Tikka T3X Tac/CTR Questions

AnthonyR

On 6/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, AnthonyR said:

Great, thanks for the replies.

The Bifrost stock I have is for a CTR and standard T3 bottom metal won't fit apparently.

I can't find the CTR bottom metal for sale anywhere, there are some options available using AICS mags but that is not really what I am after, I didn't know about the potential trigger issue either.

I have also been reading that quite a few TAC A1 with chrome moly barrels have been having corrosion issues, I spoke to my smith yesterday and he is having one in to rebarrel, it's in 6.5 and has only done 600 odd rounds and is totally buggered.

So as far as i can see there are only 2 real options left, can a standard T3 Stainless Varmint, which are easily available, be modified to use CTR mags and stock assuming you can get the CTR bottom metal that is or I have to wait for the proper CTR. I have quite a lot of work coming up for this rifle in the Autumn and was hoping to have it up and running before then.

Did you ever source some CTR bottom metal?

22 minutes ago, MarinePMI said:

Did you ever source some CTR bottom metal?

I have some on the way but it is not here yet but from what the guy on the previous page says it's not going to work with a standard T3 action.

I have also got some Atlasworx bottom metal and an MDT mag which works fine after a little adjustment of the release lever but sticks out more than I was originally hoping for.

On another point I was going to get the barrel shortened to 18" but I have decided not too as the rifle just shoots too well, I have been getting some fantastic groups with Sako factory ammo so going to leave well alone.

16 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

I have some on the way but it is not here yet but from what the guy on the previous page says it's not going to work with a standard T3 action.

I have also got some Atlasworx bottom metal and an MDT mag which works fine after a little adjustment of the release lever but sticks out more than I was originally hoping for.

If you have the long lever, why not get the replacement lever that follows the trigger guard. you can just replace it once adjusted to the right length.

edi

21 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

To be clear, I don't think it is the action that is different,  it is the stock.  Can you get a CTR stock?  Or have your stock inlet for the slightly larger, deeper bottom metal?

If you were in the states, I'd just send you a stock, as I have two hanging on the wall in the garage/workshop.

FYI: The 5rd AI mags are perfect for hunting, as they sit near flush to most mag wells/bottom metal.

12 hours ago, MarinePMI said:

To be clear, I don't think it is the action that is different,  it is the stock.  Can you get a CTR stock?  Or have your stock inlet for the slightly larger, deeper bottom metal?

If you were in the states, I'd just send you a stock, as I have two hanging on the wall in the garage/workshop.

FYI: The 5rd AI mags are perfect for hunting, as they sit near flush to most mag wells/bottom metal.

My stock is inleted for a CTR already.

We will find out if it fits when the CTR bottom metal turns up, which should be next week.

Thanks for the tip about the 5rd mags, I will look into that if I keep the AICS bottom metal.

The CTR bottom metal turned up today.

Fits perfectly and the original CTR mag works as it should, so it turns out there is a lot of duff info about this on the net.

Just to confirm for people that read this thread in the future, I have a Super Varmint action T3X in 223, a GRS Bifrost stock inleted for a T3 CTR and an original CTR mag and everything works as it should with no fettling required.

As a bonus the MDT polymer 10 round 223 mag also works as well, a little bit tight to release but works just fine.

5 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

Fits perfectly and the original CTR mag works as it should, so it turns out there is a lot of duff info about this on the net.

Well done Anthony you must have a good one. The problems are real just not every rifle and more to do with the .223 CTR mags.

It helps knowing the MDT mags fit thank you.

Steve