Polyethylene plastic pellets.

You can get various weights, sizes, shapes etc.

Don’t get the pellets that easy mould or change shape when heated to low temps. Most should be ok but you don’t want to find your rear bag has turned into a plastic puddle if left out in the sun on a hot day 😎

https://www.poliplasticpellets.com/

Hi Paul

I use non-absorbent cat litter for light filling of bags. Its called Katakor and is used to obtain urine samples from cats - eBay is your friend here.

Heavy - zirkon sand from spud reloading.

Cat litter is more expensive than the sand!

Mike

Hi Paul,

+1 on Catch's and Mike's recommendations. 

The cat litter stuff I have used in the past sounded crunchy and creates a bit of white powder but the plastic beads which I use in my homemade adjustable grippy rear bag works a treat.

Cheers

G

chromate sand from foundry supplies - way cheaper than shooting supplies.  Very heavy

https://www.artisanfoundry.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=156

6 hours ago, FB66 said:

Katakor

I read that as beginning with 'kack'.

Which probably says more about me thatn anything else.

Thanks all. I'm nowhere near Halifax so will start off with pellets, a bit of sand and work my way up from there. (I initially filled it with sand and nearly gave myself a hernia).

200.webp?cid=ecf05e475f2b7bb8e8a24691ae2

• 4 weeks later...

I tried cat litter, but as mentioned by gruntus, but apart from the powder puffs from the seams and getting everywhere, the granules set like cement when my bags got wet. After ditching the (now ruined) bags, I filled a new set with 6mm 0.12g B&B pellets. Less than 12 quid on Am@z0n for a box of 5000.

Sand has a tendency to keep any water and soon grows some interesting moulds.

If you have any plastic moulding companies near you then the raw pellets they use are very good and are the basic materials that commercial rear bag manufacturers utilise NB  lots of different types to obtain the right feel and ‘lock up’ etc

Molding machines use dried pellets and sometime they over cook them = material that they have to throw away = normally free.

Pellets do not rot or absorb water and being irregular shapes they lock up better as opposed to BB’s which are round 

brgds T

I have just packed mine out with rags, i get plenty of them for the workshop, i didn't want something i couldn't lift + i can un zip it and get a clean rag out to wipe the Gun down.

• 3 weeks later...

Northern Farmer suggested :       1kg CHEAP Plastic Pellets Granules. Stuffing, weighting and Filling

from Ebay. Have you actually used these, and if so, what's the approx. volume of 1 kilo, please?

Pete

Belay that last post......I've found the answer here on ebay:         Recycled HDPE Plastic Pellets/Beads. Stuffing,Filling.

About 1700mls per kilo.

Pete

8 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Northern Farmer suggested :       1kg CHEAP Plastic Pellets Granules. Stuffing, weighting and Filling

from Ebay. Have you actually used these, and if so, what's the approx. volume of 1 kilo, please?

Pete

Filled a size 12 sock amply where my foot goes tied it off and pulled the remainder round and tied that off.    you can get a real good hold on it even with my hands

• 4 weeks later...

I used sand originally, but found a very fine dust emerging from the stitching...........and abrasive dust tends to get everywhere and doesn't do the metalwork any good at all.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...