UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
moonfleet

Fitting cabinet

I have been looking to move house and viewed a property with plasterboard internal walls, I hadn’t thought about fitting a cabinet before as my previous and present house have brick walls so here’s the question how would I go about fitting a cabinet to the wall ?

You basically need to find an external or internal load bearing wall. Some big anchor bolts and you are there.

Hi Moonfleet 

I have had this problem before I found a concrete floor in the kitchen which had a cupboard that’s where cabinet went.my mate now owns this house and he has bolted it to the floor in to the joists.

my cabinet is in the loft bolted with coach bolts to the joists I have had no problem with damp as some folks say 15 years now no problem 

it just has to be secured to something 

good luck 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:23 PM, Shuggy said:

You basically need to find an external or internal load bearing wall. Some big anchor bolts and you are there.

+1 - You can even fix if breeze/cinder blocks walls. There is another thread on here regarding the resin glue needed for cinder block. It goes off bloody quick and sets like concrete

One word of caution if you go the loft route. Make sure your joists can take the weight etc and you can get through the loft hatch. You may want to consider putting it flat rather than upright. In our old house, we had the joist reinforced. My FEO at the time told me to tell the builder " I was taking up model trains" I just asked at my local club was there a builder they trusted.

Getting a 7 gun XL Brattonsound through the loft hatch was hilarious. 

Good luck

The local authority where I am wants it fixed to the property...

This includes the FLOOR, all 3 off mine are fixed to the plasterboard just for support but bolted into the floorboards with massive self tapping speed bolts

There is some really good guidance in this document. I believe that the associations had a hand in developing the guidance.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/915934/25072019_Firearms_Security_Manual_2019.pdf