Action deep clean

How often do you clean out the action, and how do you do it? This is my approach, using the ultrasonic cleaning bath (full of water), plus a 500ml measuring cylinder with enough paraffin to cover the action.

After 15 mins or so, I mop off excess paraffin, and rinse the inside out with a good squirt of brake cleaner which dries in seconds. Takes around 45 mins, including dismantling and re-assembly after lubing.

I've seen shaped brushes etc. for reaching the lug faces, but I've found this to be the simplest way.

Even if you don't have a suitable ultrasonic bath, simply working the action up and down in the cylinder of solvent will achieve the same result, especially if you use a better solvent like petrol.

Pete

Clean 1.jpg

Clean 2.jpg

Never found it necessary on a bolt action to date.  I have found a 410 wool mop works well to clean the chamber on a .308 (I always make sure no hairs left behind).    Lever rifles get a full strip every now and again for a thorough clean out

Good Idea using the bath and separate internal container with solvent, will remove all debris and retain within the slave container too so not ruining your ultrasonic cleaing fluid.

Standing the part proud of the base (in the case of an action the tang does this) prevents the part becoming awash with removed crud.

The Quadlite has come very clean...

Always interesting how much crap comes out of a "cleaned rifle" with Ultrasonic

It's actually a CG-RPA 2000.............I think that's the same as a Quadlock?..............it's been round the galaxy a few times, but is still tight, and looks as good as new when spruced up.

Pete

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Never done that. I clean what I can reach and call it done.~Andrew

We are alike and now and then i use the lug recess tool. Unless the action is full of grit ( always possible in wy) i dont worry much.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:30 AM, Re-Pete said:

How often do you clean out the action, and how do you do it? 

I haven't the faintest. One has staff for that sort of thing

😉

• 2 months later...

Does anyone lube the trigger mech after this method? 

The trigger is removed first, ultrasonic'd in a different container, rinsed with brake cleaner, then lubed. Different trigger makers have different opinions on lubing.

RPA recommend graphite paste on the sears and pivots, and grease on the springs.

For the CG Universal 2-stage triggers that I use, Jackson Rifles say: "lubricate sparingly with WD-40 or a similar light oil which will evaporate to leave a dry lubricating coat"

They then go on to say: "When used in dusty conditions, the trigger will operate without lube provided the pull weight is set to 500grams or more"

I put a spot of light oil on the pivot pins and give the rest a squirt of "Anti friction dry PTFE lubricant", which is also made by the WD-40 people.

Pete

2 hours ago, gunner said:

Does anyone lube the trigger mech after this method? 

Good question, I have a Bixn-Andy, B&M Barnard and an Orsis trigger.  Infrequently done but I've always just flushed through with Napier Cleaner/Lubrication and a light gun oil.  Never had any issues but it's prompted me to find out  - neither B&M or Bixn-Andy have data on their websites.  I've used Napier cleaner/lub for years on my shotgun triggers without any problems.   I think the trick is keep it to a minimum.

For Marlin and Henry underlevers and CZ 455 I just blast cleaner to flush off the crap and use gun oil.  Works well.

Just back from Bixn-Andy:

"Hi,

Cleaning with degreaser or break fluid etc....
But please no oil or grease in the trigger.
Works dry.
Kind regards 

Andy

Atzl Andy

Geschäftsführer / CEO

Bix'n Andy - Atzl GmbH"

By brake fluid I think he means brake cleaning fluid