Berger VLD Target in 90 grn .223

Maidment78

I have been using them almost exclusively in my .223 for the last 4 years or so shooting FTR with pretty good results - as long as you are prepared to do some leg work in terms of research and load development you should be able to get them to shoot pretty well - and out to 600 yards they will give most .308 shooters a good run for their money especially those using 185gr or less bullets!

I would say the most critical thing with the 90's (or any of the heavy .224 bullets in .223 really) is having a suitably long freebore to load them so as to not comprise any of the already limited case capacity! In a .223 for the 90's this means a freebore of at least .170" (COAL ~2.650") although I think about .200" is optimal for the Berger VLD (COAL ~2.680"). Also to get good performance at longer ranges the powder charge has to be very consistent as owing to the small case capacity and variation can have a much bigger effect on es and thus elevations!

My current barrel is (was as it has just gone off to be replaced) a 28" Bartlein 5R 1:7 .219 x .224 bore (.150" FB) and it is going to be replaced with a 28" Benchmark cut 5C 1:7" to 1:6.8" gain twist .219 x .224 bore (.200" FB) - both are 1.15" for 5" then a straight taper to .96" at the muzzle.

One final thing is that at competitive velocities (2800-2850) don't expect brass to last long, the primer pockets will last ~5 firings before becoming too slack.

There is a wealth of information from a few shooters on the Accurate Shooter forum on the subject and I suggest you have a look there (where I got most of my information along with Laurie Holland) - also any questions just ask as I have just scraped the surface here!