I'm a bit worried about handloads getting wet

in this lovely weather. Has anyone had problems

with cartridges giving problems after being damp or

almost soaked when out in the rain. I haven't had

any problems with factory ammo yet. Are they

possibly a sealed?

Shotgun shells gave me problems in the past, but

only after a swim.

Can one apply something to seal primers and heads?

any ideas?

edi

Hi Edi,

The area most likely to give you problems is the primer and the pocket, to seal this paint around the edge of the primer and the pocket with red nail varnish, then using a swab of cottonwool dampened with nail varnish remover, wipe the bottom of the case in order to just leave the varnish in the gap between the primer and the pocket.

The reason to use red is so that you have an instant visual check of which cases have been done or not.

Unless your bullets are almost falling into the case neck there is not much chance of the powder being contaminated by the migration of water between the bullet and the neck.

Unlike penetrating oils, water does not have the properties to enable it to seep between the two components.

Ian.

most factory rounds are sealed

been to the largest ammo manufacturer in the world and seen all the tricks and how they seal them but just cant remember the name of the substance used at the mo

I remember the guy saying its basicly like nail varnish and its sprayed around the primer pocket and case mouth and is quick drying.

would it be of interest if I post some pictures of the proceedures in manufacturing cases, bullets loading etc???????????????????

because high security clearance is needed in these places and the fear of terrorists gaining knowledge of security etc is high, I would have to study the pictures I have to ensure they do not contain any sensitive material before posting so will only do so if there is enough interest

so who's keen??????????????????????????????????

may be it should be given its own post???? if so, start one to see who's interested and I will post pics

Guest 308Panther
most factory rounds are sealed

been to the largest ammo manufacturer in the world and seen all the tricks and how they seal them but just cant remember the name of the substance used at the mo

I remember the guy saying its basicly like nail varnish and its sprayed around the primer pocket and case mouth and is quick drying.

would it be of interest if I post some pictures of the proceedures in manufacturing cases, bullets loading etc???????????????????

because high security clearance is needed in these places and the fear of terrorists gaining knowledge of security etc is high, I would have to study the pictures I have to ensure they do not contain any sensitive material before posting so will only do so if there is enough interest

so who's keen??????????????????????????????????

may be it should be given its own post???? if so, start one to see who's interested and I will post pics

I would be very interested in seeing the info....

308Panther

Guest rogern

I was thinking only last night that I'd like to visit an ammo factory to watch the processes.

I find it hard to believe that they get such exact powder measures when they must be making thousands an hour, must be some seriously precise kit.

Me and a mate pulled a few factory rounds a few years ago they was all of the same batch cant remember the manufacturer but there was inconsistancies in the weight of powder but if l remember correctly nothing alarming

sorting through pics now and have seen a couple of bits I will have to brush out but nothing serious

the hopper or load consistancy is like having your rcbs or similar operating automated and dumping straight into case

got some interesting pics of the anealing table that you guys will like

the stage of the process just after seating was interesting for me (though I dont seem to have a picture of it) was inside a machine where working parts are viewed through glass/plastic screens was LEE factory crimps crimping bullets at high speed

DDDDOOOOEEEE guess thats why they are called lee factory crimp and not lee home crimp

will promise to post pics within two days, and will start new topic for it. where's the best section for you guys to see it???

got some good pics of both cases and bullets being stamped, cupped and drawn from brass and copper sheet

also bullet core's being formed from massive drums of lead rope

any way just a little to wet your appitite

is there a limit to how many pics I can put in one thread??????

p.s to my close friends that will guess where this will be, can I please ask you not to post on here the location as they are a major military supplier for the world and big strings had to be pulled to a) get into the site and ;) take pictures please please pretty please

wasnt allowed to take pictures of the under ground 300yrd ballistic testing tunnel range shooting the 50cal with tracers inc, into darkness......spiral staircaseing eeeeeerrrryy ;)

So my feeling seemed right there seems to be an issue with waterproof cartridges

Looking forward to seeing the pics of silentsouls.

Silent, I know what you mean with go into a basemet and do tests.

I was once roped into devolping ceramics for those blue Nato Vests while

the Bosnian conflict. We went way down some cellar in Switzerland and

fired 308 armour piercing rounds at samples at 10m, was very interesting.

But as usual price dictates security. For car armouring it was like

6mm steel for Colonel, 8mm for 2 star Gen and so on.

edi

About 20 years ago I loaded some 7x57 using commercial components and no sort of weather proofing. I then submerged them in a jar of water for 48 hours. After drying I shot some darned fine groups with them; no problems. Not to say waterproofing isn't necessary, but for a casual hunt it probably isn't necessary with well constructed ammunition.~Andrew

About 20 years ago I loaded some 7x57 using commercial components and no sort of weather proofing. I then submerged them in a jar of water for 48 hours. After drying I shot some darned fine groups with them; no problems. Not to say waterproofing isn't necessary, but for a casual hunt it probably isn't necessary with well constructed ammunition.~Andrew

I use a single shot rifle and had rounds on a stock shell holder during a wet day last Sept time. 6 months later there were signs of staining and corrosion on the necks of two cases that I came to use, i can only assume that these were two off the stock that day as I dont usually venture out with a rifle in the wet. . I intended to pull them and re tumble them but fired them in a group by mistake. They shot fine.

A

Archived