New Defender

John MH

Agree fully, I think they have nailed it

i might just have a go when I change next time

my dealer said that they are putting the big motors in them once the launch models have been in production a short while

it'll be another success for Jaguar Landrover

13 minutes ago, Gluv said:

It's not worthy of the Defender name . It should have been called Discovery 5/6 or whatever number it is ,as they all look the same now.

Not for the purist 🙁

Gluv🇬🇧

Wolfman Glov - I agree (don't fall over 😳)

It'll never be a Navara 😂🤣

Wasn't even aware of this, just read the top gear pages on it.

It does look like all their other stuff. (Which all looks the same  - I wonder if they only have one design artist?!)

Some of the features sound quite good, but I'm not sure I understand who it's aimed at - the same crowd as the current stuff, with an extra marketing vibe of being potentially more adventurous, but never actually used that way? I think it'll be quite a while before we see one full of hay bales, fence posts or barbed wire; or somewhere harsh doing UN-type 'real'  - especially as they describe the old as 'analogue' against this being 'digital'  - Good luck  fixing that in South Sudan!😂

That said, the marketing plays to my weak mind, I think I'd have one before one of their other models.

The Grenadier on the other hand looks to be a worthy successor Landrover should have made

From looking at a series following  development  and initial testing it looks pretty good 

Having watched the video series - about the Grenadier it looks like they have developed a totally new transfer box which will allow 4wD, diff kicking at both axles and total lock up (in line with most good systems ) 

The 8 speed ZF box is superb and as far as I know a reliable unit - like the BMW 6 pot diesel 

It’s possible and has been muted the choice of engine had other factors considered such as dealer servicing and outlet same of the finished vehicle via BMW franchises - which would make sense when considering selling the thing 

Sure there will be some back up 

apologies for going off topic 

Defender upgrade / new model isn’t to my taste at all 

I’m not sure it will live up to its utilitarian origins 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

The Grenadier on the other hand looks to be a worthy successor Landrover should have made

From looking at a series following  development  and initial testing it looks pretty good 

Just googled that, too.   

Looks to be exactly what L/R should  have made - he's basically attacking the market gap that the demise of old defender left.

On the 'new defender'  - my most telling assessment is that you can't stand on the bonnet. Wtf?

I don’t believe the new Defender’s aim is to be totally rugged and utilitarian. The marketing is clearly being aimed at city types, who fancy themselves to look a bit like a Bond hatchet man; ex-SF types complete with turtleneck and shades, reminiscent of the Quantum of Solace ilk. 

Direct from Landrover website: “Conquer the urban jungle, Urban pack equips Defender to stand out in the suburbs with head turning style, confidence and composure”  🤮

12 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

I don’t believe the new Defender’s aim is to be totally rugged and utilitarian. The marketing is clearly being aimed at city types, who fancy themselves to look a bit like a Bond hatchet man; ex-SF types complete with turtleneck and shades,

I wonder what watch "New Defenderman" man wears......

Casio G Shock?

The way I see it is that LR were caught completely with their pants down By the popUlarity/ reliability/ and sheer utility of Jap pick ups. They are now only appealing to posh horsey/farmers wives types and townies who want to appear to be in touch with nature (all beit through tinted glass and aircon). Or those with remarkable brand loyalty. 
They just have too many reliability issues to be a credible workhorse. The grenadier on the other hand even with a BM engine could well be the only way to buy a 4x4 van in the forthcoming years. 😏

Most horse people with money have a HGV to ferry the equines about - those of us without rely on pickup and trailer or the in bettweenies have Range Rover or Cayenne towing a box 

Perhaps the new defender may appeal to these and may be a comfortable go almost anywhere vehicle - though having towed horse boxes with swb defender in the past ,,,, not a great experience 

I’m not sure it’s got me (had I the funds) - the aesthetics do nothing for me 

I’d prefer a Landcruiser with some add ons  for go anywhere appeal 

I doubt its aimed at anyone intending to do real work with it, the jap pickups have that market cornered anyhow. More aimed towards the chelsea set now.

Having said that I recently followed one around a Land Rover experience day and it did seem very capable but as previously said they are all too complicated to fix when in the real outback.

As for the previous defenders, I don't see the attraction, god awful things to ride any distance in. 

21 hours ago, Ronin said:

Most horse people with money have a HGV to ferry the equines about - those of us without rely on pickup and trailer or the in bettweenies have Range Rover or Cayenne towing a box 

Perhaps the new defender may appeal to these and may be a comfortable go almost anywhere vehicle - though having towed horse boxes with swb defender in the past ,,,, not a great experience 

I’m not sure it’s got me (had I the funds) - the aesthetics do nothing for me 

I’d prefer a Landcruiser with some add ons  for go anywhere appeal 

We fall into the have nots as well, on our 3rd L200 in 12 years and second Ifor trailer. So wanted a Discovery but they just don’t carry enough stuff and too many reliability horror stories that the “die-hard” brand loyal folks just waft over or out down to character. Even our yard owner who admits he is stupid for being LR loyal has had me go and pick up his trailer 3 times (Whilst out hunting) in the last 3 years while he waits for recovery......

On 8/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, Gluv said:

I agree , the Grenadier is what the defender should have been .

I'm still not sure about the BMW engine and ZF auto box though . Auto as an option sure, and some kind of Jap engine would have been my pick 

Gluv🇬🇧

These are the people to visit - amazing engine installations and they manufacture Landrover parts from scratch. I saw a vid of a 90 defender thet put a BMW engine into - 0-60 in less than 6 seconds with all the handling and stopping power to match.

https://www.4x4fabrication.co.uk

The 90+ Ecu's it has, would put me off, they can't get the 40 odd on the older models to work correctly let alone 90, Land rover have lost the plot. they have moved away from what they were.

a couple of years ago we had 4 top of the range, Range rover Vogues turn up at the shoot i beat on,  anyway they followed the Tractor down the Field, it was only a gentle slope. They parked up went to to their pegs and shot, when they finished none of them could make it out of the Field, it was a pain to get a tow rope on them because of all the bits of plastic, but we pulled them out with a 15 year old Ford Ranger, bit embarrassing for them, i thought, they used to be the ultimate 4x4 but not any more, most bling 4x4 more likely, If you can afford one a Mercedes G wagon is better.  

59 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

I might be so bold to suggest this is the only Defender worth spending money on. Although it would
not be very comfortable in Chelsea.......😀

https://www.bowlermotorsport.com/bowler-cars/bowler-bulldog/

oooooh  I want one !!