MARS Rifles?

JGD88

Has anyone heard any news about MARS Rifles and what's happening with them since they were banned/reclassified?

I had a quick Google and can't see any updates. I find it odd that I've had absolutely nothing in writing, email or over the phone from my licensing department at any stage. If I wasn't on any forums, I doubt I'd ever even know there was a consultation.

I expect the Home Office has other priorities this year, rather than working out how to introduce a compensation scheme.

They are in a win win at the moment because nobody can buy or sell one and it hasn't cost them a penny yet.

However, by allowing everyone to keep them and use them, they have rather shot their initial argument in the foot because they can't be that dangerous or a big risk if they let people keep them.

Such is the ludicrousy of Firearms legislation! 

It sounds as though you've not had any correspondence about the status of your MARS gun - is that correct?! has anyone who owns one been informed that they cannot be sold etc?

36 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

It sounds as though you've not had any correspondence about the status of your MARS gun - is that correct?! has anyone who owns one been informed that they cannot be sold etc?

I had a conversation with my FEO a while ago.  The Police don't need to tell anyone specifically, it's the law.  Anyone buying would be breaking the law, anyone selling would be also breaking the law.  Retaining ownership or legally scrapping is the only way at the moment

Extract from Police Guidance (HO)

16 May 2019: Offensive Weapons Act 2019
The Offensive Weapons Act 2019 introduces new prohibitions under the Firearms Act 1968 on certain rapid-firing rifles (section 5(1)(ag)) and “bump stocks” (section 5(1)(ba)), which increase the rate of fire of self-loading rifles.

The prohibitions came into force with effect from 16 May, to the extent that they prohibit the manufacture, sale, transfer or acquisition of such weapons. The prohibition on possession will come into force at a later date, following completion of surrender and compensation arrangements.

As yet there is no surrender & compensation plan and that will have to be put to Parliament for approval.  If you got one, enjoy it for now!

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

I had a conversation with my FEO a while ago.  The Police don't need to tell anyone specifically, it's the law.  Anyone buying would be breaking the law, anyone selling would be also breaking the law.  Retaining ownership or legally scrapping is the only way at the moment

Extract from Police Guidance (HO)

16 May 2019: Offensive Weapons Act 2019
The Offensive Weapons Act 2019 introduces new prohibitions under the Firearms Act 1968 on certain rapid-firing rifles (section 5(1)(ag)) and “bump stocks” (section 5(1)(ba)), which increase the rate of fire of self-loading rifles.

The prohibitions came into force with effect from 16 May, to the extent that they prohibit the manufacture, sale, transfer or acquisition of such weapons. The prohibition on possession will come into force at a later date, following completion of surrender and compensation arrangements.

As yet there is no surrender & compensation plan and that will have to be put to Parliament for approval.  If you got one, enjoy it for now!

so they have brococked them

2 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

Yep that's correct. Nothing from licensing at any stage of the consultation or ban. I am guessing that their approach is that it is your responsibility as a licence holder to stay up to date with the laws and regulations and if you were to unknowingly sell one now having not been informed, you were supposed to check and/or be aware as a FAC holder.

I'm guessing along the same lines that Government quite rightly has more important things to deal with so hurry up and wait. I will keep on plinking away until I am told otherwise! I too have over 500 rounds to get through and I gave it a go at 300yds a few weeks ago and got a pretty good grouping with a red dot. I might even try it at 600yds... just because...

I did get told by one of the ROs at Bisley that they had been told they were being grandfathered, but it is quite clearly stated in the published bill and/or laws that compensation and surrender will be arranged at a later date, so I assume that is misinformation on their part.

2 hours ago, Dellboy said:

so they have brococked them

Exactly - for now.   I was trying to recall the very same !   

7 hours ago, Mattnall said:

Where have you been for the last year?

😉

time has flown by  . I did mention the clever boockocing  effectively making them worthl;ess without the need for compensation ... Whats next ?

7 hours ago, JGD88 said:

I did get told by one of the ROs at Bisley that they had been told they were being grandfathered, but it is quite clearly stated in the published bill and/or laws that compensation and surrender will be arranged at a later date, so I assume that is misinformation on their part.

Later date could be 20 years