Sako M10

Quite a rare rifle here, probably due to the ridiculous price, but a nice rifle non the less.

9be8CxF.jpg

The customer decided he wanted a .300 Norma Magnum barrel for it.

Sako don't do it, neither will they sell the barrel extension. Not helpful Sako.

A 338 bolt, barrel and magazine kit was purchased, and the barrel extension robbed to make this barrel up

The barrel extension is very simple, and I have no doubt someone will make some.

A 1-9" Sassen cut rifled blank was chosen, in a heavy varmint contour, I use a lot on AI rifles, modified to suit the Sako.

Finished at 30" long with an M18 x 1 muzzle thread and fitted with my new 4 port brake.

Painted in Cerakote graphite black, in house as usual.

L3nutu2.jpg

fjmD4wk.jpg

If its run in, in time, hope to see this in action at Gardners this coming weekend.

Is there a particular reason why some rifles use a barrel extension ? I'm assuming that it could be for one of two reasons:

1. To have a larger diameter available to work with at the receiver end without needing the barrel to be of the same diameter
  2. To use a different (tougher ?) grade of steel at the breech end whereas the barrel may be optimised for wear resistance