UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
baldie

English Chassis system

Spent a very busy day yesterday, rushing round to get this finished for the PRL in Wales on sunday, where one of the owners will be shooting it.

Two pal's and myself got our heads together to design an English designed and made chassis system .

The first prototype is this.

HWdST2k.jpg

Initial made for the Tikka T3 , the next action will be Short action Remington and clones.

Just one or two cosmetic alterations to be made, such as scalloped adjuster wheels etc, then it should be full steam ahead.

ZOgOnUG.jpg

I cerakoted this one in burnt bronze and armour black.

The stock has a full length ARCA rail, culminating in a barricade stop.

eZ74AFU.jpg

As can be seen, it has a series of removable, slidable stainless weights fitted. These cleverly, insert into an Anschutz rail, machined into the sides, from either end. Final production weights will be single screw, and very quickly adjustable.

Cheekpiece is a nice hard plastic, so isn't cold, and fully adjustable, as is the recoil pad, which adjusts vertically and also length of pull.

yKzc9Cz.jpg

C8D7H1o.jpg

The grip is AR15, which means dozens of alternatives. This is the vertical style.

We dropped a tikka, i recently rebarrelled in a fast twist 243 into it, shooting D-Tacs. This gun is an absolute tack driver, and sometimes makes me wonder why we chase esoteric calibers so much, when a 243 can shoot like that one does.

Anyway, scuttled off to a friends farm, and in the last hours of daylight, got it quickly zeroed. It was an inch out from the last chassis it sat in. 

I was quite amazed at its pleasant firing cycle. No harshness or ringing, and the gun recoiled in a straight line, with no muzzle flip.

Very pleased to have been involved in this project, and here are some words of wisdom.

There are a few of us now with both the design capabilities, and CNC manufacture, to make this sort of stuff.

It WILL be cheaper than importing gear, but it needs the support of the British shooter. 

Support our efforts, and the Gucci gear will be made. Dont, and it won't.Simple as that.

Hope you like it, and any constructive comments are most welcome.

The price hasn't been finalised yet, but it will be cheaper than imported stuff.

1 minute ago, Malinois said:

Well. If you can do a true left hand option..........

Just cut a left handed bolt slot into a righty and enjoy easier access to blow dust and crud out of your trigger mech.

Yep, anything can be done, but would lefties want to pay the extra to redraw it all to left hand ?

Very interesting Dave - looks good with elements of design for functionality in competition and practical  use 

Could you advise how far off production this is and maybe message me with cost indication 

It may be perfect for a customer of mine who has lost right eye but shoots right handed (removing cheek piece ) is my thought 

2 hours ago, baldie said:

Yep, anything can be done, but would lefties want to pay the extra to redraw it all to left hand ?

I’m no expert but I hear a CAD computer can just flip it anyway. 

3 hours ago, baldie said:

If the designer knows his stuff it shouldn’t take more than a minute.... 

Certainly looks good. I am assuming that the stock unbolts so there is an option to put a folder on it in the future?

That’s a nice blend of function and aesthetics. So many chassis are just plain ugly. What is the weight of the base chassis, without the removable weights?

Dave is there a recessed hole for a QD sling in the fore end? Pet hate on my acc is having to fit a weight to gain a sling mount. Just a suggestion but it would look a lot better with the stock cap screw recessed. 

19 hours ago, MJR said:

Dave is there a recessed hole for a QD sling in the fore end? Pet hate on my acc is having to fit a weight to gain a sling mount. Just a suggestion but it would look a lot better with the stock cap screw recessed. 

There is an M-Lok flush cup sling mount available so you don’t need to add weights if you don’t want to.

Good work Dave, you and your pals are to be commended for bringing a homegrown option to the market 🇬🇧
Wish you all every success with it.

The ability to cant/tilt the recoil pad may be something to look into. 

Hi Dave, 

Could the chassis system be used for Benchrest. I've a 6br 28" savage action I'm looking for alternative stock. 

Thanks nick 

On 8/15/2020 at 11:34 PM, MJR said:

The production one will have. The cnc tool to do that one job is ridiculously expensive, but they are getting one.

The Q/D hole in the fore end with be an add on.

11 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi Dave, 

Could the chassis system be used for Benchrest. I've a 6br 28" savage action I'm looking for alternative stock. 

Thanks nick 

Benchrest.......

How dare you......😂

17 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi Dave, 

Thanks nick 

Nick - it looks as if could easily be adapted with a bag-rider front and rear but it'd take your Savage out of Factory Class........

Hi Vince, 

I think my 6br is already out of factory class, as I've a 28" Louther barell. 

To be honest I can't remember the class my rifle belongs to. 

Thanks nick 

2 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi Vince, 

I think my 6br is already out of factory class, as I've a 28" Louther barell. 

To be honest I can't remember the class my rifle belongs to. 

Thanks nick 

Sorry Nick - it'll be LIght Gun then.

I hope this catches on !  Echoing the sentiments expressed elsewhere, if the CAD monkey knows his stuff, it oughtn't be too complex a job to have it drawn up for a wide variety of actions

Interesting.

Yes, i'm up for one of these for a T3 when you go into production, i support British wherever i can. lovely looking Job.