is possibly compromised on eye box / exit pupil.

To use your analogy I'd rather use a 70mph 4x4 up a field track than a 170mph sports car..

Hmm, The dedicated scope to go for would be the the March Genesis 60x. Do not go for the USO sn9 scopes though - (I went through that horizontal learning curve twice). 

With a conventional scope you are going to be near the extremes of elevation adjustment at 2km - consider an Ivey adjustable mount or Charlie Tarac mk8.

The best scope in my book is the S&B pm2    5-45x56 with LRR reticle. It’s an excellent optic in every respect. This is on my 338 AXMC. Also I’ve  just bough  a NF 7-35 x56 ATACR with mil C reticle. Initial impressions are that it is excellent. This scope has 100 moa of elevation which would be useful at 2km and is about in the sweet spot for magnification. NF seen to do very well with the USA ELR community.

Another vote for S&B PMII 5-25x56. So much so I’ve bought 2, both with the H2CMR reticle which I find superior to the older PF4 because the finer .2MIL hash marks make for even more precise wind holds or measurement when dialling corrections.

Obviously the glass is amazing but I really love the turret system of the PMII. Personally I still think it’s the most user friendly on the market, specifically when you get into the realm of double turn.

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

Another vote for S&B PMII 5-25x56.........Obviously the glass is amazing but I really love the turret system of the PMII. Personally I still think it’s the most user friendly on the market, specifically when you get into the realm of double turn.

Couldn't agree more.  The S&B turrets are no-brainers

I will say that you are better off giving the feature set you want some thought. For example 100moa of elevation in the ATACR 7-35x56 ticks a lot of LR boxes - plus you can get away with a 30 or 40 moa rail as well and around 7 mil more elevation from the reticle.

Turrets S&B are not quite the gods gift in all respects - mine came with double turn, mtc, lockable turrets. The MTC feature is a mixed bag - easy to count every 10th click but a pain to dial the 11th of 12th click. The double turn indicator is excellent. The turret lock - nice feature. The zero stop is not ideal as you cannot set a sub zero stop and the clicks are too close together to read for my aging eyes. I hate to say it but the NF clicks are more positive and tactile and better spaced so easier to read.  Overall I still prefer the S&B turrets I think but not in all aspects. How one weights each individual feature is personal choice. 

13 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

And I think therein lies the key, the OP should really get out and not only look and handle a bunch of scope’s but actually try some before dropping his £2k.

The perfect solution for one might be less than favourable for another. 

This (and then some) 😉

When you get to a certain level in optics it becomes what your eye likes, each makers coatings gives a different 'feeling' to what your eye sees/likes/can put up with in extended use.

Thanks for the replies so far guys,

The vote seems to be for the s&b,witch I thought would be the case,

After a few days of intense research and reading reviews on various sites, and from advice on here,I've decided to go for the s&b 5-25×56,ffp CW DT turrets,but cant make up my mind about the reticle 

Its either P4FL or MSR2,

And with the present situation and no shooting shows on anywhere, so unless I can look through a scope with my choice of reticles there are no s&b dealers in my area that I know off,it looks like I'll have to make my choice from the s&b reticule website, 

Al,

When I was looking at reticles, I couldn’t find a model with the H2CMR to actually look through. A bit of Googling and found lots of positive comments and some very useful photos.

Attached is a image I previously saw prior to buying my scope’s. Despite the poor quality upload image, you can see the very fein .2MIL windage marks really help those fine wind calls or measuring for clicks on a target. Personally I think the standard .5MIL hash marks are too coarse.

For note, each circle is a 1MIL mil dot. The windage marks are .2MIL. The elevation are 1MIL mil dots with .5MIL hash marks. I like the mil dots being empty as you can see the aiming spot properly. Thickness of the reticle itself is the same as the P4F and isn’t too thick even on x25 mag.

Having used the H2CMR reticle for a while now I definitely find it very useful for those fine wind calls. Doesn’t look cluttered to me and helps me adjust my shot very quickly. 

Anyway, good luck - you won’t be disappointed with a S&B.

2BB82058-4E09-4E04-81CB-9B7DD47E30D6.jpeg

Reticules are somewhat personal- head and shoulders above the rest for me in the pm2 is the LRR ( Long Range Reticule) the clue is in the name. The 0.02 mil centre dot is a big advantage to me. I have this reticule in a 5-45x56 pm2.

Hi there 

I have a pm 2.  3-27x56 in p4fine ret and wish the lrr ret was available when it was bought . P4 f does cover a lot of the target at high mag . Msr ret has a good measuring grid to use to make your adjustments with if you don’t have a spotter  . 
MSR or LRR looks the way forward , don’t rule out the grid type tho . Have a look at THLR on YouTube on his scope reviews early in his series of vids 

cheers

Well after much thought and viewing different reticules on online and youtube,I've gone for the P4FL,and ordered the 5-25×56,ffp,mtr Lt,

I've been promised delivery by the end of next week 

Thank you all,for your thoughts and advice 

Al,