Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
brown dog

Modern 12b Hammer Gun?

Recommended Posts

I've got a bizarre hankering after a workhorse side by side hammer 12b, but something made to modern standards - does such a thing exist in UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too..!

Bosis used to do them and if you have £15K+ im sure they would make you one 😀 Im certain a UK manafacture used to make one as well ( MacNab, Mc Naughton?) 

At the other end of the scale Bikal do them, I had a 16G game gun  once weighed more than a 12B trap gun but fun.  Please let me know if you find any, Id be very interested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had four and still own two of them, and all were very reasonably priced.
Still own the 2nd one I bought as well as the 4th, bought about 3 weeks ago.
No.2 has been chopped to 24.5" & had a lot of work done to the stock to strip the Soviet AK-red varnish/dye
No.4 will be kept in original length but will be getting a full strip down of the metal and a similar strip & oil of the stock.

A good design, with hand engraved side-locks and fixed firing pins. their inspiration was allegedly a 19th Century Holland & Holland, but it has been so long since I did any major research into the design.
A mainstay of Soviet engineering when they needed hard currency from the West, as well as a strong solid gun for the local hunters to use
Allegedly the barrels are regulated to shoot slug to the same point of impact at 50m - and being chrome lined barrels they can take some punishment yet are easy to clean 

Look for the TULA (brand/maker) TOZ66 (model)
Commonly mis-named as Baikal made guns, due to being marketed by the Baikal firm in the UK. 
They define WORKHORSE - chances are if you broke one you'd be in a serious state yourself as they're very solid - and they change hands at anything from £60 to £200 depending on caliber, etc.

I was also going to mention a Pedersoli that I saw in NZ, but the nearest UK option is £1300 - ditto for a Beretta that's havering at the £400 mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have a 16 gauge hammer baikal 40 year originally for  western re enactment  then just fun  take it to a clay shoot now and again just to confuse everyone . i bought a 28 bore  sxs hamerless and a multi choke single triger sxs  (hammerless )  all from the same stable ... cheap fun things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, saddler said:

I've had four and still own two of them, and all were very reasonably priced.
Still own the 2nd one I bought as well as the 4th, bought about 3 weeks ago.
No.2 has been chopped to 24.5" & had a lot of work done to the stock to strip the Soviet AK-red varnish/dye
No.4 will be kept in original length but will be getting a full strip down of the metal and a similar strip & oil of the stock.

A good design, with hand engraved side-locks and fixed firing pins. their inspiration was allegedly a 19th Century Holland & Holland, but it has been so long since I did any major research into the design.
A mainstay of Soviet engineering when they needed hard currency from the West, as well as a strong solid gun for the local hunters to use
Allegedly the barrels are regulated to shoot slug to the same point of impact at 50m - and being chrome lined barrels they can take some punishment yet are easy to clean 

Look for the TULA (brand/maker) TOZ66 (model)
Commonly mis-named as Baikal made guns, due to being marketed by the Baikal firm in the UK. 
They define WORKHORSE - chances are if you broke one you'd be in a serious state yourself as they're very solid - and they change hands at anything from £60 to £200 depending on caliber, etc.

I was also going to mention a Pedersoli that I saw in NZ, but the nearest UK option is £1300 - ditto for a Beretta that's havering at the £400 mark

Sounds perfect! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 12:35 PM, brown dog said:

I've got a bizarre hankering after a workhorse side by side hammer 12b, but something made to modern standards - does such a thing exist in UK?

CZ has a hammer double one with 30 inch barrel's the other is a coach gun no chokes 20 inch barrel's. I have the coach gun. Used on rabbit's and 16 yard handicap trap doubles. Yes the high end shooter's looked askance at me until I managed 23 of 25 birds smashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

CZ has a hammer double one with 30 inch barrel's the other is a coach gun no chokes 20 inch barrel's. I have the coach gun. Used on rabbit's and 16 yard handicap trap doubles. Yes the high end shooter's looked askance at me until I managed 23 of 25 birds smashed.

The coach gun look was what I was after for the Tula's, but UK laws mean the minimum barrel length on a shotgun is 24" - any shorter and they need to be held on a Firearms Certificate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy