Send it Series 2020

Ronin

Just back from the first competition of the Send it Series at Gardner Guns new venue - the 2K Range at Eskdalemuir

The  Range is superbly laid out with steel targetry with some electronic markers out to 2000 metres 

Each target area has well graded sand berm so spotting misses is possible (and allows correction)

Wind flags are dotted around the range that help to gauge windage correction 

The Range is superb 

The competition today provided thirty plus competitors, eight stages  of Precision Rifle Shooting from various props, out to 700 plus meters in stress inducing timed  competition 

The courses of fire were testing to all levels of ability and very well run by Gardner’s RCO’s, markers and spotting staff - it was very well run from the start with lunch ans breakfast provided within the very reasonable entrance fee 

It was great to see many friends from previous competitions and in a very friendly non egotistical environment 

Well done to Dan Owens who won the open Comp and Billie and Anna two junior shooters who won the 22 (Little SIS ) event with joint scores of 66 (ex 68) - it was Anna’s first ever competition too 

Thoroughly enjoyable event 

Well Done !

Just looked to see how far this was away from me.

Only an hours drive that makes things easier for sure. 

Thing is I only currently shoot 22lr and now looking into CF (have a. 223 on my licence to obtain a rifle) 

Would someone like myself be welcome to gain experience from such an event or would I be better off trying something else before jumping in?

I'm not new to shooting and used go compete in 22lr prone shooting in my teens and have some experience with CF. 

Little Send it Series is 22RF using same stage props (where one shoots from ) and same time limits but with targets appropriate for 22RF distance (out to 100 mtrs ) 

Just as challenging

For those not on Facebook, here are the final results! I believe an official write up is underway!

Well done to all those shooting, it was a very enjoyable day with a challenging set of stages.

Huge thanks to Marc, Helen and everyone else who helped make the day possible.

SIS results.PNG

The competition was a well run and more importantly a safe event. The weather was poor first thing so the start was a little delayed with light drizzle for the morning giving way to better weather in the afternoon. 

The venue is impressive and its obvious there's been a serious amount of hard work and forethought put into the range. The competition was shot over 8 stages with RCO, spotter and marker for each stage with the RCO giving targetry, time limit and safety brief on each stage with a clear Hit or Miss given on each shot - well done to those individuals, it makes a huge difference to the shooters. The targets were robust and each with a good backstop that was 'dumb' when damp but gave good feedback once they started to dry out. All the distances were sensible with the shorter range targets used for the more difficult multi positional stages, my particular favourite being an UKD stage consisting of three targets spaced around a hillside - a very well thought out stage.

The image below shows the range with targetry out to 2000mtr. The berm on the far left is the 1000yd F class target and there is also a moving target in the centre of the range just to the left of the access road.

20200725_154559-min (2).jpg

Congrats to Dan using an AI with a Valkyrie barrel. In fact, 5 out of the top ten were built/barrelled here.

Nice to see Andy's new gun doing so well too, he's put a lot a thought into that, and I will be having a plink with it when I see you buddy..😀

This unfortunately clashed with a CSR date  for me, but certainly looks a fun place, and no doubt worth a visit in the future.

Its also SO nice to see a range report from ranges that are open, without limitless restrictions again.

Great stuff. 😎

I’ve just done a tot up and five of the top ten used rifles I’ve re barrelled or made 😄

Good to see an even split Dave

Always welcome to have a try with the “dark side” 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheers Neil 

looking forward to the next Comp in October 

I hear the lads on the long range Comp last week had a good time and many impressed with the new range 

Best in the UK was one comment - which must be good to hear for the owners and all staff who have worked so hard at making it what it is 

You won't be disappointed.

We went last weekend, and I was astounded at the place. There really is no other range in the UK with facilities like this one, and what's there is just the start.

Thank God its in the North.

Absolutely stunning place....went a few weeks ago and bloody glad it is up North too...Helpful hint ,drop off at Penrith on the way up And about a half mile off the M6 on the left on the way into town there is a country food store/cafe called Cranston’s ...pies sausage rolls bacon and sausage barns /sandwiches and breakfasts all top notch grub at non motorway prices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, ColinBR said:

Just contacted Helen at Gardners gun to see about becoming a member there. 

Really quick in replying and as helpful as can be. 

Looking forward to trying out the ranges over the next couple of months

I'm heading for my first time in November Colin.

If your there that day your welcome to use my .223 or .308 on the day, although the .223 is a work in progress. Drop me a pm if so