DIO Close Ranges again

Popsbengo

I've had a message from the NRA regarding the use of MoD ranges managed by DIO.   They're closing again from Sunday night (tonight) to comply with the latest CV19 Gov. controls.

A bummer for the clubs and members reliant on military ranges..

16 minutes ago, DaveT said:

I was hoping to get there as well! Stupid call.

I've been told that Warminster is "staying open" - as reported by someone from Offa's after todays shoot.  Well worth checking with them?   It's not what the NRA reported but it could be good news - here's hoping

Looks like Warminster is off for Thursday 17th.

Ive received no notification from the club secretary that it’s been cancelled (nice work there...thanks!) but lucky I checked the website tonight. Apparently due to the COVID restrictions.

Best double check with whomever you can before you travel for a no show.

10 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Looks like Warminster is off for Thursday 17th.

Ive received no notification from the club secretary that it’s been cancelled (nice work there...thanks!) but lucky I checked the website tonight. Apparently due to the COVID restrictions.

Best double check with whomever you can before you travel for a no show.

The reason I left Offa's was the complete lack of communication and outright rudeness and arrogance.  John Masefield ran a great club, top bloke and much respected.  Then there's the new chap...

8 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

The reason I left Offa's was the complete lack of communication and outright rudeness and arrogance.  John Masefield ran a great club, top bloke and much respected.  Then there's the new chap...

Yes, I’ve been mulling a move on from the club. Trouble is being in S Wales, the ranges further north are just too far unless doing overnights. There are plenty of lovely ranges close by but we can never get on them.

I’m thinking I need to book some private days in at Bisley, particularly Stickledown. I’ve not been to Bisley before so don’t know the process/procedure, whether you use electronic targets or arrange for a marker (how do you do that even??) etc but will have to check them out online.

1 hour ago, Brillo said:

I’ve just been told that Kingsbury is re-opening. Can any regular, pre CV19 restrictions, Kingsbury users confirm this?

The Offas calendar note that planned Kingsbury A shoots for 27th and 29th Sept and 10th plus 25th Oct have all been cancelled.

There are no comments/notes as to why they’ve been cancelled but can only assume it’s COVID related.

14 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Yes, I’ve been mulling a move on from the club. Trouble is being in S Wales, the ranges further north are just too far unless doing overnights. There are plenty of lovely ranges close by but we can never get on them.

I’m thinking I need to book some private days in at Bisley, particularly Stickledown. I’ve not been to Bisley before so don’t know the process/procedure, whether you use electronic targets or arrange for a marker (how do you do that even??) etc but will have to check them out online.

Electronic targets are pretty good, have experienced a few issues now and then but generally OK.

You simply go online and book a range, assuming you are an NRA member, or your club organises.

As a note, because the electronic targets are pretty slick you will chew thru' a lot of ammo or more important you can book 2 distances in a morning or afternoon session and have plenty of time to shoot both i.e. 900/1000.

Last time, a few weeks ago, the process was book online then rock up on the day and go direct to the firing point on Stickledown, there is a gazebo with your lane information and a radio waiting, you drive to and park behind the 1000 yard line, if shooting 900 you walk your kit down to the 900 from the 1000 and start shooting (after the hooter!).

Actually much more efficient that pre C-19 IMHO.

T

as to closing the ranges - bloody morons, no reason as far as I can see?

I did a couple of hours on Century this morning at 300yds............got through 60 rounds and still had time for tea and bread pudding............

The book and pay online system is miles better than hanging around in the range office, but do make sure you have your shooters card and membership/affiliation card with you as there may be spot checks.

Pete

19 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Ok thanks all, especially Terry for the low down on how the day runs.

If I’m honest, I can’t see a shoot happening with ODRC until 2021, so until then I think I’ll have to book some sessions at Bisley.

Cheers!

Sorry for teaching granny to suck eggs if you know this already :

you have to be a personal NRA member to book ranges (or go as a guest of one).  Your club can make a booking if they have purchased a range pass but you can't book directly as a member of an affiliated club.

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

Sorry for teaching granny to suck eggs if you know this already :

you have to be a personal NRA member to book ranges (or go as a guest of one).  Your club can make a booking if they have purchased a range pass but you can't book directly as a member of an affiliated club.

Ah ok, didn’t know that. Obviously I have my affiliate membership via ODRC, so I’ll have to get my own personal membership sorted before I book.

I have every other Friday off, so I’d like to take advantage of that and visit Bisley as much as possible. For too long have my beauties languished in the safe. They need to be broken out and given a good shooting!

12 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I have every other Friday off, so I’d like to take advantage of that and visit Bisley as much as possible. For too long have my beauties languished in the safe. They need to be broken out and given a good shooting!

Catch, the M4 is murder on Friday’s, especially the return trip.

Yup, you need to be an individual member, hence my comment:  'You simply go online and book a range, assuming you are an NRA member, or your club organises.'

If you can get a couple of you from ODRC then the club can book for you - but you'd need the clubs NRA card to book in on the day (in theory).

Concur whole heartedly re. the current C-19 driven system, please for the love of God NRA do not go back 'to the way its always been done' 😒

T

38 minutes ago, terryh said:

Yup, you need to be an individual member, hence my comment:  'You simply go online and book a range, assuming you are an NRA member, or your club organises.'

If you can get a couple of you from ODRC then the club can book for you - but you'd need the clubs NRA card to book in on the day (in theory)....

Only if ODRC have purchased a Range Card for the year - it's a bolt-on to affiliation and insurance fees.

One can be purchased anytime.  I recently added one to our club so we can book ranges for our members