.223 brass

RobinC

I'm an experienced reloader primarily with Match quality 6 mmBR, so I know how to case prep, but I'm now going to load .223 for the first time,  again for match target,  out of a match action,  purely for accuracy, so a question for you guys with .223 experience, I'm going to start with new brass, is there any significant difference in the quality of the various makes of new brass? 

There is significant difference in the price of new brass, make to make, say PPU to Lapua which would have been my choice, is there any significant difference in the performance? 

Thanks

Robin

1 hour ago, RobinC said:

I'm an experienced reloader primarily with Match quality 6 mmBR, so I know how to case prep, but I'm now going to load .223 for the first time,  again for match target,  out of a match action,  purely for accuracy, so a question for you guys with .223 experience, I'm going to start with new brass, is there any significant difference in the quality of the various makes of new brass? 

There is significant difference in the price of new brass, make to make, say PPU to Lapua which would have been my choice, is there any significant difference in the performance? 

Thanks

Robin

Serious comp shooters will always use the very best components - you can never take that shot again!  If you are already loading match quality 6BR then you will be using Lapua or Norma brass.

Lapua do a 223 Match case - that would be my starting point.

However, you might like to read this - it did throw up the odd surprise: http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=301

If you can source it there, the NammoTech 5.56 brass is an easy way to get Lapua quality brass, on the cheap.  Made in the same factory, same drilled flash hole and same consistency.   Here in the US, 1000 pieces can be had for $169 or so, which is a damned sight cheaper than blue boxed Lapua.  The distributor here orders it by the shipping container load, and has no issues selling it all in short order (nudge to my UK brethren in the trade).

Just an FYI...