Long range scope

terrierman

Terrier man,

As per Elwood comments - one mans ‘long range’ is another starting point 😀

Budget and distance you are looking to work out to, also what rifle is it going on?

T

Terrier man,

I think one fo the Vortex offerings would do you very well on either of those rifles and to that distance. Example   PST 5-25x         https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vortex-viper-pst-gen-ii-5-25x50-ffp-illuminated-30mm-riflescope-moa

Those that I’ve handled /looked thru’ have been pretty nice. Good controls - which if you’re on a range is essential. That one is 25x, they do a 3-15x in the same range, but me I like some magnification, you can always turn it down 😎

But with any of this best to try and get behind anything you are looking to purchase if you can.

Brgds terry

if you intend to use a rifle for range work avoid the 204 ruger,<I would not use 22/250 either!> buy a 223rem,long barrel life,cheapish ammo,lots of good makers cz,tikka,styre etc etc 1 in 9 twist or faster and as said a vortex or Japanese made zeiss  will work well.good luck with your choice.

I believe he meant for shooting at targets not actual target shooting ie at Bisley .

Reticle  choice would be my main concern, small and uncluttered is good. For pin point accuracy I have used nothing better than the Nightforce NP2DD or the March MTR 2

I have  multiple makes of scope allhigh end and I still really reckon the Sytron they are excellent value for money.

I used mine in the early days at Bisley at 1000yards no problems  and excellent after sales service.

Up to 400yds vermin control I used to like a nice lightweight scope so used a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x 40.  Mine had the BDC ret which was pretty good if not bob-on, you could rely on it to be close enough providing you did a BD test and matched the mag to your bullet drop or as near as it got.  I only replaced that when I started shooting further out at paper and sat a Nightforce NSX on it.  Sightron are ok but I once compared one with my own Bushnell DMR to see what all the fuss was about and was left very underwhelmed by the optics.  It was ok if you just used the centre picture to punch paper but what target shooters like wont necessarily suit vermin shooters.  I prefer something with lens coatings making browns stand out with greater contrast than a target scope typically uses.  The VX3 uses such lens coatings as does the Nighforce I have.  The DMR betters both the Leupold and sightrons for the glass imho but is quite heavy.  A good used vortex viper Gen 2 4-16 x 50 would be a good choice or if feeling flush a S&B PMII 4-16 x 50.

Id try to look for something similar to what i managed to get ( i prefer nightforce ) a chap on here was selling a new 8-32 x56 zero stop / high speed turret , it was a replacement under warranty but they no longer made the 42x which he wanted , i got it for 1500 but it retail at 2300 from shops . A great scope at really great price . I do own a 5.5-22x56 a 2008 nsx  too . They used to be the go to extreme scope manufacturer years ago but today theres many top manufacturer to choose - its a nice decision to make no ? Learn / study - choose;)

I would always go down the Schmidt & Bender PM11, 4-16x50 for general PRS/casual targets/hunting, if you want something more dedicated to target shooting the 3-20X50 or the 5-25x56 would both be excellent choices, especially if you decide you want to go for longer range with a larger calibre in the future. Equally the build quality on Schmidt & Benders is excellent and there is a reason the military has used them for years (bombproof and reliable).

To me, buy once and save the hassle of things going wrong...

Just my thoughts.

Ben

-hi,  thanks for all the suggestions.   I thought there would be a few different answers.  I have vortex and S&B on my other rifles but just thought i'd treat myself to a nice long range varminting setup so I didn't want to rush into itand make sure I got the right scope for the job.   my eyesight is not so good and I do prefer and shoot well with high mag scopes.     

S&B - 5-25x56   0r 12-50x56    ???

sightron    -8-32x56  or 10-60x60   ???

nightforce look good also...….

mmmmm…  still can't decide....

Don't discount the Delta Optics scopes......from Optics Warehouse.

All good glass and depends on your budget. I have couple of the Deltas and really rate both of them......one is the Titanium 4.5-30x50 (about £790) and this has the simplest fine reticle which I use for general hunting and foxing (works great with add-on NV) but also can be used at extended distances.

I also have the Stryker 5-50x56 (about £1600) which also has a very fine reticle. They both have illuminated reticles and solid turrets which track really accurately.

I have had (and still own) some premium European glass, and to my eyes there is very little to choose from in terms of quality. I would suggest you try to get a look through whatever you intend to purchase beforehand, as the reticle is very important to your enjoyment and I love the reticles on the Deltas.

Regards, Rob.   

3 hours ago, terrierman said:

-hi,  thanks for all the suggestions.   I thought there would be a few different answers.  I have vortex and S&B on my other rifles but just thought i'd treat myself to a nice long range varminting setup so I didn't want to rush into itand make sure I got the right scope for the job.   my eyesight is not so good and I do prefer and shoot well with high mag scopes.     

S&B - 5-25x56   0r 12-50x56    ???

sightron    -8-32x56  or 10-60x60   ???

nightforce look good also...….

mmmmm…  still can't decide....

The vortex golden eagle is very good. Goes up to 60 mag if you want. I've never used it more than 40 mag though. I have 2 of the 32 mag sightrons. One illuminated and one non illuminated. IMO there great 👍

On 6/13/2020 at 8:21 PM, banus02 said:

if you intend to use a rifle for range work avoid the 204 ruger,<I would not use 22/250 either!> buy a 223rem,long barrel life,cheapish ammo,lots of good makers cz,tikka,styre etc etc 1 in 9 twist or faster and as said a vortex or Japanese made zeiss  will work well.good luck with your choice.

I have T3 Sporter with 1/8 twist and it's an excellent shooter,  0.5" groups at 100yards that's with Geco ammo. I'm super chuffed with it. 

I did have the pst Gen 2 on there but swapped scopes and it now has a Falcon X50. 

👍