Murom primers required Derby

Scotch_egg

I need some primers for my 6.5X47 on an early Accuracy International AT

CCI400’s pop like corn at the cinema. The BR4’s work but murom are half the price. 

As Derby is the centre of the country (world)

can any one identify a dealer???

I bought some Murom LR primers from the RFD at my club the other week. I know he had Magtech SR primers, not sure if he had Murom SR but can ask him if you like?

I've seen several damaged bolts of late, with horrendous gas cutting into them. That bad, the only remedy is welding up.

The common denominator was Murom primers.....

Scotch....get some CCI450's, they are just over half the price of the BR4, and work better in 6.5 x 47 anyway. 

8 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

I need some primers for my 6.5X47 on an early Accuracy International AT

CCI400’s pop like corn at the cinema. The BR4’s work but murom are half the price. 

As Derby is the centre of the country (world)

can any one identify a dealer???

I'm sure there's plenty of dealers in Derby but of the illegal white powdery stuff mainly 😁

3 hours ago, baldie said:

I've seen several damaged bolts of late, with horrendous gas cutting into them. That bad, the only remedy is welding up.

That's worrying, how does the gas cutting happen ?  Puncturing primers?

8 hours ago, baldie said:

Scotch....get some CCI450's, they are just over half the price of the BR4, and work better in 6.5 x 47 anyway. 

The CCI 450 produces groups twice the size of those the Murom KVB223M shoots in my 6.5x47. Only used a few hundred Muroms, but haven't had one pierced. Were the problems caused by the standard KVB223 or the tougher KVB223M?

Scotch Egg, if you want some, I think you've got my number.

3 hours ago, baldie said:

How do you think the gas was leaking back to cut the bolt face? I have just started using Murom primers and find them a tighter fit in primer pockets than CCI or Federal. I haven’t seen any that have pierced so can’t see how the primer choice could cause the effect you describe unless the primer pockets were already shagged?

1 hour ago, 17 Rem said:

The CCI 450 produces groups twice the size of those the Murom KVB223M in my 6.5x47. Only used a few hundred Muroms, but haven't had one pierced. Were the problems caused by the standard KVB223 or the tougher KVB223M?

Scotch Egg, if you want some, I think you've got my number.

That would be excellent if you have a couple of hundred spare. I don’t seem to have your number. 

No idea how its happened, but the cutting on the bolt face would indicated leakage around the edge. Perhaps they were used in loose pockets.

You never get the full story second hand, but those were the primers used, and enough for me to stop selling them personally.

Perhaps with them being so hard, gas is taking the path of least resistance, ie, around a loose pocket.

It’s possible that the harder materiel is not malleable enough to form a true gas seal ?

I used Muron quite a bit in the F class rifles and isn’t have issues with gas cutting - but my brass was good and loose pockets were ditched as soon as noticed 

il bet the gas cutting could be caused by people reloading loose pocketed brass - though that’s only a theory 

The Cci standard primers work very well in my 47 Scotch perhaps give them a try (or get a small pin bolt head fitted ,,,) 

2 hours ago, baldie said:

Think I still have a 1000 in the shop Scotch, yours if you want to pick them up. No charge.

Very kind offer Dave. I have sourced some 223M’s locally. 

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

(or get a small pin bolt head fitted ,,,) 

It near £500 for a bolt which I just can’t justify yet. I had a handful of BR4’s that I ran on a hot day with my standard load in a hot rifle and they stood up. So for now if the Murom don’t work I will source some. 

I too have used Murom KVB-223m (magnums) in several 6.5x47 rifles over the years. Have used several thousand (have many many more stocked up in the cupboard) and never had a problem. I too have found them to be a ‘tight’ Fit in the primer pockets. No signs of gas leakage, even on very high loads.

IMO, they’re definitely much much better than CCI450s...they were a bag of crap and gave shocking ES/SD. A simple switch to Muroms with no other change and ES/SD in single digits. 

I'm not familiar with the sr muroms but I have some to try from Brillo. I've used quite a few lr muroms and they are a fraction bigger and ideal when the cases have been well used.. seating the muroms in well used brass can be like seating primers in new brass 🤩.

A shooting mate had his Barrett 98b bolt face gas cut with a federal gold magnum primer.. he had a new bolt fitted and I think it happened again 🙄

It was either not seated fully, a faulty primer pocket or faulty primers..

20 hours ago, baldie said:

Only the primer was a fault? i would think over pressure was involved or the firing pin point or both. And as i see in another post possible poor seating. To date i haven't blown a primer in anything i handloaded. My blown primer experience is from com bloc 7.62x25 and in Korean surplus M-1 Ball nothing other than my M-1 stock shattered no metal damage.

As were on primers I loaded some ammo by mistake with BR2'S instead of muroms so I thought I'd just use them up rather than pull them..

Both loads were identical bar the primers...

The BR2 load averaged about 25fps faster than the muroms.

My final thought here was the primer pocket already loosened from use?

i quit loading brass at 10 shots OR when the primer seating feel is loose enough to notice. i had one live primer fall from a loaded round at the 10th and final loading. All that lot went in the scrap bucket for later sale as scrap. And as i see above the change in primer all other things being the same can raise velocity and via pressure and exactly how much will the other primer change things? Lyman i seem to recall published pressure data once for common primers. Shocking the amount of pressure difference between the makers.

• 3 weeks later...

Update after securing some Murom KVB223M primers. 

They work a charm. I have increased muzzle velocity by 12fps and reduced SD. Groups are identical. A 10 shot group on a shoot and see. I wanted to get some heat into the rifle. 

Everything else has stayed the same 37.5gr N150 and a 130gr Hornady ELD-M. 

666571F9-AEC4-46E9-B79B-E91D4C5FD748.thumb.jpeg.ad76ce0e6d54fba735e77512804cca7b.jpeg

D194483B-464A-4954-BA42-588E8FFBF28B.jpeg

D4B40F61-064C-4268-BF0F-36877A18D14D.jpeg

Nice. Yeah I experienced the same. Same charge, same POI but my ES/SD numbers fell dramatically with Muroms. The CCI450s were total crap, like ES around 45fps and SD around the 20s. With Muroms my ES/SD are now single digits. 

On 7/24/2020 at 5:55 PM, n8ess said:

Interesting, I may try a similar N150 load in my Blaser? Where did you go for the Murom KVB223M primers?

Sorry for the delay I missed your reply having been at Eskdalemuir at the weekend.  I was very lucky that a local chap had some he was willing to part with. 

The primers continued to perform.