Barrel length and twist rate.

2 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Sooo , to shoot FTR is there a particular bullet weight suitable for all ranges ? Or do people use different weights for 300 , 600 and 900 . 

Most serious FTR shooters reload their own and use heads 185 to 200 grains. I can’t vouch for different loads at different ranges but I use 185 on not so blustery days and 200’s otherwise. 30 inch barrels with a fast twist (1-9) are needed to get the most out of them though. There are some excellent FTR shooters on this site namely furry bean who was last years European FTR champ and are very helpful. Depends how well you want to shoot and how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go! 

21 minutes ago, Pat Allen said:

Most serious FTR shooters reload their own and use heads 185 to 200 grains. I can’t vouch for different loads at different ranges but I use 185 on not so blustery days and 200’s otherwise. 30 inch barrels with a fast twist (1-9) are needed to get the most out of them though. There are some excellent FTR shooters on this site namely furry bean who was last years European FTR champ and are very helpful. Depends how well you want to shoot and how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go

I thought you could only use factory ammo in FTR ( 308 ) ? Home loading is allowed in the open class .I intend to shoot in FTR using factory 308:ammo .

Just now, Frederick said:
20 minutes ago, Pat Allen said:

Most serious FTR shooters reload their own and use heads 185 to 200 grains. I can’t vouch for different loads at different ranges but I use 185 on not so blustery days and 200’s otherwise. 30 inch barrels with a fast twist (1-9) are needed to get the most out of them though. There are some excellent FTR shooters on this site namely furry bean who was last years European FTR champ and are very helpful. Depends how well you want to shoot and how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go

I thought you could only use factory ammo on FTR ? Home loading is allowed in the open class .I intend to shoot in FTR using factory ammo .

Ok we might be confused here ? Are you talking TR with 308 and diopter sights or FTR which is the F class version in either 308 or 223 with optical sights ? 

F class TR with a scope . There is FTR and FTR open . The former using .308 /.223 factory , the latter any calibre up to 8mm (I think ) including home loads . There is also TR with 308/762 using aperture sights .

I may shoot TR and FTR , both using 308/762 factory loads that have to be purchased at Bisley before a comp . As you have to use factory loads I thought a particular barrel length and twist rate would be more appropriate . Of course I could be completely wrong 😆

9 minutes ago, Frederick said:

F class TR with a scope . There is FTR and FTR open . The former using .308 /.223 factory , the latter any calibre up to 8mm (I think ) including home loads . There is also TR with 308/762 using aperture sights .

I may shoot TR and FTR , both using 308/762 factory loads that have to be purchased at Bisley before a comp . As you have to use factory loads I thought a particular barrel length and twist rate would be more appropriate . Of course I could be completely wrong 😆

F class with a scope is FTR and is 308 or 233 with std Chambers and can use home loads or factory  . F open is unlimited calibre up to 8 mm. There are weight limits and FTR has to be shot from a bipod . F open can use benchrest type front rests and have heavier weight limits. TR shooters are generally restricted to factory loads . 

• 4 months later...

Sorry to jump in a bit late on this one but how about this for an idea.

Have one rifle - two barrels! I've got a 'Gemini chassis (single shot) which is rigged for a Target rifle - A Paramount action with a .308 Border barrel 1:12 for 155 grain bullets, aperture sights blah blah.

But, I also have a heavy Bartlein .284 barrel in 1:8 for it for F class. I just strap a scope onto the fitted rail and hey presto, a pretty decent F class rig, and all it takes is about 5 mins to swap the barrels over. Muscle memory is just the same as it's the same trigger & stock.