UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
Tubs

Hornady 6mm Arc

Does anyone know if this caliber will make it into the Shops in the uk, it’s a hot topic on YouTube and the Americans , I’ve heard it’s now saami spec , just wondering if it’s going to be much different from the 6mm br any better or worse, or just another caliber for the Americans to play with.

Doubt there will be any significant market here in the UK.

Tbh, unless you’re running an AR15 and want something with more punch/distance than the standard 5.56/223, want better ballistics than the 6.8 and don’t want to go up to the big brother AR10 in 7.62/308, then I can’t see the value of the 6mmARC (or is that Robert Whitley’s 6mmAR...which Hornady essentially nicked).

With an AR15, all you need is a Grendel sized bolt, use AR15 Grendel mags and 6mmARC barrel.

However in a bolt gun, why bother? You‘ll need to source the smaller (and non common) PPC bolt, something that’s not a common component or even an option for most action manufacturers.

Just shoot the 6mmBR, 6x47, 6Dasher etc...

Its an AR15 cartridge, I've ran one, and built several for many years. Its the 6mmAR with its shoulders bumped back a gnats.

Its a very good cartridge, and a game changer in an AR. I could have sold a lot more had the dies been accessible. The ARC will sell.

Bolt gun ? nah....its a ppc.

Ok thanks  just thought it might be worth a look but only really in a bolt action.

Yeah, don’t bother. The hassle and cost will far outweigh anything positive about the cartridge.

As Baldie and I said, either get yourself a 6PPC (probably most accurate cartridge ever but beware, can be a pain in the butt to get shooting...very finicky by all accounts) or simply use the 6mmBR, an option for any rifle with a  .308w sized bolt head. There is almost nothing in it between all these cartridges. But as the 6mmBR is such a proven winner...and will be infinitely cheaper to get setup than going the totally custom route of 6mmARC...that to me is the no-brainer option.

40 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Yeah, don’t bother. The hassle and cost will far outweigh anything positive about the cartridge.

As Baldie and I said, either get yourself a 6PPC (probably most accurate cartridge ever but beware, can be a pain in the butt to get shooting...very finicky by all accounts) or simply use the 6mmBR, an option for any rifle with a  .308w sized bolt head. There is almost nothing in it between all these cartridges. But as the 6mmBR is such a proven winner...and will be infinitely cheaper to get setup than going the totally custom route of 6mmARC...that to me is the no-brainer option.

I would agree - go for the 6BR BUT - re the 6PPC - once you've done with the case-forming, neck-turning etc if you use a 1 in 14 twist barrel and FB bullets in the 68gn range and Vit 133 powder it's probably one of the easiest cartridges to tune.  You will struggle to shoot 5-shot groups bigger than a half MOA at 100 yards - that's why it's ruled the benchrest competition circuit for decades and holds all the accuracy records out to 300 yds.

However if you're not shooting competitive benchrest and you want a little 'six' - stick with the 6BR - the everyman's version. It still holds the UK record for a 5-shot group at 1000 yards.

Thanks for the clarity on the 6PPC Vince.👍

Never having owned one, I couldn’t say for sure, but my comments were based on what I’ve read in various places over the years. Always learning!

7 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Thanks for the clarity on the 6PPC Vince.👍

Never having owned one, I couldn’t say for sure, but my comments were based on what I’ve read in various places over the years. Always learning!

I would say that almost every competitive 6PPC benchrest shooter on the planet is using something between 28.5 and 29.5 grains of Vit 133 behind a 66 - 68gn FB bullet. It just works.

I would be interested if available as a .22ARC which would be much the same as the 224 Grendel wildcat and that looks like it will perform well?

Steve

IMO its just another whiz bang wonder cartridge that has some promise IF you shoot the AR. If not why bother? The uses are rather specialized and data hahah haven't seen much ( haven't looked often either). With that said I hope thousands are sold says the capitalist in me. I seem to recall some AR in .243 win, far more useful imo.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:11 PM, The Gun Pimp said:

I would say that almost every competitive 6PPC benchrest shooter on the planet is using something between 28.5 and 29.5 grains of Vit 133 behind a 66 - 68gn FB bullet. It just works.

Ah yes reality shooters share info and not much new in 6 PPC world is there?

Probable safer to go 6br , theres countless people own this caliber because of soo many good features about it . Altho a 6ppc will outshoot it under 300, above  its 6br territory  . They both hold world records . The 6br firing a 105 can be very accurate out to 6-7 plus - ask the crows iv shot lol.