If Heineken did shooting ranges

Certainly an excellent venue to train and for competition

Targetry and sand berms every 100 mtrs to 2k 

Electronic hit indicators on many targets, which helps spotting if shooting smaller calibre where hit signature isn’t always seen or heard

The steel targets are very substantial - and numerous, provided by “Toms Targets” 

The site has huge potential and still being developed with concrete mantle firing point and range building to be constructed but there is enough space for twenty or more people to be “live” and allow sufficient space for social distancing to be adhered to 

Due to the topography the wind is tricky often appearing to be multi directional - with wind flags indicating two opposite directions - anyone shot at Raton in New Mexico will know how awkward that is to read and get right 

Very challenging 👍

The venue could be used for additional disciplines such as Benchrest and F class in the future quite easily.

Discipline specific training is , I understand being planned - maybe a course run by Frank G could be arranged in the future 

Ive shot in many competitions in the States and Europe over the years  and have to agree with the original post that the new Gardner’s venue is up there with the best and has potential to be at the top of the tree with inclusion of electronic scoring targets (screen targets) to appeal to disciplines that require it (I think this is being planned ) that would make the venue, truly world class 

I was there too, an excellent day on a first class range.  The atmosphere is enjoyable and the range conduct safe.

Wind reading is definitely a challenge, The various flags down-range were pointing in directions around the compass!

Only one suggestion:  Can we have an additional 18" gong at 1 mile please - one MOA ?

Well done Marc, 1st class indeed.

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

Certainly an excellent venue to train and for competition

Targetry and sand berms every 100 mtrs to 2k 

Electronic hit indicators on many targets, which helps spotting if shooting smaller calibre where hit signature isn’t always seen or heard

The steel targets are very substantial - and numerous, provided by “Toms Targets” 

The site has huge potential and still being developed with concrete mantle firing point and range building to be constructed but there is enough space for twenty or more people to be “live” and allow sufficient space for social distancing to be adhered to 

Due to the topography the wind is tricky often appearing to be multi directional - with wind flags indicating two opposite directions - anyone shot at Raton in New Mexico will know how awkward that is to read and get right 

Very challenging 👍

The venue could be used for additional disciplines such as Benchrest and F class in the future quite easily.

Discipline specific training is , I understand being planned - maybe a course run by Frank G could be arranged in the future 

Ive shot in many competitions in the States and Europe over the years  and have to agree with the original post that the new Gardner’s venue is up there with the best and has potential to be at the top of the tree with inclusion of electronic scoring targets (screen targets) to appeal to disciplines that require it (I think this is being planned ) that would make the venue, truly world class 

How many wind flags are there and is there any plans to put it forward as an F Class venue?

Is it NRA affiliated? 

There are enough flags to give indication of wind out to 1000 mtrs - as with many ranges , there could be more and they could be at height of bullet in flight (if only) but that element - wind calling is down to us really isn’t it 😀

With some further investment in electronic target screens (as Diggle, Blair Athol and Bisley have done)  I see this becoming a further venue for F class competition - the infrastructure is in place - parking, easy access (no 4wD needed) , accommodation nearby and plenty of space (with current restrictions) for many firing points from the mantle 

The target berms are in place and very well constructed 

All that’s needed are the appropriate targets for the discipline shot 

The range is approved by the authorities - I can’t say about NRA affiliation - perhaps Marc could advise better 

I can only add that it is an awesome range to shoot on. The comment about the wind is bang on as when we were there for the SIS last month there were wind flags showing exact opposite directions separated by 100m in distance!! Made my head hurt!!! I look forward to seeing the moving target range in the flesh!! The possibilities at the range are endless

We can put up any extra targets will put one at the mile for next week 

we have no NRA affiliations due to the lack of support we received when trying to set up at the start 

we will have electronic targets fitted at a 1000 yards on Monday for F class shooting will also be able to use same system at the 1 mile and the 2 k targets cameras are also on the way for testing watch this space for more details 

I spent the day there on Sunday along with a couple of the folks on this thread and had what I think was one of the best days shooting I’ve ever had and in truth, I probably missed more than I hit!

Despite the misses or even because of them, the challenge of the weather and the terrain made for some great shooting. One of the highlights for me was not the real long range stuff but the small gong (is that 8”?) at 800 yards which was a real bar steward with that wind! I used far too much ammo on that target but great to see it swing when I connected with it.

The facilities are great as they already are and if Marc manages to develop them as described then this will truly be a world class venue. I for one can’t wait to go back, I only wish it was 100 miles closer!

Thanks Marc for all you’ve achieved here and I wish you all the best with this venue.

49 minutes ago, SMLE said:

I spent the day there on Sunday

What am I thinking about..... I was there Friday!

I blame the percussion damage to my brain by some people’s muzzle brakes...... you know who you are 😁

Just now, SMLE said:

What am I thinking about..... I was there Friday!

I blame the percussion damage to my brain by some people’s muzzle brakes...... you know who you are 😁

🤔 😁

1 hour ago, Viperteks said:

I was there on Friday as well, a superb day out, just a shame that we had to leave at lunch time.
Definitely be back...

And the weather was so much better in the afternoon. 😉

I reckon it was that .416 that blasted the clouds away 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Dear o dear you guys don't have great taste in beer 🙄 Now if Butcombe brewery built shooting ranges .....

Sounds like a great place; sadly it's a good three hundred miles form me - five hours in the car assuming there isn't the usual run of road works 😥

When my back is better, I'll have to find somewhere to stay up there for a couple of nights.

35 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

Dear o dear you guys don't have great taste in beer 🙄 Now if Butcombe brewery built shooting ranges .....

Sounds like a great place; sadly it's a good three hundred miles form me - five hours in the car assuming there isn't the usual run of road works 😥

When my back is better, I'll have to find somewhere to stay up there for a couple of nights.

Eskdale Hotel in Langholm is good, they're cool with taking firearms into the rooms too.  The range is 30/40 mins from there

You would get breakfast on the range - very hospitable and lunch provided too certainly on Comp days 

All at a very reasonable entry fee