miss fires

banus02

good evening ,question if i may, reference federal 210 l/r primers. i have used federal primers for 40+ years and never had a problem until this week.i have just opened  opend my last box of 1000 primers which i bought two years ago they are all stored in an air tight wooden box in a locked cupboard .i bought 4000 as the last lot a gun shop had ,they have now closed/bankrupt.any way no problems with the 3000 i have used but of the new 1000 box i have used 25 and had 4 fail to fires! so far no signs of damp ,primers look same as any other primer except instead of being blue inside these are red but are the same batch number as the previous 3000,not sure where to go with this as it makes me think twice before pulling the trigger ! having loaded empty cases with ten of these primers i went up my zeroing field and pointing into my back stop fire all 10 with no problems.so did i just get unlucky a have four duds in my 4000 or should i only load these primers for target practice and buy some more primers for field us.?

The very fact you have asked this question demonstrates you have doubts about whether they will fire in the field. I would not be happy to use them because the last thing you need in the field is doubt, or a click when the deer of a lifetime steps out broadside at 50yds. 

Use them for plinking or range use. It’s not worth the worry factor for the sake of some new primers.

7 hours ago, banus02 said:

good evening ,question if i may, reference federal 210 l/r primers. i have used federal primers for 40+ years and never had a problem until this week.i have just opened  opend my last box of 1000 primers which i bought two years ago they are all stored in an air tight wooden box in a locked cupboard .i bought 4000 as the last lot a gun shop had ,they have now closed/bankrupt.any way no problems with the 3000 i have used but of the new 1000 box i have used 25 and had 4 fail to fires! so far no signs of damp ,primers look same as any other primer except instead of being blue inside these are red but are the same batch number as the previous 3000,not sure where to go with this as it makes me think twice before pulling the trigger ! having loaded empty cases with ten of these primers i went up my zeroing field and pointing into my back stop fire all 10 with no problems.so did i just get unlucky a have four duds in my 4000 or should i only load these primers for target practice and buy some more primers for field us.?

All the 210M primers I have used are red inside,  Is it possible the shoulder was set back a bit far? I last bought fed210M primers in 2009 and zero issues with duds unless I set the shoulder a bit more than I should. Perhaps contact Federal? 

good morning and thank you for your replies, i have checked my reloading notes and as you thought i have bumped shoulder back as the cases were tight in the chamber <sako brass> and having used a magnifying glass i can see that although at a casual glance the primer strike looked normal it is in fact slightly shallower and this has caused my miss fires. < i hope>job for today pull the bullets etc from the loaded sako cases and run back through the resize die with the die backed back slightly until the case is just a snug fit in the chamber..many thanks for your advice. some times the simple mistakes catch me out!