once fired brass wont chamber?????????????

craigyboy

Having a wee problem with once fired brass, I loaded up 25 tonite and went to try them out I noticed the bolt was tight to close down on some of them and on 2 I couldnt get it too even close. This is only once fired brass that I have only started using recently as my other batch was done. I checked all dimensions between new brass, the brass that chambered and the two rounds that didnt chamber and compared

headspce was consistent to within .001

case head was spot on everytime .372

widest part of the body was spot on everytime at .379 (not on new brass though as my chamber is quite losse so once fired brass fills it out but it was the same between the brass that chambered and the brass that wouldnt chamber)

case neck .226-.227 (spot on)

the brass definately doesnt need trimmed as at its longest it 0.030 off the full length of the chamber.

the only thing I can visually see is at the base of the case neck on the one of the rounds that wouldnt chamber is it flows out toward the shoulder instead of straight down. I have only neck sized 1/2 the neck on the first loading of the brass and the second loading, I dont lube as my previous brass never needed it, could the new brass need lubed and therefore when I neck size its sligthly catching pushing the case neck downwards on the up stroke due into the neck sizer die to too much friction catching the brass instead of pushing over it, and making thee brass bulge out therefore not allow the case neck too enter the chamber? Though surely this would happen on my first loading as well as I neck size in the same way or maybe each time I size it gets a bit bigger? They definatley couldnt need full length sized as headspace is consistent with brand new brass as in once fired brass. I am open too all ideas and opinions as I am still quite new to this relaoding game and am a bit stuck on this one.

Its not all bad though I have hit a nice laod, after I had this problem tonite I just blasted off my last few rounds and shot a nice 5 shot .350 group without trying much ;)

had the same problem!got varminter over and had him take a look ,he sussed out the problem ,i had set the die to low and it had "belled" the neck so it would not seat properley and i could not close the bolt!!! slung the cases re set the die and hey presto ,job done!!! hope this helps,if this is not to clear give varminter a call!!!!

Guest 308Panther

This "once fired" brass.......Was the once firing done in your rifle??? Or was it done in an unknown rifle?Or was it done in another rifle you own?

308Panther

it was done in the same rifle panther.

I would double check your dies to make sure they are sizing everything correctly,set your full length die to bump the shoulder 1 thou and see how they chamber from there.Andrew mentions a good point too,you can also smoke them with a match.

just been doing some more checking today at this, coloured the offending round's in with black marker and tried to chamber, it seems to be on one side just before the shoulder, I checked where it was and it lined up with the E in winchester at the case head so I rotated the round and it chambered with the E facing left or right but not up or down????????? The size just before the shoulder is coming up at .360-361 on most of my once fired brass, whereas brand new brass comes in at .354-.357 but due to my loose chamber I think this is why it grows, I cant find the case to be much out of round though I dont have the right tool and am just spinning the round around in the calipers while keeping the pressure on them and its not revealing anything (obvisouly not a great technique). I would really appreciate any help as I am stumped!

Craigy,

Check that the ejector plunger is moving freely up and down and not jammed in the out position, you should be able to depress it with finger pressure.

I had this happen on my Remmy 243, brass particles shaved off the back of the case by the sharp edge of the plunger hole, got into the hole and bulit up behind the plunger causing it to jam, this made closing the bolt very difficult, i was tearing my hair out because i could not see anything wrong, it did it with fired cases and new

A simple disassembly and clean cured it, while it was out i snipped 2 coils of the spring to reduce the spring pressure a bit, polished the face of the plunger and took of the sharp edge of the hole with a small roll of 400 grit paper.

Ian.

Archived