Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
KABOOM

Odd Thoughts

Recommended Posts

After reading and thinking I wonder, when you get the permissions to own a rifle is there any rhyme reason or whim to what calibre you may own?

IMO I have doubts any logic is involved. Just my observation. Im blessed to have pretty much whatever I can afford and that includes full auto if I pay the fee and do the paperwork.

Same with moderators. Some things I simply don't want others I cant find a niche for the item in question. If I didn't interpet my reading correctly please enlighten me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Government minions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The calibres you (we) are granted permission to acquire depend on a few factors.

  1. Your request to possess it.
  2. Why you want it.
  3. Your access to somewhere to actually shoot the calibre in question for that reason.
  4. Finally your previous shooting experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KABOOM said:

After reading and thinking I wonder, when you get the permissions to own a rifle is there any rhyme reason or whim to what calibre you may own?

IMO I have doubts any logic is involved. Just my observation. Im blessed to have pretty much whatever I can afford and that includes full auto if I pay the fee and do the paperwork.

Same with moderators. Some things I simply don't want others I cant find a niche for the item in question. If I didn't interpet my reading correctly please enlighten me.

My personal take on this is the (wrong) believe in the minds of law makers/advisors that calibre and power are synonymous. It's a simplistic equation much beloved of politicians.  As well, we have calibre restrictions for stalking and vermin control generally a bit more related to real performance - I think that may have a minor feed into the general misunderstanding.   Clearly energy (whether muzzle or some down range standard) is the factor they think they're controlling.

Moderators are readily available now but still need to be applied for and entered onto the Fire Arms Certificate (FAC).  A few years back it would be an argument with the Firearms & Exoplosives Officer (FEO) to get one as there was a mistaken idea that "silencers" were for assassins and secret agents 😁.  A few threats to "take the Chief Constable (Police Chief) to court" over hearing damage seems to have settled the matter in our favour.

Whilst recognising that UK Firearms law is mad as a box of frogs I'm not sure any root and branch review is desirable as it would be an opportunity to tighten the screws more tightly - I much prefer the status-quo  - I understand it, more importantly the FEOs understand how to apply it (sort of😉). 

One last thing, the UK is split into policing regions, it seems too much to ask that every region applies the law as it's written and not to make their own interpretation even given the "Guidance to Police" last issued in 2016 (I think).  Thankfully I live in an 'enlightened' county 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SMLE said:

Government minions?

A some what disparaging term for those "public servants" who seem to work when they wish and make life more problematic by doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, KABOOM said:

A some what disparaging term for those "public servants" who seem to work when they wish and make life more problematic by doing so.

tumblr_ocbmqu5TbN1qcv9zpo2_500.gifv

 

(Apologies Kaboom, it's a meme based on an old UK series called Yes (Prime) Minister)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Paul Cat said:

tumblr_ocbmqu5TbN1qcv9zpo2_500.gifv

 

(Apologies Kaboom, it's a meme based on an old UK series called Yes (Prime) Minister)

No worries here sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy