223 Rem longer range load

Scrumbag

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice.

Trying to get a longer range target load

1:9 twist so looking for probably max 70gr

A non-compressed load that will run through a bolt action magazine (Max 2.3”)

probably something without a tip (I’ve run out of length with 73gr Hornady ELD-M)

Sierra 69gr? Hornady 68gr? Bergers worth the money? Powder i often used is Ramshot TAC.

Any advice much appreciated.

Scrummy

Scrummy 

In the .223’s small case volume you will probably gain by not sticking to magazine length, do you really need to run a mag for longer range ‘range use’?

bullets in the 70-75g should work in your 1:9 barrel, but probably a suck it and see 🤔

Enjoy

69 grain SierraTMK over CFE223 as indicated by Hodgdon data on line. I shot these in my 9 inch twist Savage with great results at 200 yards on paper and 500 yards on steel. Way less wind drift. Conditions were 3/4 value wind at 10 -15 mph gusting.

I previously had a Savage VLP with 26” tube and 1:9” twist barrel.

The traditional SMK 69gn were ok, but I must confess I was very impressed with the Hornady 68gn HPBT. They’re cheap as chips and very good.

I can’t remember the exact load but I was using VARGET.

Thanks Catch-22.

I was looking at Western Powders (Ramshot) and found this interesting for their TAC loads:

68gr Hornady BTHP-M at 2.250" COAL and a compressed load

69gr Sierra HPBT at 2.260" COAL and a not compressed load

Not sure why they load the bullet a bit shorter. Anyone any ideas?

Scrummy

From memory, the Hornady 68gn is a tad longer and a different shape than the Sierra 69gn SMK.

I think it also has a slightly longer bearing surface. Good bullet though - and at the price it’s definitely gonna be my .223AI fireforming load before I step up to the 80g bullets.

I have just shot today 600yards using my .223 Remington with 69 grain Sierra Match King, Lapua brass and 25grs of Vit140 with good results in high wind (Diggle). Best was a 5 shot group of 133mm (2nd best of my groups was 153mm). The average speed of the group at 600yards was 1421ft/s and the starting speed is 2811ft/s (this works in my rifle, don't know about others). I was using a bipod and rear bag.

For content images from Shotmarker

200809 - 600yards BR(1).JPG

200809 - 600yards BR.JPG

Outstanding groups at 600 with that bullet.

I use the 69TMK with 24.6gr N140/25gr RS50 and cannot get anywhere near that.  77Gr TMKs shoot into very similar group sizes for me though.   I haven't yet tried the 69SMK but most I speak to much prefer it over the TMK as I've yet to meet anyone who likes that bullet!

• 1 month later...

With my 1:9" I can manage 1000 with 77SMKs but not with any great consistency - I can usually hit three out of the four Fig11s on the 1000 target backer but hit them is all I can realistically hope for, they are all on the backer though🤗.

But at 600 they are hard to beat: 24.2gn of R15 loaded to mag length.

• 4 weeks later...

My rem 700 with a 1:9 twist shoots very well with the 69gr smk over 24hr vhit 140.  It will take more but it loves this load. Went out to 600 metres with this load with great results.

I also use the 68gr hornadys over 24gr of tac and you could get a fair bit more in there, it settles very well.

These are both magazine length loads.

Not sure how much further you could go out to with these, bit they performed well and were easy on the brass.