Hunting round trials on a fine day: Sierra 55smk #1390 and Hornay 140gr 6.5mm SST

VarmLR

I thought I'd try some #1390's  these to compare them with their 55gr soft point boat tails I normally use for deer as well as a new and slightly hotter 6.5 load for my 140gr SSTs in 6.5CM.

For load development I'd been loading the 223 rounds singly and found a good accuracy node at 23.6gr N130.  Out in the field today I put up a small gong at 216 yds and found that magazine loading these in my 527 doesn't work!  The big open HP design snags on the ramp and if forced chews a lump out so it looks like I have over 100 of these to single feed when hunting!  I'm unsure if they were a wise choice for munty but we'll find out.  They put up about a 1.2 inch group at 216 yds which I was pretty happy with at 0.57moa in field conditions.

The Creedmoor fared even better with under a one inch 5 shot group at the same distance.  I'd zero'd a new load for those at 100 yds and taking care they produced a 0.25 inch ragged hole. Superb accuracy (43.6gr RS62).