Fox callers, what's the current favourite?

Paul Cat

I think it was here that my first post asked about the disposal of fox carcasses and saw me accused of being an 'anti' so let's see if I can stir you all up again. 😁

While I've taken one or two foxes over the last couple of years those have been targets of opportunity and not what I was out after. I actually quite like foxes but the owner of one permission who only a few months ago told me they weren't a problem (ewes are sent to a barn for lambing) now wants some dealt with as they're decimating the village's chickens. I have no problem with that but as I'm Nobby Nomates and always shoot alone I thought I'd buy a bit of help in the form of a caller.

Should it be the Fox Pro, a bit of polystyrene and glass, a captive rabbit with nipple clamps or something else?

30 minutes ago, Paul Cat said:

Should it be the Fox Pro, a bit of polystyrene and glass, a captive rabbit with nipple clamps or something else?

defo a rabbit in nipple clamps but with a goose feather up it's jacksy 

The foxes will come to where the food is, by the sound of it, the village chicken pens. if you can find a place with a safe backstop (a high seat near the perimeter fence for example) and you can see reasonably far (say out to 3 or 400M) you will be able to spot them coming in with a thermal. A .22-250 is a good cal for foxes, fast, flatshooting and deadly out to 200M. Ranging at night is not easy so the flat trajectory/point and shoot works well.

Working out their routes to the sheds will help. Foxes are habitual so sitting out with the thermal/NV spotter and understanding where the wind is coming from will also aid in your quest. As far as callers go., the modern electronic types (Icotec for example) are good and do a far better job of emulating a chicken in distress than I can. The cubs are above ground now but won't be far from the den. The adults are out hunting and bringing food back. In a few weeks the adults will be taking the young out to their feeding sites. By the end of August into September the cubs will be out foraging alone and they are 'easier' to entice.

If you set up near the sheds around an hour before dusk(ish) and you should see them, distressed rabbit/mouse calls (squeakers and/or the polystyrene/mirror will work) as the vixens are out hunting to feed the cubs who have been sleeping most of the day. Shoot a few rabbits and bait for a few days.

9 hours ago, Paul Cat said:

A goose feather?

What do you think I am, some kind of weirdo?

🤣

19 hours ago, miki said:

...good info...

Thanks miki. Had a chat with the landowner today and it seems they are in and around the main yard (middle of the village) and another, remote one used for storing machinery. Meeting up for a look round in a day or so but from the sound of it there'll be little long range shooting unless I wait for them out in the fields, not sure letting off either the 243 or 308 while the burghers of the town are asleep will win me any friends so for that one I'll have to plan something. Finding their routes might be favourite.

Thanks Barrelsniffer, I was about to pose the question 'Fox Pro or ICOtech?' following a fairly successful night last night with a bag of five foxes.

Yomping round the fields on foot on the offchance of seeing something is pretty inefficient though and if I'm going to be doing it regularly I'd rather laager up and draw them in from afar to a point where I've got a clear shot. Might start with squeakers and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:37 AM, Ratdog said:

I've got reed types and they work for cold calling but usually just use my hand if I have one in sight.

A rimfire is ample for "town" work. Center mass.

Following your suggestion I tried a reed type and having used it for only this evening I'm really surprised at the results. The first one came in within (and I'm not exaggerating here) a minute which I thought was a fluke but at another spot a similar thing happened (two minutes). The third one was a youngster who seemed more confused than anything but it was enough to hold him still for as long as I needed.

There would have been a fourth who barked every time I blew but he was on the other side of a small river in long grass and couldn't cross over. I could tell pretty much where he was but couldn't see him so, no shot. We were going back and forth "Squeeeeek...bark!...squeeeek...bark!" for about ten minutes until I blew a bum note and he rumbled me.

I was planning to use the .17 but that started acting up while I was target bashing earlier in the day (I think the moderator has had it) but fortunately I'd taken the .243 to check the zero so used that. On the grounds of noise and cost though I may give the .17 a try, providing I can get it (or me) to shoot straight.