6.5CM - RS70 vs RL26

sharps4065

Hi All, brain picking time...

I'm looking for a load for long range shooting with my 6.5CM. So far I've been using Hornady 147gr ELDM. Good results (but could be better) but at £2 every time I pull the trigger I think I've spent enough and have enough brass to start reloading! Far from a newbie at reloading I hasten to add....

I want, in the beginning, to use the Hornady 147gr ELDM bullet and have been trawling the net for load advice - which is many and varied. I also contacted Reload Swiss for advice on this bullet and they came back with RS62. This seems to be a popular powder but, from the RS Quickload output they sent me, velocities were in the 2700 fps range (which is where the factory ammo resides). I really want to get up to 2850 and above being a believer that, as long as grouping, es and sd is good, higher velocities are better for long range based on many years of BPCR shooting.

I've found that RS70 and RL26 is frequently mentioned for the higher velocities and good groups, es & sd with the heavier bullets like the 147grn. but can find little definitive data. Can anybody on here shed any light on a good point to start development using either of these powders?

Cheers

Clive

I'm looking to work up a load for 144 Berger Hybrids.  I'm torn between RS62 and RS70.  A friend has very good results in a 26" barrel with RS70 behind 147 ELD-M.  I may have to experiment along those lines as I have a 30" barrel.

I would start at around 42gr RS70 in a small primer Lapua case, loaded longer than standard.  Of course, what I might do and what you do are completely unrelated when it comes to reloading 😉

I note that Hornady's Match ammo data with 147 ELD-M is 2695 fps out of 24" tube.

What length barrel do you have? 

Not sure what others found, but I’ve always found my velocities were higher than the predicted charge weights that RS provided. 

Also as stated above, factory loading predict 2695 fps from a 24” barrel.... did you ever chrono them in your rifle, to gauge if your barrel is slow or fast.

24" barrel.

I have saved a few Hornady factory for when my MagnetoSpeed turns up. Setting up my CED on the line at Bisley makes me as popular as a fart in a spacesuit....! I've attached the file RS sent me when I enquired about RS loads for the 147grn ELDM

RS load data 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady ELD-M 26333 147gr RS62 (39.5gr start load).pdf

4 hours ago, Scooby-93 said:

I would try RL26 with the 24” barrel, please get back to us with your findings once you begin load development 

Yes, I'm leaning towards RL26 if only because any info I do have is US based and that's what they have easier access to. Unfortunate as my buddy is an RS retailer and I get friends and family 😁 May be some time before I can report back, not got all the kit I need yet. Minor details like dies and bullets are on back order.....

Your never going to get a reliable load @ 2850fps with a 147 ELD-M out of a 24” barrel . 

especially with the powders you have listed . Far too slow . 

your only chance at getting close will be with RS60 or R17 . 

but I still don’t think your do it .... not a chance , but I wish you all the best in trying .

your need a 28” barrel . And a much better bullet and RS60 ! 

59 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Your never going to get a reliable load @ 2850fps with a 147 ELD-M out of a 24” barrel . 

especially with the powders you have listed . Far too slow . 

your only chance at getting close will be with RS60 or R17 . 

but I still don’t think your do it .... not a chance , but I wish you all the best in trying .

your need a 28” barrel . And a much better bullet and RS60 ! 

I agree with this, I'd be surprised if you saw much over 2700 with 147s, RS62 and a 24" tube.

With a couple of hundred down the tube, my 24" was at about 2820 with 143s and 44gr RS62 - and didnt shoot for that which promotes growth and vigour over 43.5 which was around 2785. In this case I think RS's QL prediction of 2737 at 43.5gr with 147s is probably going to be about right. I was loading to AICS mag length and anything north of 43gr with a 143 was a nightmare to seat consistently due to crunching.

As 1oto2 says, RS60/RL17 is the only way you're likely to get anywhere close to 2850, and I'd be very careful with RSs RS60 data; their RS60/143 predictions for the higher charges were seriously underestimating velocity and I assume therefore pressure in my rifle, by like, a lot! As a sidenote, my CMs throat looks pretty good after a fairly hard life on RS60 - my 6mm Blaser barrel is looking pretty sorry for itself however 😜

I really think if you want that speed with 147gr+ (and any kind of barrel longevity (or rather, reasonable barrel life at all) you need more inches...

Same problem with RS62 in my 6.5x47 with 139gr scenars.

You need a couple of movements of the ram to seat it fully due to the compressing of the powder..

With the 140gr amaxs I can use 0.5grs more at 41.5gr that gets 2800fps from 24inch barrel..

RS60 is much less bulky..

I've got some ready too test..

Seats sweet as with no compressing.

I tried a few with 39grs of RS60 as a speed test and it pushed the 139gr scenar 2830fps which would be a mild load.

Interesting that some comments are that RL26, and by comparison therefore RS70, is way too slow. Especially in a 24" barrel. The Alliant reloader's guide on their website lists RL26 "recipes" for both .243 and 25-06 Rem in a 24" barrel.

2 hours ago, Thermal_TI said:

I’m using 45.0gr Of RS62 in my 28” bartlein 6.5CM 

getting 2860 FPS with no pressure signs & single digit SD

using Lapua S/R magnum primers & the 147 ELD-M at 2.880” col

what COAL are you loading to please?

2850 with a 28" I'm sure is achievable, but thats very different to the same in a 24".

I'm surprised you can get 45gr of 62 in a Lap case and still seat consistently at 2.880. I measured Lap case capacity at 51.4gr, QL gives a usable capacity of just under 45gr at 2.850 - with minimal neck tension I was leaving rings on the ogive that you could feel with a finger nail seating 143s with 43.5+

I think your velocity confirms that 2850 with heavies is best achieved with an extra 1/3 of a foot+ of barrel :)

• 2 years later...

Well, a few years down the line and here is what I've found. RL26 IS the unicorn dust that the US shooters claim it to be. 49.6grn of RL26 behind a Hornady 147 ELD is giving me a very accurate load running at 2905 fps with no signs of excessive pressure. That's in a Hornady case using RWS LR primers

Unfortunately RL26 is now as rare as unicorn poo in my area (nationwide?) and I'm virtually out so I'm effectively back to square one with RS powders. I'll be picking up some RS 70 in the near future so watch this space.