Safe Storage

Humphrey106

I currently keep my rifle at a local gunsmiths when not in use as I live in a rental property and felt there wasn't a suitable wall to bolt a gun cabinet to.

I am moving into a new house in a couple of weeks that I have bought and I feel the best place to store my rifle is going to be in the garage as it has the strongest walls. I have read that a rifle should not be stored in a garage unless for 'certain circumstances' but I can't find what these 'certain circumstances' are. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Personally I’d contact your FEO and seek their advice. Depending on how good & helpful your local authority are, I think they should come take a look and advise you on what’s best. I really don’t think a garage is suitable (assuming easy road access) because they’re easy to open up. Unless you have an alarm fitted?

But surely there should be a room inside the house with solid brick walls for you to attach your cabinet too? Even if you have to install extra long bolts through some plasterboard to get to the brick.

I  fitted a safe for  someone in a  new build which was plasterboard dot and dab onto block work so there was a bit of a gap between the block and plasterboard so I cut away the plasterboard so the safe was against the block then used long rawl bolts to get a good purchase onto the block. 

As said before condensation in a garage won't do your firearms any favours