60 gr TMK and longer range .223 Rem target loads

Hi folks,

With Chobham ridge opening up I'm wondering about trying a load out for longer ranges with the .223 Rem

I have a 1:9 twist CZ527.

For factory ammo it really likes the 62gr Federal Fusion. I've been getting progress with 65gr Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boat Tail (SBT) and a healthy load of Ramshot TAC.

For longer range work, I'm wondering about the 60gr TMK, also over a healthy dose of Ramshot TAC.

Anyone tried a similar load? Any experience of any other bullets worth trying?

Thanks in advance.

Scrummy

• 1 month later...

Forget accuracy out past 600 using 60gr....just not enough bullet nor oomph. You'll get the odd hit but it'll be blown all over the place.  69gr at 700yds was marginal when I tried them and that, for accuracy, was the extreme extent of it's range if by accurate you mean 2moa!   77gr TMKs much better if driven hard at 2800fps and they were a good 850yd bullet.  60gr should be fine to 500yds but velocity is starting to drop off very rapidly from them by then.  N133 works well with 60gr at 22.6 to 23.2gr in my rifle.  RS50 is very good for the 77's but your 1/9 might struggle to stabilise anything much over 69.

I have a CZ527 in a formrifle stock. Once run in, I started using 69gr TMKs but found them very sensitive to load. After some development I settled on 22gr RS40 which has been producing very acceptable groups at 600metres. (Rogiet Moor before all the piss arsing about with Landmarc). I was unsure of how it would be at 600, but the reality is that it was superb. Last time I fired it was at G range (Sennybridge) where is was too accurate and was therefore discarded in favour of my No4 with iron sights that could never be described as too accurate 😂 The loads were in federal cases with Sellier and Belliot primers which produced an MV of 2734fps. 

I’m so looking forward to some long range (1000+) - my Sabatti .300 win mag is currently at HPS having a Formrifle stock fitted. 

There seems no light on the horizon with ODRC 😢

• 7 months later...
On 8/11/2020 at 5:07 AM, VarmLR said:

Forget accuracy out past 600 using 60gr....just not enough bullet nor oomph. You'll get the odd hit but it'll be blown all over the place.  69gr at 700yds was marginal when I tried them and that, for accuracy, was the extreme extent of it's range if by accurate you mean 2moa!   77gr TMKs much better if driven hard at 2800fps and they were a good 850yd bullet.  60gr should be fine to 500yds but velocity is starting to drop off very rapidly from them by then.  N133 works well with 60gr at 22.6 to 23.2gr in my rifle.  RS50 is very good for the 77's but your 1/9 might struggle to stabilise anything much over 69.

I understand that, but with a 1:9 I think much longer won't stabilise. And I have other toys for shooting further than 600.

Scrummy

On 8/14/2020 at 7:36 AM, Ralpharama said:

I have a CZ527 in a formrifle stock. Once run in, I started using 69gr TMKs but found them very sensitive to load. After some development I settled on 22gr RS40 which has been producing very acceptable groups at 600metres. (Rogiet Moor before all the piss arsing about with Landmarc). I was unsure of how it would be at 600, but the reality is that it was superb. Last time I fired it was at G range (Sennybridge) where is was too accurate and was therefore discarded in favour of my No4 with iron sights that could never be described as too accurate 😂 The loads were in federal cases with Sellier and Belliot primers which produced an MV of 2734fps. 

I’m so looking forward to some long range (1000+) - my Sabatti .300 win mag is currently at HPS having a Formrifle stock fitted. 

There seems no light on the horizon with ODRC 😢

I was going to say for 69gr TMKs probably needs to be going fairly quickly to get them to stabilise, quite long bullets.

How do you find RS40? I've had good luck with RS70 in other things and seems to be quality powder.

15 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

I was going to say for 69gr TMKs probably needs to be going fairly quickly to get them to stabilise, quite long bullets.

How do you find RS40? I've had good luck with RS70 in other things and seems to be quality powder.

I rate RS powders very highly and use them for all my rifles. The TMKs were very sensitive to load. I use RS70 in my .300WinMag ; it works very well.

• 3 weeks later...

RS 52 with 80grain SMK out of an 8 twist 30" barrel does 600 and even 1000yds for me....

Pete

10 hours ago, One on top of two said:

You want RS52 for the .223 👍

I initially used RS52 with my .223, but then realised that RS powders recommend RS40, a faster burning powder, which I now use with 69gr TMKs. I've found they work very well at 600 metres.

• 1 month later...

I tried the TMK 69 grain a and RS52 couple of years ago in my Tikka T3X  super varmint but just could not get it to perform how I hoped . don't get me wrong it was ok out to 300m . 

I then switched over to 73 grain ELD-m ( also with RS52 ) which was a bit of a game changer  performed very well out to 600m , but was HOT and barrel  burnt out in 2750 rounds . 

just recently decided to use the action as a donor , rifle went off to Dolphin for a bit of Mik magic , rifle now has a 22' Bartlein stainless varmint barrel with 1-7 twist throated for 77/80 grn  Berger. Also some bolt fettling and fluting , bedded and a Bit n Andy trigger .

I now get a very nice node at  2750 fps  with Berger 77 target BT ( PN 22425 )  using RS50.

the most accurate loads in my standard T3X  super varmint was with Nosler BT  60 grain .  upto  400m they would do everything I asked of them on Fur / steel / paper .

110 yards with wobbly trigger sticks . Had to do the last of five shots to the left just to make sure I was hitting the plate as didn’t hear a ping just a whoosh into the backstop . Got a hardox plate from Tom’s targets now so hopefully no more holes lol . Next shoot at catterick July 3 so might get a bit further and take the chrono too . 
15 mm group for 4 shots 

43 minutes ago, Richiew said:

110 yards with wobbly trigger sticks . Had to do the last of five shots to the left just to make sure I was hitting the plate as didn’t hear a ping just a whoosh into the backstop . Got a hardox plate from Tom’s targets now so hopefully no more holes lol . Next shoot at catterick July 3 so might get a bit further and take the chrono too . 
15 mm group for 4 shots 

That will do nicely !