Sellers sending bought items

Bob57

Do Not use Hermes, some bullets I bought off a forum member at the beginning of may have not been delivered to my address and after calling Hermes and waiting 25mins for someone to speak to, finally getting through, I was told it had not left their depot and would be investigated as to where it is, and was promised an email within 5 days to let me know about the parcel, almost another week later and no email has arrived, same as parcel.

Another phone call to Hermes, on hold  for 15mins and gave up, I've better things to do than waste my life hanging on the telephone to a useless bloody delivery company that hasn't the decency to fulfill their promised email to me.

And for anyone paying for goods, don't pay by bank transfer like I stupidly did, I was given a Hermes tracking number, and have been offered a refund by the seller, but I'm not prepared to hand over my bank details for the sake of £45.

So be warned do not use Hermes they are cheap, and don't give a toss about their customers.

I used to use Hermes every time until a delivery of Lapua cases went almost pear shaped. They left a text message to say it had been delivered but no sign of it. After checking with all my neighbours I saw it on my doorstep, out of view from the house, but clear to anyone approaching the house.

Stopped using them for a while until I received other deliveries from eBay sellers that were trouble free. I recently sent an item to a guy on here via Hermes and it was easy peasy compared to trying to use RM or Parcelforce.

I am still waiting for a parcel from Germany through DPD after months so not impressed with them.

UPS have been very good through the lockdown and deliveries from Yodel have been good but I’ve not tried sending through them.

I've had countless parcels delivered, DPD every time - you get to know when they are coming to the hour.  Never been let down.  If you want bad - Yodel takes the cup

Just a quick funny about DPD.......

I ordered a new Bratton Sound firearms cabinet, one of the monsters they do for muzzle loading rifles.

On the day of delivery, I answered a knock on the door and there stood the DPD driver asking me where I wanted my parcel put as it was a bit big. The door to the van was already open. I told him I’d come out and give him some help carrying it in.

”That’s ok, I’ll manage” he said.

Now the driver was a big bloke but I nearly fell over when he picked the cabinet up off the floor of the van, carried it across my driveway, climbed up two steps and placed it gently in my hall. He then told me they had use a FLT to load the cabinet into the van.

For those who don’t know how big or heavy these cabinets are, it is taller than my petite wife and it took three of us to get it up my stairs and into the room I located it in.

Never had a problem with hermes , but Parcel Force are a joke beyond belief , impossible to speak to a human and the automated redelivery service ( required as they tried to deliver 4 hours before the notified time) is little more than a random number generator totally unconnected to any part of their delivery system. 

Hermes lost £80's worth of stuff that I'd sold on Ebay..............vintage radio valves. Despite my accurate description of contents, and delivering three packs of these without a problem, when I tried to claim, they said "we don't deliver anything with glass, it's a restricted item"................wouldn't use them again.

I take anything I'm sending to the local Uni branch of the Post Office now, 2nd class recorded delivery, or special deliv if it's expensive..............never let me down yet. ( hope that doesn't turn out to be "Famous last words......)

Pete

2 hours ago, Kron said:

Can I ask why you mention not to use bank transfer as a form of payment? I've used it several times both to send and receive payment and thought it to be a secure method? 

K

Bank transfer might be fairly secure, but if you don't get delivered what you've paid for, do you really want to give your bank details to a someone you don't have a clue about for a refund, I don't and won't, mabey I'm just being over cautious now, but the last person on this forum who sent me pulled bullets with crimp marks and buckled necked down cases didn't refund me a small amount that HE insisted I have, then never sent!! WTF was that about.

PayPal has surely got to be best, as you don't need to give your bank details to someone who could be a scammer, not that I'm implying that this person is as he provided tracking number and has offered a refund, I'm more pi@#ed off with Hermes for still not replying back to me when promised 😤, and we always get a txt from Hermes to say our parcel has been delivered, quite often to no parcel that's been dropped off at our house, drive 1/2 mile up our track to find it chucked in the grass, to@#ers.

So in future anyone selling something on this forum that i want, won't be getting any of more of my hard earned.

3 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I've had countless parcels delivered, DPD every time - you get to know when they are coming to the hour.  Never been let down.  If you want bad - Yodel takes the cup

DPD used to be diabolical with us but seem to have got their act together lately, just need to find out who delivered a parcel Friday afternoon that was definitely checked out to see contents, box was open a bit and the  strong woven bag inside had been cut to see what was Inside, amazingly the lead weights were all still there.

39 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Hermes lost £80's worth of stuff that I'd sold on Ebay..............vintage radio valves. Despite my accurate description of contents, and delivering three packs of these without a problem, when I tried to claim, they said "we don't deliver anything with glass, it's a restricted item"................wouldn't use them again.

I take anything I'm sending to the local Uni branch of the Post Office now, 2nd class recorded delivery, or special deliv if it's expensive..............never let me down yet. ( hope that doesn't turn out to be "Famous last words......)

Pete

Sounds about right with Hermes pete.

Same here with post office, mostly 1st class signed for, never been let down.

The problem with using the Post Office or Parcel Force is the size limit. I need to send and item that’s 90 cm long so that rules them out.

I never ever use Hermes...utter crap service most of the time with them.  When I used to accept deliveries,  you had to toss a coin to guess what day or week the thing would arrive, then toss another one to see if it was still in one piece.  When a consignment a few years ago was a month late, I called their CEO's office to lodge a complaint at the top after being rubbed off at every other channel and the boss just spouted how much they valued my business etc etc and did nothing about the lost item.  It did eventually turn up, packaging damaged from memory.   Not with a bargepole would I trust them with anything again.

I never buy off anyone who insists on using them.

For business, I use UPS or DPD every time.  Never had anything missing, come later than promised or damaged (as long as packing was good).

I never use Parcelforce48 now either.  They tend to offer similar levels of customer service as Hermes, charge ten time the amount and for good measure every now and then the item gets a good bashing.  hy anyone uses them when it's cheaper quite often to use DPD beats me.

1 hour ago, Brillo said:

The problem with using the Post Office or Parcel Force is the size limit. I need to send and item that’s 90 cm long so that rules them out.

Strange, I sent a parcel at the post office a few years ago which was was 1504 long and the lady behind the counter said sorry it's 1500 max😕 so I stood it on end and pushed down on it and said there you go now its 1498mm😀, to her reply "oh well what's a few mm amongst friends"as she took it in.

Interesting reading - I wonder if there are some geographical variables involved in people’s experiences.

I think most, if not all, courier/delivery services have poor customer service - likely because they don’t believe in the importance of it because the market for cheap shipping is fierce and there’s a necessity to the service itself, not necessarily the process.

I used MyHermes a lot in the past before I did have a package go missing a few years ago, so didn’t use them for a while. Then necessity forced my hand and tried MyHermes again. They’ve been fine for me for the last year or so.

RoyalMail isn’t cheap but is ok. Agreed parcelforce isn’t great.

Ive had mixed results with DPD, fine for U.K. stuff but several items coming from Germany, Austria and Holland were very delayed and the tracking seemed to be completely up the spout. 

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Strange, I sent a parcel at the post office a few years ago which was was 1504 long and the lady behind the counter said sorry it's 1500 max😕 so I stood it on end and pushed down on it and said there you go now its 1498mm😀, to her reply "oh well what's a few mm amongst friends"as she took it in.

Odd indeed. When I went the Royal Mail website, because of the item’s size/wt, it automatically redirected me to ParcelForce, which then stipulated that the item had to be below 600 mm (or 500, I can’t remember).

Edit,

Now, there is some bizarre going on with Royal Mail. Due to the information in Bob57s post I decided to send a self same virtual parcel via the Royal Mail App and it accepted all the dimensions I entered. OK, it would’ve been considerably more expensive but at the tracking would’ve been easy for the buyer. Hermes tracking is abysmal in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Brillo said:

Odd indeed. When I went the Royal Mail website, because of the item’s size/wt, it automatically redirected me to ParcelForce, which then stipulated that the item had to be below 600 mm (or 500, I can’t remember).

Edit,

Now, there is some bizarre going on with Royal Mail. Due to the information in Bob57s post I decided to send a self same virtual parcel via the Royal Mail App and it accepted all the dimensions I entered. OK, it would’ve been considerably more expensive but at the tracking would’ve been easy for the buyer. Hermes tracking is abysmal in my opinion.

Yep my parcel wasn't cheap £9 odd if if remember correctly, but it got there next day no problem which was the important bit.

On 6/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bob57 said:

Bank transfer might be fairly secure, but if you don't get delivered what you've paid for, do you really want to give your bank details to a someone you don't have a clue about for a refund, I don't and won't, mabey I'm just being over cautioud.

Have you never sent a cheque then? Got all your bank details on that

16 hours ago, tikka716 said:

Have you never sent a cheque then? Got all your bank details on that

Yep, you're right mate, like the man who's had my money, as he's got my address he could send me a cheque in the post for refund couldn't he, but that's not been suggested, I've asked him to deal with Hermes as he's the one who's got my money and sent the goods and could possibly claim from Hermes, but not heard from him since Saturday.

16 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

Yep, you're right mate, like the man who's had my money, as he's got my address he could send me a cheque in the post for refund couldn't he, but that's not been suggested, I've asked him to deal with Hermes as he's the one who's got my money and sent the goods and could possibly claim from Hermes, but not heard from him since Saturday.

so what's this chap going to do with your account number and sort code? I'm assuming he's a very honest guy but even if he wasn't, without a lot of other personal security information he can't do anything.

I don't know why people get worked up about giving basic account details.  Every cheque you've ever given had the same details on it (as tikka716 noted).  

£45 is £45.

53 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

so what's this chap going to do with your account number and sort code? I'm assuming he's a very honest guy but even if he wasn't, without a lot of other personal security information he can't do anything.

I don't know why people get worked up about giving basic account details.  Every cheque you've ever given had the same details on it (as tikka716 noted).  

£45 is £45.

No,  £45 was £50, I lost a bet with my wife for a fiver who said after a couple of weeks that I wouldn't get my bullets or refund, and I'm not worked up about anything pops, like I said I'm more pi@#ed off with Hermes.

Personally I don’t see the problem with giving someone your account details if they have offered you a full refund,what’s he going to do reach into your account and empty it.

I think your making a mountain out of a molehill as if he refunds you he’s the one out of pocket at the end of the day.!

right,

I’ve read this thread & wasn’t going to post, but feel now that I should .. 

I sent the Parcel in good faith & gave you the tracking number 
I even sent you photos of what was in the parcel & all the Bullets that were loose in the open box - as you had already explained that you had purchased Bullets before that had been ‘pulled’ - to prove that they had not been. 

I kept you posted of any updates & conversation I had with Hermes. 

my last contact with them, the specifically told me that the Bullets were delivered& that there system had a ‘glitch’ 

On the 29th May , You then contacted me & I explained what they said - to which you denied. 
You then contacted Hermes. 

As did I ! 

Since that date I have offered you a full refund & to confirm your bank details

on 9 occasions  !!!!! 

Hermes will not accept liability & as such will not uphold any claim against them. 

I’ve messaged you again today .. 
and again asked you to confirm your bank details, so that I can give you a bank transfer for the funds ! 

Ps ... I dont have a chq book, so your quip on that was rather a mute point !

i find it also funny that you Didn’t have any reservations taking my details to pay me via transfer, but now do when I ask you to confirm them .