Home made DOPE card holder

BD, think the idea is if there are multiple targets at different distances so there is a need to write down the come ups for each target ( caveat: ‘I think?’ 😉). So a tape’n’Sharpie’ is out.

But I’m strugglin’  a bit with this if I’m being honest. I can see if there were say 4 targets as remembering 3 come ups might be a problem under pressure. 3 targets not so as only 2 come ups involved. So the card is helpful, but a bloody big one obscuring you’re view of the multiple targets sort of seems funny approach, unless you’re taking your head off the stock each time to find the next target ( not so good);

perhaps listing the order of shooting

Could someone more enlightened help me out here?

Well, for me it’s just a simple way of knowing my elevation settings for each 100 yard range, without having to mess about with my phone or having to find a bit of paper.

And if I want to get really fancy, I suppose that I might have one card for cold and one for hot. For a 1000 yards in the UK, that might be worth, say 0.5 of a mil of elevation differnce?

2 hours ago, terryh said:

BD, think the idea is if there are multiple targets at different distances so there is a need to write down the come ups for each target ( caveat: ‘I think?’ 😉). So a tape’n’Sharpie’ is out.

But I’m strugglin’  a bit with this if I’m being honest. I can see if there were say 4 targets as remembering 3 come ups might be a problem under pressure. 3 targets not so as only 2 come ups involved. So the card is helpful, but a bloody big one obscuring you’re view of the multiple targets sort of seems funny approach, unless you’re taking your head off the stock each time to find the next target ( not so good);

perhaps listing the order of shooting

Could someone more enlightened help me out here?

That's a whole bucket of overthinking!😂😊

And I too was quite struck by the peripheral vision blindfold effect, particularly of Gary's.

Tape and sharpie.

Or small excel table on stock and cover in fablon.

K.I.S.S

(DIdn't Tony Burkes used to do a 'dope thing' to put on a sling for this?)

That’s very kind of you BD. But at present my AI only gets used on the range, so never wears a sling.

However, that nice Mr McKillop is currently building me a lighter rifle, which may well get out into the field one day. So I will gratefully take one off your hands if it turns up.

11 hours ago, brown dog said:

Yup, for those who simply have to put money into a solution 😂😊 this is pretty KISS

https://www.tabgear.com/products/dope-thing

Shuggy, I'm sure I had one, or two, not seen them for a while, if I can find one and you want it, I'll post it to you

BD,

Dang, think Tony gave me one of those 😀 need to go and have a dig round?

• 2 weeks later...

My Mk2 version of my DIY DOPE card holder is now finished. The objective here was to get rid of the bendy cable for something a bit neater.

The key component was the Picatinny camera mount from Ant Supplies. As expected, the finish is a little rough, but it is perfectly serviceable. Next purchase was a camera mini ball mount - I got two for a fiver off Amazon, as there was no need for anything fancy. This all got fixed to a Smallrig camera cheese plate, to which the GOVO ID card holder is mounted using some 1/2 inch long 1/4 UNC cap head Allen bolts and nuts. It is important to use half thickness nuts, to get the right spacing. The only tools needed are 2mm and 3/16 Allen keys and a 12mm socket.

Total cost about £37, which is about a third of the cost of the Ulfhednar and Hawk Hill Custom versions. It all seems pretty neat and doesn't interfere at all with the operation of the rifle or the scope.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG