Tikka T3X Tac/CTR Questions

AnthonyR

I had a Tikka T3X CTR in 223 on order, it was due in soon but I have just been told today that it will not be here until the of Oct at the earliest.

I have already bought a GRS Bifrost stock for a CTR and a spare 10 shot mag, so I am already invested in the CTR system.

There are no 223 CTR available to buy that I can find anywhere.

My dealer has a T3 Tac in 223 in stock, its not stainless that I really wanted but my question is can I just remove the Tac chassis and fit it straight in my Bifrost stock, is the bottom metal the same?

Is the Tac action painted or blued?

Or has anybody else got any better options, would ideally like to end up with an 18" T3 stainless running CTR mags in my Bifrost stock

AFAIK you can use a CTR in a TAC A1 Chassis which sort of suggests your stock might be reverse compatible with a TAC action and mag.  TAC A1 is (black) blued.  I don't know why you would want to ditch the TAC A1 chassis though if it's purely for range work as it's one of the finest factory aluminium chassis stocks on any factory rifle.  These things are tack drivers.  Mine has shot tiny 100yd groups, into the 0.1's.  The Bifrost is a superb stock though and has other advantages such as lighter weight and better ergo imho.  I have another Tikka in a GRS laminate and it's the most comfortable shooting rifle prone that I have owned.  It's an expensive route to go though as TAC A1's are over priced here.  I think that some places State side were advertising Tac A1's for $1400 and that they came with 3 mags compared here with £1700 for a rifle with one mag!

Thanks for the reply.

I have never shot on a rifle range in my life, all my rifles are solely for sporting use, hence my lack of love for the Tac chassis.

I have read online that you can fit a CTR in a TAC chassis but it looks to me like you still need the actual CTR bottom metal to go the other way, would love somebody to confirm this.

Apparently the standard T3 action is slightly different to the CTR one so I am not sure a standard action can be modified to use CTR mags/stocks as this would also be a good solution for me, assuming you can buy the CTR bottom metal that is.

I have a .223 CTR stainless and I think its worth just waiting until October as not that far away really. I don't know why the CTR action wouldn't fit a normal T3X stock using Tikka mags or AI mags with appropriate floor plate. I have had problems with CTR .223 mag and seams to be a common problem, I have read that an MDT mag will fit and going to try one day. Or MDT chassis with MDT/AI mags in preference to Tikka CTR mags. I like the look of TAC1 chassis and I think they would be great on the range but I was put off by the weight and didn't fancy lugging it around. I have 24" barrel and wanted 20" but none were available. Rather than a 10 month wait I bought the 24" with a plan to shorten the barrel. However it shoots so well I dare not hack the barrel and ruin it.   

The footprint is exactly the same.  That being said, the mag latch is part of the stock/ chassis.

The CTR in 223 isn't available (yet) in the US, so am unsure if the CTR mag in 223 has the same location as the 308 CTR Mag.  I would think they would be the same, purely from a manufacturing perspective.

Is the bifrost stock intended for CTR mags, or AICS mags?  To me that would be where I'd start first.

BTW; I have two CTR's currently in my possession as well as a 223 Varmint.  When using AICS pattern mags (all my chassis on all my Tikkas are set up for AICS mags), the stocks/chassis are completely interchangeable.

If you buy any other tikka you will need the ctr bottom metal for your bifrost stock. 

The tac a1 also has the 2 stage trigger which may cause fitting problems as well.

I read on another forum where someone had to alter his krg chassis to make this trigger fit. 

I'm not keen on the chrome moly barrels and If I were you I'd wait on my stainless ctr. 

Great, thanks for the replies.

The Bifrost stock I have is for a CTR and standard T3 bottom metal won't fit apparently.

I can't find the CTR bottom metal for sale anywhere, there are some options available using AICS mags but that is not really what I am after, I didn't know about the potential trigger issue either.

I have also been reading that quite a few TAC A1 with chrome moly barrels have been having corrosion issues, I spoke to my smith yesterday and he is having one in to rebarrel, it's in 6.5 and has only done 600 odd rounds and is totally buggered.

So as far as i can see there are only 2 real options left, can a standard T3 Stainless Varmint, which are easily available, be modified to use CTR mags and stock assuming you can get the CTR bottom metal that is or I have to wait for the proper CTR. I have quite a lot of work coming up for this rifle in the Autumn and was hoping to have it up and running before then.

the ctr has a slot cut in the bottom of the action for the magazine.

I have read that all the tikka t3x rifles have this slot now and if so they will work with the ctr floorplate and mag but you would need to check this first. 

Maybe someone on here could confirm this.

I have a mate with a spare ctr floor plate that he would probably sell as he put his rifle into a krg bravo chassis if you decide to go that route. 

Why not buy a T3 Varmint/Lite etc in 223, get the Atlasworx AICS/CTR floorplate and stick with MDT AICS 223. Flog the CTR mag.

My T3 Lite 223 with Atlasworx, I could just as well put an original CTR mag into the rifle, both have the same footprint.

RMnCvLu.jpg

edi

40 minutes ago, AnthonyR said:

Palo if you could ask your friend if he is willing to sell that would be great.

Yeah he will sell it.

£50 plus postage. Not sure about postage charges as he is in ireland but dont think it would be that much. 

The Tac a1 and the Ctr share the same Mags, so i would have thought you would be fine, however i waited 6 months for my 24" stainless CTR in .223 and i'm chuffed i waited, i already have a Tac a1 in 6.5 Cm about 2 years old and 500 rounds regular cleaning and the barrels pitted and knackered already, no matter what i clean it with it rust like mad, It's new barrel time for me, Bartlein i think next time.

4 hours ago, bobthenailer said:

If you do have a Tic-Tac chassis that’s unwanted at the end... first dibs 😁

You will be out of luck I'm afraid, not going down that route!

Palo, thanks I will send you a PM

Kevgun it might be you that Neil was talking about, it just reinforces the idea that getting a stainless one is the way to go.

I tried my CTR Bifrost stock on a friends standard T3 in 22-250 today, it all fitted together, there was a gap around the edge of the bottom metal which was to be expected and it cycled the rounds perfectly using his mag.

I was in a similar predicament a few months ago. I was after a CTR in 6.5 creed. I didn’t really need the stock as I was planning to put it in a stock I already had. Rang round a few shops and all were saying 6 months wait for a stainless 24”, but I could get a varmint no problem. I thought it over for a week or so, but in the end, I found a t3 action at a bargain price so I’ve had one built instead. It hasn’t cost me much more money than a CTR and if it wasn’t for Covid, would have been here in a fraction of the time. 

Worth considering if your not needing the factory stock and can pick up an action at a decent price

12 hours ago, ejg223 said:

Why not buy a T3 Varmint/Lite etc in 223, get the Atlasworx AICS/CTR floorplate and stick with MDT AICS 223. Flog the CTR mag.

My T3 Lite 223 with Atlasworx, I could just as well put an original CTR mag into the rifle, both have the same footprint.

RMnCvLu.jpg

edi

Thank you Edi for confirming this. Switching from CTR mag  to MDT AICS is the way to go for reliability. Do you know if the mdt mags fit the tikka ctr floorplate or do I need the atlasworx floorplate? 

All the best

Steve

13 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

You will be out of luck I'm afraid, not going down that route!

Palo, thanks I will send you a PM

Kevgun it might be you that Neil was talking about, it just reinforces the idea that getting a stainless one is the way to go.

I tried my CTR Bifrost stock on a friends standard T3 in 22-250 today, it all fitted together, there was a gap around the edge of the bottom metal which was to be expected and it cycled the rounds perfectly using his mag.

Hi Anthony, yes i spoke to Neil and i'm nipping over in the next couple of weeks to have a look at a few different profiles, Yes Stainless is the way to go, i'm thinking a slightly heavier profile. Neil done a Fab job on my .243 Sako. No doubt all my Rifles will end up at Neil's t some point. By the way is the Drone OK Now?

16 hours ago, outlanda said:

Thank you Edi for confirming this. Switching from CTR mag  to MDT AICS is the way to go for reliability. Do you know if the mdt mags fit the tikka ctr floorplate or do I need the atlasworx floorplate? 

All the best

Steve

The Atlasworx fit better, I have run a 308 MDT in a CTR before but it is a tight fit as far as I can remember.

edi

I have just ordered a Super Varmint which will be here next week and I also potentially have 2 floor plates on the way, one CTR and one AICS, going to see which one I prefer and flog the other.

So thanks for the offer but unless my CTR vendor drops out I should be sorted

Thanks for all the help so far, I will report back with how I get on

On 6/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, AnthonyR said:

Great, thanks for the replies.

The Bifrost stock I have is for a CTR and standard T3 bottom metal won't fit apparently.

I can't find the CTR bottom metal for sale anywhere, there are some options available using AICS mags but that is not really what I am after, I didn't know about the potential trigger issue either.

I have also been reading that quite a few TAC A1 with chrome moly barrels have been having corrosion issues, I spoke to my smith yesterday and he is having one in to rebarrel, it's in 6.5 and has only done 600 odd rounds and is totally buggered.

So as far as i can see there are only 2 real options left, can a standard T3 Stainless Varmint, which are easily available, be modified to use CTR mags and stock assuming you can get the CTR bottom metal that is or I have to wait for the proper CTR. I have quite a lot of work coming up for this rifle in the Autumn and was hoping to have it up and running before then.

;)  Edited response...just seen the other thread and some people clearly have been sold sub standard rifles which is very rare for anything with a Tikka badge.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, AnthonyR said:

I have just ordered a Super Varmint which will be here next week and I also potentially have 2 floor plates on the way, one CTR and one AICS, going to see which one I prefer and flog the other.

So thanks for the offer but unless my CTR vendor drops out I should be sorted

Thanks for all the help so far, I will report back with how I get on

I thought you wanted to avoid excess weight?  I have a T3 varmint in 24 inch barrel and I can tell you it's far from a light tube!  I do use mine for stalking but even with a nice light GRS stock, you know you've done some exercise lugging that rifle back to the car whilst also carrying a deer!

36 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

I thought you wanted to avoid excess weight?  I have a T3 varmint in 24 inch barrel and I can tell you it's far from a light tube!  I do use mine for stalking but even with a nice light GRS stock, you know you've done some exercise lugging that rifle back to the car whilst also carrying a deer!

I never mentioned weight at all, the CTR has pretty much the same barrel profile as a Varmint AFAIK

All I said was that it was not a range rifle, it will mostly be either used from a hide or from a vehicle, I have other rifles for carrying about, I am having barrel shortened to 18" as soon as I get it.

• 2 weeks later...