Sphur or Tier One Mounts?

SMLE

Just about to spend some hard earned cash on a new scope mount. I’m torn between the one piece offerings from Sphur or Tier One and wondered if others could offer their experiences on either or both?

Both for a 34mm tube and 20ish moa cant come in around similar money, both on the face of it seem well designed and well made but Tier One is a British product and I’m swayed towards them for that reason if I’m honest.

I’d be interested in others views if they’re happy to share either on this forum or via a pm.

Can’t go wrong with either. Both excellent. If you just want a scope mount and to go British, the tier one is the one to go for.

However if you think you might want to mount various accessories then go for the spuhr as they have more options and various locations (ie top, 45deg and side) 

19 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Just about to spend some hard earned cash on a new scope mount. I’m torn between the one piece offerings from Sphur or Tier One and wondered if others could offer their experiences on either or both?

Both for a 34mm tube and 20ish moa cant come in around similar money, both on the face of it seem well designed and well made but Tier One is a British product and I’m swayed towards them for that reason if I’m honest.

I’d be interested in others views if they’re happy to share either on this forum or via a pm.

Spuhr are excellent, the best in my opinion.  I've had Tier One rings too,  very good indeed.  You can't go wrong with either but for my money Spuhr every time.

3 hours ago, markymark said:

Can’t go wrong with either. Both excellent. If you just want a scope mount and to go British, the tier one is the one to go for.

However if you think you might want to mount various accessories then go for the spuhr as they have more options and various locations (ie top, 45deg and side) 

100% agree with Mark. You can't beat a Spuhr for the modularity and flexibility that they offer.

I’ve had Tier One single mount previously and they are nice. But I personally never really liked the narrow central section - I always felt it needed more ‘beef’ there. But machining and finish wise, very nice.

Ive since moved on and currently own an Era-Tac single piece QD mount for my big .338 and have had zero discernible shift. I’ve taken the mount on and off dozens of times and never seen a shift in zero, regardless of barrel/calibre used on the gun.

On my more recent acquisition, I went with a SPHUR single mount. Again, machining and finish is really top notch. The main thing I like about the SPUHR over the Tier One is both the low profile (it’s narrow on the sides, thus giving a better view of the parallax and windage turrets) and the central saddle is just a bit thicker/beefier. Plus mounting screws/piccatinny ‘bars’ are located along the entire length of the mount, not just under the rings at the front and back. So there’s more engagement on the rail along the entire length of the mount.

I think all are excellent quality and you can’t go wrong with any of the choices. I just happen to value the QD and no shift feature of the Era-Tac and the low profile (plus 5 mounting screws) of the SPUHR. 

Thanks again folks. The Era-Tec products look good and a similar price too which I wasn’t expecting.

Originally I was torn between two..... now it’s three!

I think Sphur is a nose ahead at the mo despite my desire to support a British producer in Tier One. Era-Tec coming in neck and neck with Tier One, it’s a photo finish I think.

Any more views?

+1 for spuhr guaranteed a flat level scope , bought a small torque wrench aswell just to make sure all is correct as per instructions . Also a mirage band hook at the front - rather pricey but hey ho . PM2 3-27 x56 on top . Enjoy 

21A05020-22A3-46B2-8077-A1A9BD2D2150.jpeg

Between me and a mate we have seven or 8 sets of Spuhr mounts - excellent and excellent customer service - I’ve only had one issue the side clamp cracking on a cantilever mount. I emailed Spuhr, had a reply within the hour asking for my shipping address and number stamped on the part. Replacement arrived in a couple of days. Noticed the new part had been beefed up.

Forgot to say I took the photo to remind me of where to mount the unit if I take it off for any reason . Done this for all my rifles as mount night vision in the winter and scopes for spring and summer on some of them . Cheers Rich 

Have Spuhr mounts on most of my rifles and Spuhr pica rail on one. Very happy with all of them including the one piece hunting mounts. Way prefer them over ERA. Never had Tier One mounts yet.

Hakan told me they did some tests mounting any mount to a pica rail dry vs rail oiled. Fitting mounts with lube of some sort was much better. Lower friction allows the surfaces to slide into their natural position which leads to better holding if the scope gets a knock.

edi 

Well Optics Warehouse now have a chunk of my money and I should have a chunk of Sphur tomorrow all being well.

Thanks to all that responded....... now I just have to hide it from “her indoors” and pretend I’ve had it for years.....!

2 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Well Optics Warehouse now have a chunk of my money and I should have a chunk of Sphur tomorrow all being well.

Thanks to all that responded....... now I just have to hide it from “her indoors” and pretend I’ve had it for years.....!

I'll confirm you've had it for years!