22 LR Average Group from your gun

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First outing for my Tikka T1x, I have never owned a .22 bolt rifle before so have nothing to compare it to but I must say I am impressed, lovely smooth bolt and I adjusted the trigger down so it not too light but just right.

Shooting off a bipod with SK standard

did well and SK Match was better still

20200920_113423.thumb.jpg.b64d44518c1f3c25876c3959d92d0c0d.jpg

7 shot group 50 yards match 

20200920_111202.thumb.jpg.20398090014c2e893d8ac71d929496d9.jpg

5 shot group match at 50 yards the flyer was some pillock behind me shouting 

20200920_113427.thumb.jpg.586289694b21407c9a6e397a8b32f3f4.jpg  

Top target, can't remember how many but it was SK standard , bottom is 20 rounds SK Match. 

So happy with that for the first go.

At some point I might try a MDT Oryx chassis or GRS bravo if anyone has any experience with these or something else under £500 would love to hear your thoughts. 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:58 AM, terryh said:

Andy,

The quality ammo does normally give smaller 'rounder' groups,

The CCI AR though is not the bottom end stuff (around £8/100) but quite reasonable mid range on price at £10.60/100 and the 2 groove barrel seems to like them. Only problem is they are well past sonic so even with a suppressor there is a good 'crack'

The Midas is a bit eye watering at £30/100 😱 and Tenex at £26/100 - think you'd save these for special occasions 😉

I'd try some R50 or Centre-X in your new toy just for grins.

T

ps - has anyone tried Lapua X-act yet, and I though Midas was ££

Switch those to dollar symbols and you are almost at US prices for that ammo. I was surprised to read some reviews of the Midas from my distributor and people were saying that the latest LOTs were not as accurate as those of a year or two back. Normally I take ammo reviews with a grain of salt but repeat customers for that grade of ammo usually have their marbles in one bag. One said that the latest LOT of SK Match he picked up shot with  the last LOT of Midas -or visa versa, I guess.~Andrew

Andrew,

Think if you were a serious shooter you'd send your rifle for batch testing and secure a good few 1000 of ammo that performed in your gun (or add a tuner perhaps?)

For me currently, only having a 22rf AR, I cannot see the difference between Centre-X and Midas so a bit moot.

Looking at a 'nice' bolt action 22rf rig in near future so a bit more effort/practice/focus on my part might ring out the difference to justify the odd box?

As to X-act - 😭, just 'gosh' at the cost.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, fourtyvoats said:

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, this target was shot recently in a 50 metre prone bipod based match in a National Level Competition at our club in Ireland. The Rifle is the MPR version of the new Anschutz 1761.  Off the shelf.  No, tuning, using SKC red box Rifle match ammo. I have tried this rifle and it is superb. Ergonomics, trigger, bolt action etc,.Nothing to improve. Compare this with a Voodoo, which uses a Center fire type receiver and must weigh a lot more.  

image.png.e763ea082890e69ccf2d0a0536246162.png

I'm picking 1 of these up the end of next month, and will be taking it to a local 100m range to see how it shoots. 

Well that and to see how rusty I am as I havent sent a round down range since covid arrived. 

• 3 weeks later...

At the ranges yesterday and returned these. 
Standard Sako Quad varmit, Delta 6-24x42, front rest, rear bag. 
Temperature 15 degrees, well in the car park anyway, wind changeable both in speed and direction up to about 8 mph.

First target Eley Tenex, 5 rounds.

Second target RWS R 50,  5 rounds.

Whilst the Tenex gave the smallest group the R50 returned more consistent small groups.

Now if the wind would always blow my bullets in neat little holes, oh well.

7399F41F-6BCF-4620-817F-47008D309D4F.jpeg

D96327EC-A4DD-4559-93B5-F3E56FE1CA53.jpeg

3 hours ago, Twodogs said:

At the ranges yesterday and returned these. 
Standard Sako Quad varmit, Delta 6-24x42, front rest, rear bag. 
Temperature 15 degrees, well in the car park anyway, wind changeable both in speed and direction up to about 8 mph.

First target Eley Tenex, 5 rounds.

Second target RWS R 50,  5 rounds.

Whilst the Tenex gave the smallest group the R50 returned more consistent small groups.

Now if the wind would always blow my bullets in neat little holes, oh well.

Was that 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards? :)

Anschutz 1427 shortened and fitted with a SAK mod. Never took pics of the groups but it will do ragged holes at 50m all day with Eley subs. Been a great rifle and the trigger is awesome, I’ve taught 4 sons the basics using this and it’s still the go to bit of kit if we want to do a bit of plinking. 

3D5989FD-BD4E-4FA8-B7DB-55A2FF48DF9F.png

On 8/31/2020 at 5:17 PM, Ronin said:

Good call

Three consecutive targets of five rounds each at 50 and 100 ?

Impressive as these groups are, I think this thread is going the same way as countless other .22lr accuracy threads go.  ("My 10/22 shoots 1" groups all day long of the bonnet of the Landy")

Single groups, especially with a .22lr, and even more especially at extended ranges, may look impressive but I think 3-4 consecutive groups, as shown by Palo, Fourtyvoats, Silvermachine etc. are the truer measure of the rifle/ammo capabilities.

Another problem, very apparent with the .22lr is that accuracy tends to degrade quite quickly with range. A C - C 1/2" group at 50 yards won't necessarily translate into 1" at 100 yds.

Five shot groups: I can do this consistently if I discount the odd flyer. :)

TvA9qHSm.jpg

UksgYNqm.png?2

Took the Tikka T1x out to 100 yards this morning using sk standard and match, groups opened up a bit from 50 yard groups so I may need more speed at this range.

The 2 best groups are match.

Next step is removing the spacer block from the stock then test again.

Finally a Oryx chassis lined up as my birthday present 

20201011_122556.jpg

20201011_122417.jpg

20201011_122442.jpg

22 hours ago, brown dog said:

A pic showing all the groups on the neighbouring aiming marks would be useful for 'balance', if those are cherry-pick groups.

Reading the post and the clue is consistency means these are cherry picked. However I will confirm the quad capable of this accuracy as mine can do the same with Eley match and SK match consistently. As for all the time then my abilities are the cause of poor groups. I use my quad for benchrest. I  keep up with Anschutz's and beat some sometimes.

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Nice shooting. Bag or bipod? Mirrors my groups with SK Match. Can you get SK Biathlon? Seems to shoot better from my T1X.~Andrew

Shooting off bipod at the front and my hand /fist under the button. 

Forgot to say there was a slight breeze 3/5 mph.

I haven't found any biathlon in the area but I do have access to eley force, club and match that I haven't tried yet.

It will be interesting to see if removing the spacer in the barrel channel will make a difference. 

More to come next time I take it out.

4 hours ago, Mark II said:

Shooting off bipod at the front and my hand /fist under the button. 

Forgot to say there was a slight breeze 3/5 mph.

I haven't found any biathlon in the area but I do have access to eley force, club and match that I haven't tried yet.

It will be interesting to see if removing the spacer in the barrel channel will make a difference. 

More to come next time I take it out.

It didn't effect mine. 

This is the way I shoot, by the way. Field conditions. I usually have a right to left dispersion that we call "fishtailing" Just an inaccuracy of hold. Wind will always show up on paper but I am my rifle's worst enemy when it comes to delivering absolutely faultless (ammo capable) grouping. My top accuracy, other than SK Biathlon, is R-50.~Andrew

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

It didn't effect mine. 

This is the way I shoot, by the way. Field conditions. I usually have a right to left dispersion that we call "fishtailing" Just an inaccuracy of hold. Wind will always show up on paper but I am my rifle's worst enemy when it comes to delivering absolutely faultless (ammo capable) grouping. My top accuracy, other than SK Biathlon, is R-50.~Andrew

I'm probably my own worst enemy as well especially with a new rifle that I am trying to find the right ammo for. 

I will try to find some biathlon and r50 to see what difference it makes. 

On the plus side I do love shooting. 22lr at 100 yards it's great fun and no reloading as with my .308.

Sometimes I shoot my gsg 1911 at 100 off hand and even hit the target most of the time 😊

Cheers Mark 

You'd fit right into our crowd. We like to shoot at push pins at 100 yards. 12 ga hulls at 200. I also have a GSG 1911 that I like to shoot. 

Good 22LR ammo is hard to find here.  In this area, you can't just go buy a box of SK or Eley. It's all by mail order. That is how I got my small stock of SK Biathlon, The only exception is that the local ranch supply sells old stock "Federal Ultra Match" which is RWS rebranded by Federal. They mistakenly ordered a large quantity of it and some of us have been buying it at $12.50/50 and stashing it away. (It will as good as I can hold from my Tikka) The Biathlon is almost as accurate in my Tikka at half the price so I have tried to stock up on that for general shooting.

In truth though, the accuracy from my Tikkas ( I have three of them in the house) has been great with everything but the last LOT of CCI Subsonic: Horrible in that it shot 3/4" at 50. The Tikka my girlfriend shoots will ring a 3.5" steel swinger at 200 yards with inexpensive, Eley-primed Aguila Standard Velocity as often as the wind and good follow-through will allow.

All of ours are 20 inch models and other than cleaning the action and bolt, the bore is left untouched. It is quite dry in Montana so this is never a problem. When we do clean the bore -like after a windy, dusty outing- it's a patch with a scant drop of oil, followed by dry patches. That is all the cleaning it ever needs.  ~Andrew