Bullet choice for PRS

I am keen to get into PRS and have a few rifles that I could use to compete chambered in .308win, .260rem and 300WSM.

I'm leaning towards the 300WSM due to a wide range of bullet choices and the fact that the rifle (a T3X Varmint) is sat in a MDT HS3 chassis which is both accurate and ergonomically excellent.

My first question is: Can you use expanding ammunition in the competitions/ranges?

I currently load a Nosler 210gr ABLR a the rifle is used predominantly for culling fallow deer in the open and reds on the hill and I'd like, if possible to stick to one load for both PRS and Stalking.

Secondly: what is the sweet spot in trade off between BC and velocity. I'm using such a heavy load to help mitigate user error factor in wind calls. The 210gr ABLR has an excellent stated BC although I using Litz figure for BC in my calculations, it's still good but the trade off is that I'm achieving 2850fps which is ok but I get the feeling it is sub-optimal cartridge bullet combination.

I'd really appreciate feed back on the above from users of the 300WSM as well as users of 6.5mm rounds be it 260rem 6.5cm etc.

Thanks in advance,

James 

Possibly have the wrong calibre - unless it’s a “creed” it won’t be any use ...... apparently 😃

If you can handle the Winnie recoil and remain on target then use that 

260 is suitable , as is the 308

Id choose whichever you are most comfortable with and shoot best with and enter some comps 

enjoy 

As above, shoot what you're comfortable with.

Personally, if all else was equal, I'd use the 260Rem (being able to see your own hits/misses is a crucial part of PRL and I think recoil will be easier to manage with it than 300WSM.)

As for 6.5mm bullet choice...

123Scenars are not to be underestimated in the speed/BC equation, though most shooters are favouring the >140gr offerings (including the new A-Tip, if your wallet and twist-rate can handle it.) Low recoil and quite cheap if bought "repackaged" in bags.

The Berger hybrids reportedly work well but are more costly.

I have been happy using the 130TMK but I'm using 6.5x47Lapua so slightly less in the engine room than 260Rem and Creed. 

I have rifles in 7WSM and 284Win but they are better suited to ELR than PRL in my view.

The organisers don't like steel or tungsten penetrator tipped bullets (milsurp) and maybe monolithics? Check the rules or wait for someone more au fait with them to chime in.

Until you've shot a few comps or training/taster days don't spend a fortune on new guns and kit. I used my 308Win deer rifle and 5rnd mags for many RRCs (before UK PRL) and did not feel the rifle was holding me back at that stage. 

I'd recommend the 260 for PRS.  The recoil is manageable for the less stable positions, to see your bullet splash, and the bullets are cheaper than .30 caliber.

IDK about the UK PRS, but in the US, you can easily expend well over a 1000 rounds a year, so lower cost in bullets, powder, etc adds up.  I'd also be opting for 130-140 gr bullets as a decent compromise between BC and weight/velocity to be in the sweet spot for typical PRS engagement ranges (400-600yds), with the legs to reach out to those longer engagement stages (800-1200 yds) when needed.

There's a reason 6.5mm and 6mm cartridges dominate PRS....

Thanks to all for your replies.

After some thought, and realising I cannot get a stock with bottom metal for a mag on my .260, I will be putting in for a 6mm. I love my .260 as a deer rifle and don't want to chop it in. I also don't really want two 6.5s.  Not sure yet on 6CM or 6XC. Ballistically almost identical but availability of brass etc will factor.

If I'm looking at the 103-115gr bullets I assume I'll need a 1-7.5 twist as a minimum.

Just getting a quote for a re-barrel, blueprint and new stock on my Rem700 VS .308 . I have also looked at The Savage Model 10 Evolution which I can get via Edgar Bros in a factory left hand 6mm CM. Other factory rifles to consider are Tikka TAC A1 LH but only 6.5CM. 

Am I missing any decent and suitable factory rifles available LH?

I understand most offerings will only be in .243win which won't be ideal due to twist rate.

Thanks again,

James 

6 hours ago, Biathlonjimmy said:

Thanks to all for your replies.

After some thought, and realising I cannot get a stock with bottom metal for a mag on my .260, I will be putting in for a 6mm. I love my .260 as a deer rifle and don't want to chop it in. I also don't really want two 6.5s.  Not sure yet on 6CM or 6XC. Ballistically almost identical but availability of brass etc will factor.

If I'm looking at the 103-115gr bullets I assume I'll need a 1-7.5 twist as a minimum.

Just getting a quote for a re-barrel, blueprint and new stock on my Rem700 VS .308 . I have also looked at The Savage Model 10 Evolution which I can get via Edgar Bros in a factory left hand 6mm CM. Other factory rifles to consider are Tikka TAC A1 LH but only 6.5CM. 

Am I missing any decent and suitable factory rifles available LH?

I understand most offerings will only be in .243win which won't be ideal due to twist rate.

Thanks again,

James 

If cost isn't a huge factor you can re-barrel any 243 with whatever twist rate suits your need. I think a factory 6 CM would be a great choice in a suitable rifle.