.22LR Semi Auto Ammo

JDT

I ordered a Lantac Stealth Raven a few weeks ago (yes I fancied dropping a load of money...). It'll be my first semi-auto, I've shot a few in the past though but never seriously considered ammunition until now since it'll be my primary plinker. I notice lots of manufacturers now have semi-auto marketed ammunition, I was just wondering - what's people's experiences with it?

Do semi-auto's ever struggle cycling with match ammo like Eley Match, CCI Green Tag or RWS R50? Or is this specifically branded 'semi-auto' ammo largely unnecessary?

If people do consider it more suitable the ones I was considering initially testing when I get the rifle were Eley Contact (for subsonic), Eley Force (for supersonic) and SK Semi-Auto - thoughts?

JDT my AR based semi does not have issues cycling 'funny' ammo bullet shapes e.g. Tenex. 

You have to try different types/makes to see what your rifle likes, sometimes lower cost ammo works?:

Here is an example

Capture.PNG.57dd1669c1ceec11ee1930fcdf2cef7e.PNG

But you need to give each different type of ammo a few rounds to clear out the previous ammo's lube, the above 50 yard target, top left, was trying the CC plastic coated ammo, after a couple of rounds it shot well.

Also found the CCI AR specific copper washed ammo, bottom right group, shot well. the middle top group was 20 rounds of R50.

All shot with relatively low power 10x scope 

Thanks for the replies. I do intend to try as many brands / types as I can. I was just curious about cycling issues on funny-shaped or other match rounds so thanks for clearing that up terryh. I didn't even know the CCI AR copper wash ammo existed so will definitely be seeking that out to throw into the test mix!

Been through this process twice, first with SIg 522 and more recently with GP Taranis. 
match and target ammo seems to have softer bullets and these can deform in a SA especially one designed to cycle as quickly as you can pull the trigger. 
the SA specific rounds seem to be better lubed and harder bullets to allow better transition from mag to chamber. 
I tried loads inc. Tennex and R50 in my SIG (as I had these fir my target BA rifle) single loaded by hand they were ok but not astounding, by far the most accurate and best for cycling was RWS Semi auto which is what I currently use in both GPs (K22 and Taranis). They are cleaner than Eley Action and don’t have a Cu wash like the CCI AR. 
the new kid on the block which I have yet to try B2B with the RWS is the SK semi auto which is new this year but not easy to get hold of unless you live near Bisley......

• 3 months later...

I realise this is a fairly old thread but I recently did some ammo testing in my AMT semi auto ( which I believe has a tight 'benz' match chamber) which might be of interest.  Eley subsonic HP were hopeless, jamming every round.  Winchester Subsonic HP were not much better.  Bizarrely RWS subsonic HP which are close to 100fps slower than both the above cycle perfectly - go figure!  I can only think that the Eley and Winnie cases are maybe a tad bigger - hence the jams?  I then tried CCI subsonic HP's, both RWS and Geco Semi Auto and RWS match - all cycled well, so as has been said .22rf semi auto ammo cycling really is a bit of a black art and there is no substitute for simply trying lots of different makes until you find something that works in your particular rifle.

There is a lot to be said for the brass used, when all else is equal.  I have a Smith and Wesson revolver -a very old and worn re import from Sweden- that will  refuse to eject empties smoothly unless it is Federal ammo. They just didn't expand as much as others that bloated into the worn chambers.

Additionally, not all subs or standard velocity rounds are "low pressure". They are just low velocity. I have run a pressure gun and seen that some eley primed standard velocity generated higher pressures than "high velocity" loadings. This will aid in cycling.

I have a 1-18" twist Green Mountain Rifle Company barrel on a 10/22 with a Volquartsen trigger group. It is my ammo-testing 'mule' and it functions with most subs.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I'll let you know as soon as I have it mate but unfortunately I'm still waiting! They're manufactured in USA and, well, 2020 I suppose...

Expected February though apparently so should have it soon.

6 hours ago, JDT said:

I'll let you know as soon as I have it mate but unfortunately I'm still waiting! They're manufactured in USA and, well, 2020 I suppose...

Expected February though apparently so should have it soon.

feel your pain i waited 6 months 4 years ago after being told 6 weeks

On 1/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, chrisnic365 said:

I'd be really interested in your experience with the Lantac. Just waiting for my variation to be returned then I'll be after a semi-auto for mini rifle :)

There's a FB owner's group where some of the lads are using 12" Lantacs past 200 yards, they'll be the best to ask about ammo.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lantac.UK