Tikka T3x Supervarmint or CTR

Hi guys

Looking to get my first CF rifle, and have narrowed it down to either a Tikka Supervarmint or a CTR in stainless in 223.

Currently both around the same price so was wondering if the CTR with its box type magazine has any benefit over the supervarmint. Or if there are any other benefits from either rifle. 

Thanks

Colin

39 minutes ago, AnthonyR said:

Have a read to this thread:

If you have any questions after that then ask away, I have just been through the same dilema as you have.

Thanks for that. Had a read over it. 

So what is the benefit of the Box magazine's rather than the standard Tikka mags? Is it more to do with the length of round you can put in the box type mags? 

Not for me, I am not interested in shooting heavy bullets so mag length was not a problem for me but I was more interested in getting 10 rounds in as low a profile as possible, so the CTR made sense to me.

Personally I prefer the CTR mag to the AICS ones but with the CTR bottom metal you can use either.

You can also buy 10 round standard Tikka mags in 223, which if I hadn't bought a CTR Bifrost stock before I was let down with my rifle order I might have gone this route.

Bit of confusion from your thread (just my reading of it) 

Can say a stainless varmint then use a CTR/AICS mag so long as you have the stock inletted for CTR and have the CTR/Atlasworks bottom metal? 

• 1 month later...

Both are fantastic rifles. The CTR mag and bottom metal is much better than the standard poly Tikka offering, but there are quite a few bottom metal and replacement mag options available now.

I'd go for the CTR to get the 10 round mag and not have to worry about spending more on a replacement bottom metal and AICS mags.

Is it a range rifle or walk about / cross over rifle? 

If it’s purely range work, get the varmint as they barrel profile is slightly thicker. My CTR used to walk off when it got hot after only reasonably short shot strings. 

If you’re walking about with it the CTR is perfect and the GRS bifrost is a great stock. Spare CTR mags are expensive or were when I had one, and I prefer the AICS.  But you could always change your mind to AICS later on down the line of you wanted to. You can get bottom metals that accept both CTR and AICS magazines which might be the most sensible option.