Tuition

I'm very conscious of the fact that my last formal firearms tuition was thirty-five years ago (and nothing at all to do with sport shooting). I shoot alone and am not at all interested in joining a club so learning by osmosis isn't going to happen. Actually I'm quite happy with this in some ways but I am also aware that since gaining my FAC a couple of years ago I may have developed undesirable habits that an 'outsider' would identify. I also want to shoot more accurately, I've let many targets escape because I wasn't sure of a clean kill. The last thing I want on my conscience is a an animal suffering on my account. There's also the fun of producing a cloverleaf on a paper target, I'd like to be able to manage that on a regular basis.

Riflecraft have been suggested and I'm trying to contact them, other suggestions gratefully accepted.

WMS Firearms Training

Ceredigion

01974 780717

Not used them myself but they're usually at the British Shooting Show so not a 'fly by night'

Personally, I have't come across anyone in the UK I would pay for formal tuition. You get a lot more for your money in the US from instructors who actually have qualifications if that's an option for you ?

Having said that, I think there are a number of extremely good shooters who I am sure would be able to help you out with a few pointers if you bought them a pint. 

I think I would go to Bradley Bourner; strong Highland stalking background followed by a real (as opposed to imagined) background in sniping and, although it's around 14 years since I met him; a nice bloke. Can't remember the name of his company.. someone please chip in!

It'll be a while before I'm seeing my friends in the US, either here or there. Their countrymen seem hell bent on infecting the entire country, it's going to be months before I get the chance to pick up some cheap ammunition.

PaulC

a day’s one to one with any of those mentioned, or even Orion, will sort your technique, boost your confidence and sort out what your rifle will do.

US is fun and a few more opportunities but not really necessary.

Cheers t

I think the ones in Scotland are too far away unless nothing comes up dahn sarf (or east or west). I've done some range shooting in the US with friends who own all manner of firearms but no hunting there.

Forecast is good tomorrow. I'll pack a picnic, head up to the quarry in the afternoon for some targets (new moderator on one rifle so that'll need zeroing) followed by an evening on the foxes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.