22-250 Twist rates

As per Baldie's comment, depends on your end use, standard vermin 1:12, heavy bullets then 8,

I'm just having a 22-250 built but with a 1:7.5 to use the rather nice selection of heavy bullets available.

Yeah if I was considering a custom 22-250 I’d be looking to shoot the 90gn + bullets with a 1-7” twist. In the 22-250 you could push them to some outstanding speeds, making it an excellent long range gun. If you go 1-14” twist you’ll be limited to light bullets which don’t perform at distance, no matter how hard you try and push them.

Are you wanting heavier bullets for longer range targets or killing things?

If the latter then there aren't that many good heavy hunting bullets with reliable expansion. I would say Sierra 77gr Tipped Matchkings are the best, very explosive even on soft targets at long range, great for rabbits and the like. 77s only need an 8T although Ive shot them very well out of a 7T as well. If you want to shoot the heavier 80-90gr bullets at targets then a 7T or 7.5T makes sense but your going to have to go down the rebarrel route as no factory guns come with fast twists like this.

The Bergara 9T will shoot 69gr Sierra TMKs which also expand well and will still give you a significant improvement at longer ranges over the traditional lighter bullets used in a 22/250.

10 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Yeah if I was considering a custom 22-250 I’d be looking to shoot the 90gn + bullets with a 1-7” twist. In the 22-250 you could push them to some outstanding speeds, making it an excellent long range gun. If you go 1-14” twist you’ll be limited to light bullets which don’t perform at distance, no matter how hard you try and push them.

That is my thinking, looking at the Berger 85.5g Hybrids over R25, should be well past 3000 fps, 1:8 recommended hence the 1:7.5 being fitted. Should be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Just go a fast twist, it should still shoot light bullets well.

I  used to have a 7.5 twist 22-250 and it shot the 77 gr TMK really well but it also shot the 55gr SBK fantastically so why limit yourself.

I never liked 53gr V-Max, in my experience the 55gr SBK is miles better.