New Defender

John MH

On 8/24/2020 at 10:00 AM, brown dog said:

On the 'new defender'  - my most telling assessment is that you can't stand on the bonnet. Wtf?

that may well be down to pedestrian impact protection,  the reason so many cars now have high bonnet lines is to allow deformation by an unfortunate head without meeting a 'hard point' underneath too soon.  It will save lives so I'm not sure I'd be too worried about loosing the "standing on the bonnet" feature.

Have you noticed how bulbous the Grenadier bonnet is?  My guess is no standing either.

17 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

that may well be down to pedestrian impact protection,  the reason so many cars now have high bonnet lines is to allow deformation by an unfortunate head without meeting a 'hard point' underneath too soon.  It will save lives so I'm not sure I'd be too worried about loosing the "standing on the bonnet" feature.

Have you noticed how bulbous the Grenadier bonnet is?  My guess is no standing either.

Just pop rivet a nice big chequer plate onto the bonnet. That will do it! :)

On 8/25/2020 at 10:50 AM, Kevgun said:

a couple of years ago we had 4 top of the range, Range rover Vogues turn up at the shoot i beat on,  anyway they followed the Tractor down the Field, it was only a gentle slope. They parked up went to to their pegs and shot, when they finished none of them could make it out of the Field, it was a pain to get a tow rope on them because of all the bits of plastic, but we pulled them out with a 15 year old Ford Ranger, bit embarrassing for them, i thought, they used to be the ultimate 4x4 but not any more, most bling 4x4 more likely, If you can afford one a Mercedes G wagon is better.  

What tyres did the RRs and Ranger have on them I wonder?

Tbf, my D4 is as useful on soft ground/wet grass as a Ford Focus, been stuck several times. Best part of 3 tonnes just spins road tyres and buries itself until its axle deep. Same ground and conditions with Duratracs (still stupid 20"-ers but brilliant tyre) and its pulled a stuck D-Max out no problem...

Harsh. Define reliable. Does it start in all weathers? Stop when you want it to? Change gear when required? That's the test of reliability. Up to recently, the real defender did all of those things. A nice comfy seat, metallic paint and on board computer that tells you the outside temperature and how many miles to new gearbox oil is not a measure of reliability. I suspect the army won't be taking the latest landy into a battle situation.

1 hour ago, Private Marker said:

Harsh. Define reliable. Does it start in all weathers? Stop when you want it to? Change gear when required? That's the test of reliability. Up to recently, the real defender did all of those things. A nice comfy seat, metallic paint and on board computer that tells you the outside temperature and how many miles to new gearbox oil is not a measure of reliability. I suspect the army won't be taking the latest landy into a battle situation.

not really harsh at all , every landrover product I have owned has been unreliable , shockingly so , all owned from new with the exception of the 110 defender V8 which was kinda reliable ish 

the green oval badge seems to be a license to print money and rip people off !

what amazes me is Toyotas stupidity , land rover took so long after stopping the defender to replace it that if Toyota had started importing the 70 series landcruiser they would have cornered the market for that type of utility and when LR brought out this new pretender it would certainly not threaten the landcruiser utility sales !

LR's vehicles are comfortable ,fast , well equipped , blah blah blah but shockingly unreliable ! just a brief google will show you where LR has been in reliability charts for at least two decades , a hell of a lot of electronic issues , so what do they do to the only reliable ish LR product ? yep , fill it full of their electronics what could possible go wrong...….

1 hour ago, Private Marker said:

electronics. Exactly. Anything you fill with electronics will suffer some way or another

With all due respect:  bullshine!

Every motorcycle, car and truck for the last umpteen years has been loaded with electronics.   Most vehicles are uber reliable and suffer comparatively little failure-mode in that department.  I grant you that many a 'mechanic' will struggle with even simple problems - most often not electronic but mechanical and misdiagnosed.

Vehicles are so much better now than ever before; fuel efficiency, comfort, handling, brakes, emissions, entertainment, etc etc.   All down to electronics (well, also materials science too)

I have to disagree about the emissions and fuel economy. I have a 1988 7.5 ton Ford Cargo. Minimec mechanical pump, nearly 7L Dover six pot 5 speed manual. No air ride seats, no aircon, not even an immobiliser. Driven carefully, I get 25-30mpg. That's MPG many modern transit custom owners would kill for. The emissions have passed the VOSA commercial MOT consistently.

20 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

I have to disagree about the emissions and fuel economy. I have a 1988 7.5 ton Ford Cargo. Minimec mechanical pump, nearly 7L Dover six pot 5 speed manual. No air ride seats, no aircon, not even an immobiliser. Driven carefully, I get 25-30mpg. That's MPG many modern transit custom owners would kill for. The emissions have passed the VOSA commercial MOT consistently.

So what?   That's one example against a general comment you made:  "ANYTHING you fill with electronics....."

Your vehicle also is tested to a lower standard (ie higher emissions allowed) due to being pre 2008