6.5 Creedmoor Reloading (UK)

Richie88

As Andrew says really. What is your aim - cheap and plentiful plinking ammo, robust hunting round, decent target round or platinum laser? It's easy enough to look at a few components (powder, round, brass) and then work out a rough costing. Powder is easy enough to estimate - get an average per round grain weight and divide a pot of powder by that grain weight to figure out roughly how many rounds you'll get. 

+1 on SchmidtP3. 

Assuming you have the press etc?

I don't reload for my 6.5CM. I just use it for plinking. It's not my go-to rifle

I do reload my other calibers because of accuracy and I actually enjoy the process. I will reload my WSM as cant get decent factory ammo for it.

If it helps - there is even an app  HandLoad2 made by RangeTimeApps that will help you calculate it.  Stick your wish list prices, the assumption for brass reuse, and away you go. Just don't show to the other half the result.

SWMBO still thinks my 308 costs 10p a round

Mike

Ballpark, 80p a round.

Bullet - 40p

Brass - 10p per firing.

Powder - 25p

Primer - 5p

Thats based on getting 10 firings from new Lapua brass and using Sierra 130 TMKs. I would say 60p to £1.20 would be the extreme ends of the scale. Ten firings is doable on the brass easily if your not loading nuclear but like everything if you want match grade ammo then bullets can go to around 70p or more and if you can get a job lot of older bullets they might come in at 20p each or even less. 

Barrel life is one that many dont consider, on a 6.5CM that could be in the 30p to £1.50 per shot range depending on the initial barrel cost and how you use it.

6 hours ago, FB66 said:

+1 on SchmidtP3. 

Assuming you have the press etc?

I don't reload for my 6.5CM. I just use it for plinking. It's not my go-to rifle

I do reload my other calibers because of accuracy and I actually enjoy the process. I will reload my WSM as cant get decent factory ammo for it.

If it helps - there is even an app  HandLoad2 made by RangeTimeApps that will help you calculate it.  Stick your wish list prices, the assumption for brass reuse, and away you go. Just don't show to the other half the result.

SWMBO still thinks my 308 costs 10p a round

Mike

Cheers Mike I’ll check out that app now. Very useful 

15 minutes ago, martin_b said:

IMHO if you worried about the cost you may as well buy S&B  at  somewhere around 85p each, and  reloading for the exotica.

There was no mention about ‘worrying of cost’. 

I’m intrigued to see what sort of costings people were coming out with on varying ammunition for different applications.  

As the post suggested, I’m new to reloading.

11 hours ago, Big Al said:

Ballpark, 80p a round.

Bullet - 40p

Brass - 10p per firing.

Powder - 25p

Primer - 5p

Al,  how do you get 25p for powder?

1kg of N150 is about £80 so 2p per grain in round numbers (2.205 x 7000/8000).  That's about 80p per bang at 40gr load

Can I buy my powder from you?  😁

15 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

1kg of N150 is about £80 so 2p per grain in round numbers (2.205 x 7000/8000).  That's about 80p per bang at 40gr load

I think you need to check your arithmatic. 25p looks about right to me.

Triffid

oh yeh, don't do maths after dinner involving wine......

I'll get my coat

Apologies to Big Al

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

I just pulled the figures off the top of my head but around 42.5gr of N160 wont be far off depending on bullet weight.

42.5gr = 2.756g

1000g tub divided by 2.756g will give 362 loads.

If the powder is £90/tub then divided by 362 works out at  24.86p/load.

Buying in bulk and shopping around can certainly help get these costs down but when I first got into reloading I thought it was to save money, how wrong I was! 

No need to apologise Pops, Im far from perfect and have been known to get things wrong myself from time to time. The last time I was wrong still haunts me to this day, 4th June 1976, a day I will never forget! 😂

Just now, Big Al said:

No need to apologise Pops, Im far from perfect and have been known to get things wrong myself from time to time, the last time I was wrong still haunts me to this day, 4th June 1976, a day I will never forget! 😂

That's my go at being wrong - I should be right from now on.........😂