.22Lr Training rifle

Yep.

Overkill is undoubtedly the word.

I've rapidly realised that PRL/PR etc, are won and lost on positional stages. No good being sh1t hot off a bipod, you won't get many chances.

I shoot an AXMC and its a lovely, heavy gun.

Covid, little range use, and work time constraints have truly buggered up my practise [not that i never did much anyway ] this year, as it has for so many of us.

I'm no fan of .22lr, always thought it a pipsqueak.

However, it dawned on me a while back, that if I could come up with a similar weighted rifle, with a trigger that could mimic the AXMC, and have the ability to accept all the bags etc used in PRL, then it would be a route worth taking.

A saturday morning, up and down on tank traps, or any other thrown together barricade, and a 500 brick of ammo, would give some very useful, cheap, and easily available practise.

Here's the result.

NGvYJrT.jpg

This is a Zermatt Rim-X action, made by bighorn. I'm a huge fan of their actions, and use a lot in full bore builds, as they are so damn versatile with that removable bolt head.

This looks like an Origin, with a little port.

The bolt is a work of art, and has several unique features, the main one, being a fixed extractor, bolted onto the bolt face, which instantly makes it controlled round feed, and magazine feed only. That means a re barrel is easy, as there is no extractor slot in the breech face.

The round slips under it, where it is held at the opposite side by a sprung , tiny widget. The ejector is in the rear of the action, and you can either drop the cases a couple of inches away, or ping them into the weeds, depending on how fast you manipulate the bolt handle. It feed as slick as a greased weasel.

GMcHYKs.jpg

The bolt is very easy to strip, and the firing pin is easy to pop off and clean.

The action is rem 700 footprint, and will fit any stock/chassis for a rem. The magazine is designed to be used in a chassis or DBM that takes AICS magazines.

The mags are a work of art. They have a follower you can pull down from either side to release the spring pressure to load the magazine.

They are a clamshell design, machined from billet aluminium, easy to strip and clean.

The most innovative part, is that they have an adjustable latch at the rear, so you can set them to your system perfectly. With a little trial and error, i did it inside 5 minutes.

KjmA52x.jpg

The barrel is a heavy varmint proof research, threaded and fitted with an ASE rimfire mod, which is super quiet.

Trigger is a Triggertech unit with a stupidly light pull, which sadly, i'm gonna have to make heavier, to mirror my full bore pull weight.

Think I'm going to enjoy using this .

KNnz5jT.jpg

I had a spare Kahles kicking about with a mil ret, and spur mount, so that went on, to up the weight a bit.

Originally, i planned to use an AX stock, but the pistol grip is the same on the AT, and once the length of pull and cheekpiece were set, I didn't think it necessary . Swapped a couple of skin sets around to give a 2 colour effect that looked well, with the scope, and then added one of Mike Barratt's excellent ARCA rails, designed to fit the AT stock, and that's about it.

I'm seriously comsidering putting good money into a 22lr.

Been looking at the Voodoo and although expensive (really expensive) 22lr is all I shoot at the moment. 

This looks a great build and something I expect to be getting more and more popular here in the UK

Not doubting it for a minute Dave, and in no way am I saying the voodoo is a better rifle in quality.

They obviously shoot exceptionally well from all the competition scores you see from the states. Especially at distance. 

PM me with a price if this is something you are planning on getting into, as I will be in the market once I sell 1 of my rifles. 

Dave

Very nice and I cannot see any reason not to have a good 22rf - you have more chance/locations of using one than a CF of the same design.

Being nosey - what ‘head space’ (rim thickness) did you choose to set up for?

What ammo does it favour so far?

Can I ask what reamer design you went with? I’m looking at the Nevius

cheers T

1 hour ago, terryh said:

Dave

Very nice and I cannot see any reason not to have a good 22rf - you have more chance/locations of using one than a CF of the same design.

Being nosey - what ‘head space’ (rim thickness) did you choose to set up for?

What ammo does it favour so far?

Can I ask what reamer design you went with? I’m looking at the Nevius

cheers T

The rifles are setup with a .043 rim thickness in mind which is CIP minimum.

Nevius design is great for match and BR application, but a poor choice for a repeating rifle if you want reliable function over the course of fire. Something along the lines of a modified Winchester 52D chamber is what most people are using.

Dave

You would have to mod the 52D - it about the tightest chamber out there 😳

The folks I’ve spoken with have not seen that issue with the Nevis, I’m leaning towards this reamer as I like the Lapua/SK offerings re ammunition

think .043’s about spot on as well re rim thickness on Lap/SK that I’ve measured vs Eley and RWS

12o’clock firing pin -😎

T

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously doubt it was a fault on the action. I found simply cycling two different types of ammo, felt different.

The cheap bulk winchester was harder to chamber. The quality RWS ammo, slid in beautifully. All down to rim thickness.

There is no point buying a ferrari, and attempting to run it on 2 star.